• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen

60 posts in this topic

Pretty sure we're on the same page here. The fact that the prices increase beginning when a movie goes in to production, and tank at the moment the movie is released, is evidence that

a) speculators >> collectors

and

b) pre-release flipping follows the greater fool selling pattern (e.g. I paid more than what a collector would be willing to pay for this book, but if I hurry, I can find a greater fool to unload it to before time runs out!)

Im shaking my head at how NOBODY out there even mentions the film... It had so much promise and hype. Very disappointing. As for the 9.6s and 9.8s?? Gee, what a surprise. Wouldnt prices have taken most of the hit anyway even if the film grossed a billion? Theres ZERO scarcity factor to them.

And even if the movie wasn't a big steam pile of :censored: it holds no sequel potential, and other than a possible prequel or two, there was never anything to keep the hype going.

People *investing* in Watchmen CGC slabs likely weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. :insane:

I did very well reselling my slabs last year. (shrug)

Exactly, those people BUYING are the ones I'm referring to. doh!

Yes, I invested in Watchmen slabs than resold them at a healthy profit. doh!

Im shaking my head at how NOBODY out there even mentions the film... It had so much promise and hype. Very disappointing. As for the 9.6s and 9.8s?? Gee, what a surprise. Wouldnt prices have taken most of the hit anyway even if the film grossed a billion? Theres ZERO scarcity factor to them.

And even if the movie wasn't a big steam pile of :censored: it holds no sequel potential, and other than a possible prequel or two, there was never anything to keep the hype going.

People *investing* in Watchmen CGC slabs likely weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. :insane:

doh!doh!doh!

Obviously since this thread is now about the pre-movie run-up on Watchmen slabs, that's what I am referring to, not some guy who bought an extra case of Watchmen #1 in 1986 and then resold them last year.

If you had really "invested" in the way we're talking about, you would have lost a ton of money.

doh!doh!doh!

Obviously since this thread is now about the pre-movie run-up on Watchmen slabs, that's what I am referring to, not some guy who bought an extra case of Watchmen #1 in 1986 and then resold them last year.

If you had really "invested" in the way we're talking about, you would have lost a ton of money.

doh! doh! doh! doh! doh!

Are you not reading what I'm writing? I bought Watchmen slabs in '07 and resold those slabs for mucho profit in '08. I know a few other collectors who did the same thing and made a ton of cash. Most lost money of course, but thankfully I'm not among that lot.

doh!doh!doh!

doh! doh! doh! doh! doh!

Are you not reading what I'm writing? I bought Watchmen slabs in '07 and resold those slabs for mucho profit in '08. I know a few other collectors who did the same thing and made a ton of cash. Most lost money of course, but thankfully I'm not among that lot.

doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!

Buying in '07 for resale in '08 is NOT falling into "movie hype" specu-buying.

You do realize the movie came out in 1009, right?

doh!doh!doh!

doh! doh! doh! doh! doh!

doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!

Buying in '07 for resale in '08 is NOT falling into "movie hype" specu-buying.

You do realize the movie came out in 1009, right?

doh! doh! doh! doh! doh! doh! doh! doh! doh!

You do realize that the film was announced in '07? That's how the true speculators got paid. Nice try though... :acclaim:

You do realize that the film was announced in '07?

Sure, and Iron Fist was announced when... and Power Man, and... meh

:roflmao:

Was Iron Fist and Power Man on the cover of an '07 Wizard with their director Zach Snyder? The cast was announced in late July of that year. Another valiant effort. :/

Wow, you must have a real thin skin for being grouped in with the low-IQ, Wizard-reading speculators. :roflmao:

Get over it.

It was merely a widely publicized example to destroy your argument (not a fan casting post on an obscure blog to bolster your "Power Man" movie quip). Thanks again for the laugh. :D

Wow, you must have a real thin skin for being grouped in with the low-IQ, Wizard-reading speculators. :roflmao:

Get over it.

Seeing that your argument just got destroyed, perhaps it's time for you to just exit gracefully, jc? (thumbs u

Get over it.

It was merely a widely publicized example to destroy your argument

Oh yes, Oh Destroyer of Arguments. :roflmao::roflmao:

You nerds are too much - mention a movie speculator buying comics circa 2008-2009 at nosebleed prices, and all these yahoos jump out of the woodwork claiming they made MILLIONS on speculating Watchmen comics... well before hand of course. :screwy:

I guess I made a mint speculating on New X-Men books too, right? lol

Get over it.

You nerds are too much - mention a movie speculator buying comics circa 2008-2009 at nosebleed prices, and all these yahoos jump out of the woodwork claiming they made MILLIONS on speculating Watchmen comics... well before hand of course. :screwy:

(shrug) Your hyperbole has nothing to do with what we were discussing. You were wrong and that's the end of it. :/

Get over it.

(shrug) Your hyperbole has nothing to do with what we were discussing. You were wrong and that's the end of it. :/

No, we were talking about speculators paying nosebleed prices for Watchmen comics based on movie hype, while you're talking about pre-buying Watchmen comics, in anticipation of the movie, to scam the speculators with.

Two totally different animals, and anyone can see that.

If not, then anyone buying any comic at any time is a speculator, and that's insane.

If you were actually in there with the movie speculators, then you would have lost a TON - maybe you did, and that's why you're so bitter and angry? hm

Get over it.

No, we were talking about speculators paying nosebleed prices for Watchmen comics based on movie hype, while you're talking about pre-buying Watchmen comics, in anticipation of the movie, to scam the speculators with.

Two totally different animals, and anyone can see that.

If not, then anyone buying any comic at any time is a speculator, and that's insane.

If you were actually in there with the movie speculators, then you would have lost a TON - maybe you did, and that's why you're so bitter and angry? hm

Weren't you the one who called us "nerds" for pointing out your errors? Please show the post displaying my bitterness and anger. I think it's obvious to everyone that it's the other way around. lol