• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got Fantagraphics new Blazing Combat anthology!

8 posts in this topic

Hurrah! This finally came in the mail today, after a long delay. I've given it a quick look-through and it's just fantastic.

The book is hardcover and the binding seems tight, much better than some of the Marvel hardcovers. The artwork has been shrunk just a teeny little bit, but the reproduction is crisp and beautiful.

On the con side, there's no full-size, color reproductions of the Frazetta covers, which is too bad. You get them all, but they're tiny.

On the plus side, hmmm, let's see: Colon, Crandall, Heath, Morrow, Orlando, Toth, Severin and Wood (and others!), and the mighty pen of Archie Goodwin.

Oh, man, there's one Heath story, "Give and Take," that just looks incredible.

If you're like me and gave up ever finding an affordable copy of #1, this is an excellent way to go.

I have thought about picking that up too, I have been sort of lazy about buying it since I have 2 or 3 sets of all 4 ;)

:P

Guess I could lie and say I have never read these books you speak of..... ????

I will still probably pick it up, just a little bummed the covers are not full size and the overall size is reduced. It sounds like the Creepy & Eerie archives by Dark Horse is done a bit better, gotta love those full page covers.

These are still some of the best war stories ever and would have been a great series if it was allowed to continue.

I have thought about picking that up too, I have been sort of lazy about buying it since I have 2 or 3 sets of all 4 ;)

:P

Guess I could lie and say I have never read these books you speak of..... ????

I will still probably pick it up, just a little bummed the covers are not full size and the overall size is reduced. It sounds like the Creepy & Eerie archives by Dark Horse is done a bit better, gotta love those full page covers.

These are still some of the best war stories ever and would have been a great series if it was allowed to continue.

Just Funnin with you!! Everyone knows you have the ultimate collection of Frazetta! (worship)

It does not surprise me to hear you have the book in multiples! :headbang:

"Oh, man, there's one Heath story, "Give and Take," that just looks incredible."

Is this the story from issue #4? -never mind, I just ran upstairs and checked. It is. My all-time favorite drawn story. Ever. Mr. Heath is a master. I just might have to pick up a copy of this...

Yup, that's the one.

I have a beater copy of issue 4.

The crispiness of the artwork in the reprint makes it practically leap off the page and strangle you.

I started reading this the other night and the very first story in the first issue is actually quite timely.