• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed on time payments

34 posts in this topic

Mine is too! thumbsup2.gif

That's at least 3 people named Chris here. stooges.gif

Another Chris here.

And I recently purchased a couple books on time payments from Barginbox. Asked for 3 months to pay $700 if I hit BIN. He said okay and I paid in full in a month. I really appreciated him letting me pay over time and I will definitely buy from him again.

Mine is too! thumbsup2.gif

That's at least 3 people named Chris here. stooges.gif

Another Chris here.

And I recently purchased a couple books on time payments from Barginbox. Asked for 3 months to pay $700 if I hit BIN. He said okay and I paid in full in a month. I really appreciated him letting me pay over time and I will definitely buy from him again.

Hi Chris hi.gif

I have had nothing but great transactions with bargainbox. thumbsup2.gif

Ask for a down payment of 10-15 percent, have him sign a written promissory note. If he breaks the note, you keep the down payment as per the agreement.

Hey Brian

I forgot to mention that in his first email, he mentioned that he will be putting down 25% of the total price. I have already responded with a quick email to the effect that I would entertain the idea of providing time-payment arrangements provided he would abide by some terms and conditions.

I haven't spent a great deal of time on this, but I have put together what I think are some important terms and conditions (some of the terms you'll notice come from the suggestions made in this post -- thanks again guys thumbsup2.gif) to protect the interests of both parties in an agreeement that can be conveniently filled out online (the email and fax idea quickly lost its appeal):

Time Payment Agreement

Let me know if this makes sense to you guys. I'm planning to fire this off to the potential buyer after I hear back from him (probably not until the New Year). Which reminds me.... Happy New Year fellow forumites drinks_cheers.gif

Wiz -

That agreement looks fair (and formal!) to me. I don't think the buyer should have any problems with those terms. You even offer up a 5% discount on the final price if the terms are met. I'd go with it.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I thought the 5% discount could serve as an incentive to pay off the book in four months (maybe earlier). I would have liked to make it more, but the reality is that if he opts for PayPal to make his payments, it all adds up. And I agree that it is fair, and makes some headway in convincing the buyer that I'm not asking more from him than to make good on his payment. We'll see what happens.

I've bought books with time payments from quite a few dealers and indivuals and i find that the worst case scenario is that a payment might be stretched, a bit longer than agreed but as long as you're following through with the seller and have done biz with him before, it's no problem. Most people are understanding as long as you stay in contact. as far as a written agreement, i haven't done that before. But sending an e-mail with my name on it , going back and forth between the two parties involved, isn't that in writing ??-

The "re-stocking" fee isn't a bad thing. I think 15% of a thousand dollar book is fair, but 20-25% is a little extreme. -