• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4 FC Bleached!!!!!

23 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310142547841&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I asked the seller of this book to send me some bigger scans of the FC and BC. Plus a pic. of the interior. I also asked if they knew of any type of restoration. They have said in there reply to me that they have bleached part of the FC.

So if anyone here was considering this book. Just remember the book is now most likely a PLOD. They tried bleaching this book themselves. :screwy:

What's wrong with that? (shrug)

I wonder if he used Clorox or Linco? He also states in the listing since its being sold with no reserve, the winner will own it when the auction ends. I guess thats a round about way of saying "NO REFUNDS"?

DRX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310142547841&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I asked the seller of this book to send me some bigger scans of the FC and BC. Plus a pic. of the interior. I also asked if they knew of any type of restoration. They have said in there reply to me that they have bleached part of the FC.

So if anyone here was considering this book. Just remember the book is now most likely a PLOD. They tried bleaching this book themselves. :screwy:

Possibly the area that corresponds to the big stain on the interior front cover. And that heavy tanning doesn't help the grade, either.

The Pages appear to be Cream at best, The FC has it's fair share of problems as well. Yet the seller says the book is a 6.0.. More like a 3.5 Possible 4.0!!!

No way that book is a 6.0 to me. Too much dirt on the spine, nice size chip on the outer edge. Also it looks like a long scratch or crease going up at an angle on the outside edge of the B.C. And lots of general wear. But he says its XLNT.

drx

If they really did bleach a portion of the cover without washing it out, that's one of the worst things you can do to paper.

Bleach will eat paper up.

:(

Everybody is asking us if there has been any restoration or if we will guarantee that CGC will rate it highly. This is a comic for a lover of comics who wants to read it and enjoy the art, not seal it away as an investment.

In other words 'Don't submit it or you'll get it back as a 4.0 PLOD'. It's a damn shame some poeple will never read between the lines, or just read the lines in this case.

They also mentioned in the description that it was color touched. Shall we lament that as well?

They also mentioned in the description that it was color touched. Shall we lament that as well?

They edited their auction description McFly.

Please try and keep up.

:makepoint:

But I do like how she worded it, "on this one,. Joe used a mild bleach solution"

Well what did Joe do to other books they are selling?

They edited their auction description McFly.

Please try and keep up.

:makepoint:

But I do like how she worded it, "on this one,. Joe used a mild bleach solution"

Well what did Joe do to other books they are selling?

I figured they changed the description. That wasn't my point. My point is, who cares if someone performed amateur restoration on a low grade copy of Avengers #4? The internet is full of pictures of books with amateurish, sloppy work on them. Some of those books are even keys. Remember the infamous Detective Comics #35? lol Now THAT is a book worth starting a thread about! :banana:

I figured they changed the description. That wasn't my point. My point is, who cares if someone performed amateur restoration on a low grade copy of Avengers #4?

Who cares?, the poor guy who bought it not knowing it was restored before they edited their description might care.

To him it might have been a grail purchase,who then used his CGC coupon and got back a purple label because he didnt know to ask upfront what was done to the book. Bad seller that TFL called out correctly imho. :sumo:

So stop being such a Negative Nancy!

But to their credit they did disclose it was only read once. :roflmao:

Like I mentioned earlier. The seller has it listed as a 6.0 They also have a little notice about grading. Pretty much says ^%$#@ off. Don't tell us the book is a lower grade,etc.

:screwy:

I love this part where the memory goes blank. Is that you Hilary?

" We've had this and many similar comics for over 45 years and can't always remember if we had done anything to improve the appearance or what we might have done."

This listing is a great example of how "not to sell a comic". Thanks for posting it.

DRX