• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Werewolf By Night #32....A steal at this price.

189 posts in this topic

You never answered my question: were YOU buying comics back then?

Yep...and I'm not looking at revisionist history unlike you...

And NM #87 and X-Men #248 were annotated as 2nd prints not reprints... hm

Jim

There is no revisionist history but yours, but thanks for answering my question.

And Star Wars #1 were annotated as reprints, but are correctly called 2nd, 3rd, 4th printings...so what? The gold 2nd print Marvels were not made for speculators, and New Mutants #98 wasn't a "huge seller", nor did it sell out, or it would have gone back to the presses.

You can't have a disagreement without getting melodramatic?

It sold very well...and apparently more than you realize...

There are 808 copies currently on the the census in 9.4 or higher. 301 in 9.8 or higher. That's a pretty good indication the issue isn't in any sort of short supply.

Jim

That proves nothing. 808 copies out of 300,000 or so? Less than 1/4th of 1%.

By 1991, everyone and their mother was saving comics in "mint" condition. That's how I swung 7 9.8s out of the original 15 that I bought.

So you agree that 300K are out there? What the hell are we debating this then?

Jim

Did you just skip the post where I stated "I was thinking about sold, not printed"....?

You know, where I linked the Statement of Ownership numbers from NM #99?

And no, there are NOT 300,000 copies "out there." As was typical, at least 1/3 of those were RETURNS from newsagents.

I don't have the exact print run for NM #98. Neither do yo. Neither does anyone but Marvel (maybe) and the printer (maybe.) We can reasonably deduce that about 300,000 copies were printed, based on SoOs. We can also reasonably deduce that about 1/3 of those were returned. We can also reasonably deduce that the issue did not "sell out", either through Marvel, or Diamond, or Capital City, because there was no second printing. Marvel did not DO "second printings" for books that did not sell out, then OR now. If they wanted to make a variant for Speculators, they did just that: made a variant. Not a "second printing."

NM #98 was NOT a "hot issue" when it came out, other than being part of a larger X-men/Cable, and to a lesser extent, Liefeld, explosion of the time.

There's no reason to believe that NM #98 was printed in higher numbers than surrounding issues; in fact, the opposite is likely because it was not X-Tinction Agenda. I would not be surprised in ANY way if NM #97 was both printed in, and sold, higher amounts than NM #98.

I don't think that 1/3 of the print run was returned by news agents. At the time we're talking about (1991), Marvel had shifted the bulk of its publishing to the direct market, which did not allow for returns.

I don't think that 1/3 of the print run was returned by news agents. At the time we're talking about (1991), Marvel had shifted the bulk of its publishing to the direct market, which did not allow for returns.

No offense, but that's just not true, as the Statement of Ownership in #99 demonstrates:

New Mutants (1983 1st Series) #64

Marvel: Jun 1988

Original cover price: $1.00

Part of series Print Run Statistics

The resurrection of Cypher in "Instant Replay!" -script by Louise Simonson, pencils by Bret Blevins, inks by Terry Austin. Statement of ownership--average print run 347,712; average paid circulation 223,667. Blevins/Austin cover.

New Mutants (1983 1st Series) #74

Marvel: Apr 1989

The X-Terminators guest star in "The Right Stuff." -script by Louise Simonson, pencils by Bret Blevins, inks by Bob Wiacek. Roger Rabbit cameo. Statement of ownership--average print run 352,295; average paid circulation 235,180. Blevins cover.

New Mutants (1983 1st Series) #89

Marvel: May 1990

Cable and the Freedom Force guest star in "The Gift." -script by Louise Simonson, pencils by Rob Liefeld, inks by Hilary Barta. Statement of ownership--average print run 313,910; average paid circulation 210,335. Liefeld/Todd McFarlane cover.

New Mutants (1983 1st Series) #99

Marvel: Mar 1991

"The Beginning of the End," part 2. -script by Fabian Nicieza, plot and art by Rob Liefeld. Statement of ownership--average print run 289,387; average paid circulation 182,499. Liefeld cover (based on John Byrne's cover for Uncanny X-Men 138).

The bulk of distribution was not switched over to the Direct Market until 1994, during the abortive Heroes World/Marvel exclusive debacle.

Does anyone here speak jive?

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em...

...leg 'er down an' smack 'em yak 'em! COL' gots to be! Sheeeiiiiit.

-slym

Friggin classic! :headbang: