• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Card Community - Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

105 posts in this topic

This link was sent to me today b/c I happen to be quoted.

Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

It is an interesting, but brief, attempt at creating a discussion within the sports card community as to how that community should look upon restoration. The question is raised whether we, in the comic book community, have it right, i.e., our views, when it comes to restoration.

As many of you may know, the card community has been besieged in recent years with allegations of scandal and fraud involving restoration.

Mark,

There are some differences. Pressing in the card business can be detected and is considered resto. Just got back a T206 last year that had been pressed. Beckett would not slab.

Lots of new cards can be trimmed because of very slight natural differences in card size. I know someone that does this to get Beckett 9.5 and PSA 10s (he has made LOTS of money doing this)

Mark,

There are some differences. Pressing in the card business can be detected and is considered resto. Just got back a T206 last year that had been pressed. Beckett would not slab.

Lots of new cards can be trimmed because of very slight natural differences in card size. I know someone that does this to get Beckett 9.5 and PSA 10s (he has made LOTS of money doing this)

:o

This link was sent to me today b/c I happen to be quoted.

Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

It is an interesting, but brief, attempt at creating a discussion within the sports card community as to how that community should look upon restoration. The question is raised whether we, in the comic book community, have it right, i.e., our views, when it comes to restoration.

As many of you may know, the card community has been besieged in recent years with allegations of scandal and fraud involving restoration.

Authorities were at the National last year and I understand lots of high rollers were shaking in their shoes. Both auction houses and national dealers.

Mark,

How are the card grading companies detecting pressed items? And how reliably?

Mark,

They have ways to tell. Vintage cards have certain sizes and thickness. Obviously cardboard is a little thicker than newsprint. :baiting:

Mark,

They have ways to tell. Vintage cards have certain sizes and thickness. Obviously cardboard is a little thicker than newsprint. :baiting:

You wonder about the reliability, though. Sure, a card squashed to half normal thickness would be obvious, but could a 20% thickness loss be accounted for by stacking over years or variable paper stock thickness? I would suspect so....

It would be tough, I think. I could certainly see non-standardized paper/cardboard used with variable thicknesses. Did Topps ever run the presses more than once when producing their card runs?

I'd be surprised if they determine it by measuring a card's thickness. I know that with comics, pressure isn't the main factor in eliminating a non-color-breaking, non-paper-fiber-breaking crease--heat and/or humidity are. I would imagine the same is true of cards, but that's just a hypothesis, I've never collected cards.

I still believe certain types of comic book pressing will become detectable. I've got some ideas on how to do it that I haven't experimented with yet, so I'm highly interested in how the card guys are doing it.

I think pressing should be outlawed! :devil:

^^

But since it can't be detected on a comic.......and the added profit incentive involved :o .....I don't think it will

That's what sucks about pressing comics. As long as people press the books as close as they can to minty freshness and reap the rewards of "acceptable restoration" large profits will continue to be made.

Mark,

U know KB?

Mark,

They rarely do if ever. You can just put a card in a thick screw down holder and leave it overnight...wallah you have a fixed corner in some instances.

I'd be surprised if they determine it by measuring a card's thickness. I know that with comics, pressure isn't the main factor in eliminating a non-color-breaking, non-paper-fiber-breaking crease--heat and/or humidity are. I would imagine the same is true of cards, but that's just a hypothesis, I've never collected cards.

I still believe certain types of comic book pressing will become detectable. I've got some ideas on how to do it that I haven't experimented with yet, so I'm highly interested in how the card guys are doing it.

Well the T206 I got back did have a very light line across the card which looked suspicious. Maybe that is what they looked at.

But I do believe I have been told they certainly look at the thickness of the cards?