• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Card Community - Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

105 posts in this topic

You can refer to it as an emotional stance but, when I purchase a book, I am looking for one from the past that has not been altered to enhance it in any way. I want something that is truly original.

Yes, I believe that to be "emotional".

With that said, you should collect comics any way you want to (thumbs u

My collecting habits, not buying and selling for profit, are almost completely based on emotions. I buy comic books I love to read and collect original comic art and sketch covers that I love look at.

This link was sent to me today b/c I happen to be quoted.

Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

It is an interesting, but brief, attempt at creating a discussion within the sports card community as to how that community should look upon restoration. The question is raised whether we, in the comic book community, have it right, i.e., our views, when it comes to restoration.

As many of you may know, the card community has been besieged in recent years with allegations of scandal and fraud involving restoration.

It really is a shame that every thread that attempts to raise an issue or awareness concerning restoration in general has to devolve into a debate into the pros and cons of pressing, or the degree to which it can be detected. The more important debate would be on whether the technique is actually restorative, particularly b/c neither the pros nor the cons, nor the question of detection, has anything to do with the restorative debate, but I digress.

There are so many important facets involving restoration, including the unfair stigma it currently has in our hobby, that could be addressed. Instead, some "younger" forumites, who luckily for them didn't go through the debates we had 2-3 years ago, make a comment about pressing and the usual people come out of the woodwork to comment as if it the word "pressing" is programmed into their search engine.

The real issue that would be helpful to discuss is why restoration is viewed differently in various hobbies, and to learn from the lessons experienced by other hobbies in dealing with the issues. I, for one, find it very interesting that restorative techniques applied to paper collectibles generally are not viewed in as negative a fashion as it is with comics, although this is most likely because comics exists in multiple numbers while the letter I have from Robert Todd Lincoln is one of a kind. I'd also love to see deeper discussion of conservation vs restoration. I think rusty staples should be permitted to be removed and replaced with vintage staples. I don't believe that should be a form of restoration that would cause a book to be devalued though I believe the act needs to be disclosed.

Anyway, I'm disappointed in myself for even writing this much in the General Section. rantrant

Although it did give me the opportunity to see this cool new icon: I like it. :slapfight:

I think I'll follow Borock around and use it! :baiting:

It is an interesting, but brief, attempt at creating a discussion within the sports card community as to how that community should look upon restoration. The question is raised whether we, in the comic book community, have it right, i.e., our views, when it comes to restoration.

As many of you may know, the card community has been besieged in recent years with allegations of scandal and fraud involving restoration.

It really is a shame that every thread that attempts to raise an issue or awareness concerning restoration in general has to devolve into a debate into the pros and cons of pressing, or the degree to which it can be detected. The more important debate would be on whether the technique is actually restorative, particularly b/c neither the pros nor the cons, nor the question of detection, has anything to do with the restorative debate, but I digress.

There are so many important facets involving restoration, including the unfair stigma it currently has in our hobby, that could be addressed. Instead, some "younger" forumites, who luckily for them didn't go through the debates we had 2-3 years ago, make a comment about pressing and the usual people come out of the woodwork to comment as if it the word "pressing" is programmed into their search engine.

The real issue that would be helpful to discuss is why restoration is viewed differently in various hobbies, and to learn from the lessons experienced by other hobbies in dealing with the issues. I, for one, find it very interesting that restorative techniques applied to paper collectibles generally are not viewed in as negative a fashion as it is with comics, although this is most likely because comics exists in multiple numbers while the letter I have from Robert Todd Lincoln is one of a kind. I'd also love to see deeper discussion of conservation vs restoration. I think rusty staples should be permitted to be removed and replaced with vintage staples. I don't believe that should be a form of restoration that would cause a book to be devalued though I believe the act needs to be disclosed.

Anyway, I'm disappointed in myself for even writing this much in the General Section. rantrant

Although it did give me the opportunity to see this cool new icon: I like it. :slapfight:

I think I'll follow Borock around and use it! :baiting:

I like the fact that you are now saying what I have been saying for years! You are finally getting it! (thumbs u (worship)

BTW.....only came on when I was sent a link to the thread with my name being attached to a very negative post.

Oh, and Mark, you can :slapfight: me anytime you want, heck some people would pay for that! :blush:

Where's the image of Donald duck pressing the heck out of a valuable stamp to get India Ink off it. Donald was an expert cleaner, one of the better 1980's Gladstones. Anyone remember that story line?

The sports card business has had a 30+ year jump on the comic grading business.

Apples and oranges.

Still two very different businesses.

CAL :makepoint:

It is just something stupid that sort of became CAL's trademark.

I used to use Smilies on each and every post - people whined like little girls

Then I would post scans of my 'hoardes" and tell people how many I added/subtracted in different years - they cried some more

Now I do this Bob Dolesque tongue-in-cheek stuff and many get riled over this "nothingness".

Just tryin' to be mice elf

CAL used a bit from Sly & the Family Stone

My brother's friend Cyntia, she does that even when she is there! "Oh, Cynthia does not like that pudding!" "can Cynthia get some of that cake?"..kinda' weird, we're use to it though, I think she started it in High School..

*Whew!!!*

I was scared that I had competiton on this Forum!!!

CAL headed off to eBay for "digging for 9.2's dressed in 8.0 wolf's slobberings"

I think no one wants to post now.. it's just a matter of time before I get the "You both are homos" post that I have gotten from DiceX for two days straight..tic toc tic toc