• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Card Community - Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

105 posts in this topic

The real issue that would be helpful to discuss is why restoration is viewed differently in various hobbies, and to learn from the lessons experienced by other hobbies in dealing with the issues.

Just about any kind of resto is acceptable to movie poster collectors.

Absolutely no resto is acceptable to baseball card collectors.

Does that help?

Educational information is always helpful. (thumbs u

In fact, this distinction is actually quite intriguing.

Comics - paper, multiple copies, restoration mostly stigmatized

Movie posters - paper, multiple copies, restoration acceptable

Baseball cards - paper (cardboard), multiple copies, restoration unacceptable

:popcorn:

I think it's hard(for me anyways) to speak from a position of experience on anything but Comics. But that wont stop me from talking about other hobbies.

:D

As I understand it Movie Posters in general were folded when distributed, so countless posted were reinforced over the years along the seams or they would be have been in pieces. Even reparing them even before they split seems to be embraced as normal to a majority of poster collectors.(Pov, anybody?) And it sounds more conservative then restorative so it makes me wonder where they draw the line of what is ok, and whats not as I am sure they would all love to own unrestored posters if given a choice, but like comics collectors maybe all they can afford is a lesser copy that was repaired.

Baseball card Collectors seems to hate trimmed cards more then anything else, and seeing that is the easiest way to improve a card aside from pressing because there are no moving parts or hinge lines to repair or restore it sounds like card collectors view restoration as unnecessary compared to having a comic with a popped centerfold re attached.

Comics collectors seem to view restoration on different levels, many times from a personal preference. But in the end even though there are multiple copies of every comic those numbers start to dwindle the closer you get to the keys. And of those books that are in disrepair many will get work done. So it will be interesting in our hobby to see if people will separate books that were restored with conservation in mind vs fully restored. Or if people will always want the highest technical grade even if it means adding a load of foreign material.

I would prefer the former to become accepted myself

I hit the "tired of the repetitive pressing debates" a year or so ago.

You endured about 3 years longer than I could. Endless pressing arguments is one of the main reasons I stopped reading these boards in 2005. :frustrated:

I hit the "tired of the repetitive pressing debates" a year or so ago.

You endured about 3 years longer than I could. Endless pressing arguments is one of the main reasons I stopped reading these boards in 2005. :frustrated:

Are you sure Warcraft had nothing to do with it? :whistle:

Are you sure Warcraft had nothing to do with it? :whistle:

Well that was the main reason, but I kept on reading for months after I stopped actively collecting. When it became abundantly clear that the majority of the ferver and thoughtful debate in the forums was being focused on a weekly basis into a neverending debate over something that nobody yet has any functional resolution for...it became rather frustrating. :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

I'm a purist when it comes to the issue of restoration in comics. If a comic has something done to it........pressing, color touch, cleaning, trimming, etc. etc., to me that's restoration.

Saying that, I'm certainly not against some comics being restored. To preserve (here's that other word again :baiting:) and protect it is sometimes justified.

But from an ethical standpoint, it should always be disclosed.

My 2c