• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got back my PGX re-sub from CGC ................

132 posts in this topic

I wouldn't buy a book in a PGX slab. Who knows what was done to the book before it was slabbed. It's certainly a gamble one takes.

If you are not paying a premium for the PGX slab, why not? It's no more risky than buying raw from your run of the mill ebay seller.

Certainly I would avoid high dollar PGX books due to the questionable issues surrounding some sellers close to PGX. That said, chances are the vast majority of books in PGX slabs have had some sort of fair resto check and grading.

+1

I have had very good luck buying and cracking PGX 9.8s for CGC Signature Series. Am I taking a risk, sure I am. But for the heavy discount, even on Mods, it has worked out for me every time.

I've sent 3 PGX books to CGC and two came back lower by 1.5 and the other came back same grade PLOD. (shrug)

Just thought I would add something really enlightening to this thread.

:slapfight: to myself for this post.

Trimming? Colour-touch?

I'm thinking trimming. hm

Nick - Unbelievably SA - Cover reinforced with glue. That's it. It's cracked out to be placed on my old spinner rack when I set it up.

doh!

You have a spinner rack??? :o

(worship) (worship) (worship):cloud9:

Those spinner racks were murder on comics. The local paper store in my neighborhood had those. We would run down on Thursday when the comics came in. There would be so many packed in the individual racks the front ones would already be bent over screaming for relief. We didnt care as kids, we just wanted to run home with a handful of ten-cent books.

DRX

I wouldn't buy a book in a PGX slab. Who knows what was done to the book before it was slabbed. It's certainly a gamble one takes.

If you are not paying a premium for the PGX slab, why not? It's no more risky than buying raw from your run of the mill ebay seller.

Certainly I would avoid high dollar PGX books due to the questionable issues surrounding some sellers close to PGX. That said, chances are the vast majority of books in PGX slabs have had some sort of fair resto check and grading.

I agree! I'd stay away from those PGX 9.9 or 10s, but what really is the difference between buying a PGX and a raw book off of the bay? Unless the seller lives in Oregon, then you might have a problem. lol

So, is the moral of this thread that I can quit school and get rich off of resubbing PGX books?

So, is the moral of this thread that I can quit school and get rich off of resubbing PGX books?

Well depends on what you are going to school for. There aren't too many jobs out here right now. Cracking and resubbing PGX books might earn you the same amount as a newspaper boy!

PGX has been all over the place in my experience. I'm not planning on buying any of their slabs again. They are pretty easy on back cover defects... CGC is not.