• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Night Nurse, The Cat, Shanna the She-Devil

60 posts in this topic

Are there other examples like these, where a few titles were released at the same time, lasted a short while and now one is expensive and the others fairly cheap?

There others, like the L'il Pals/Kids example I posted. There were other series released at the same time and failed. But overall, it tends to boil down to genre.

Romance and humor BA titles had much lower print runs and exposure (some stores just didn't order/get them) than more popular ones like superhero, sword and sorcery, horror, etc.

I think this is the main reason that Night Nurse is more in demand.

I don't see Night Nurse being a high-demand comic ( :insane: ) and if it was, the book prices would absolutely skyrocket. It's just one of those semi-rare, esoteric 1972-73 books, like L'il Pals/Kids, Millie and Chili, that somewhat valuable in high-grade.

I'd have to disagree. Throw 50 mid-grade books up in the marketplace for a affordable price and bet they'd blow out.

That doesn't mean it's "high demand". I collect those books and very few people share my passion for esoteric, short-run Bronze like this.

I do (thumbs u

me too!

I sincerely doubt you would go hog-wild over "50 mid-grade books up in the marketplace". doh!

No... I share your passion for esoteric, short-run Bronze like this.

Even 9.4's :o:kidaround:

My Chili 1, Demon 1, Vault of Evil 1 and a couple other obscure Horror titles are not uber high grade.

But are they "mid-grade" as the OP stated? :baiting:

(shrug) I have mid grade raw copies too :headbang:

Looking at eBay right now, there are nine or so issues of Night Nurse available through Buy It Now. One is a 9.6 slabbed copy of the third issue, which is supposedly the highest graded copy, for $999.99. But you can get VG- copy of the first issue for $57 or a VG+ for $74. Or a very fine copy for $168.80. Or a very good for $24.99.

On the other hand, someone is selling all four issues of The Cat and the bidding is at $11.61. Or you can get them all for $39.95. Other high grade copies are more expensive. A 9.6 slabbed copy of the first issue of Shanna the She-Devil is at $9.99 at the moment.

And the prices for Night Nurse are high because so many people think it is hard to find so they are willing to pay more than they should? Plus, perhaps, there may just be fewer copies? I find this all very interesting, truth be told. Are there other examples like these, where a few titles were released at the same time, lasted a short while and now one is expensive and the others fairly cheap?

Watch out, hjaymcfrye----some of those are Mile High Chuck's copies of Night Nurse, so the prices are already way off. The others are mycomicshop, and there are many boardies who disagree with their grading (I have been both pleased and burned, so it's fifty-fifty for me).

Also, that slabbed copy on eBay has been for sale at that price for a very very long time (and a slabbed #1 on comiclink has been languishing for even more time).

Are there other examples like these, where a few titles were released at the same time, lasted a short while and now one is expensive and the others fairly cheap?

There others, like the L'il Pals/Kids example I posted. There were other series released at the same time and failed. But overall, it tends to boil down to genre.

Romance and humor BA titles had much lower print runs and exposure (some stores just didn't order/get them) than more popular ones like superhero, sword and sorcery, horror, etc.

Don't forget the hoarding factor, which had already kicked in by the late 60s/early 70s, when people realized that superhero books could sell for big money. Because of this, many, many superhero books (especially Marvels) were bought and held for the day they could be cashed in.

Stuff that was "girly" or "juvenille" (like JC mentioned, the romance titles, also humor, Archie, etc.) was not considered good "speculation" material and so fewer copies, especially HG copies, were hoarded. (There are lots of Archies around, just not many HG copies.)

There's a great magazine called Comic Book Artist. See if you can get ahold of some of the issues put out by TwoMorrows. They had a great series of articles about the begining of the speculation craze in the early 1970s, (along with alot of other collector history) I think in issues 6 and 7.

Not a ton of high grade copies to go around. Esoteric, yes, but there are a fair number of people who want them.

NN #1 Census data:

Mint 10.0 0 0 0 0 0

Mint 9.9 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 1 0 0 0 1

Near Mint + 9.6 5 0 0 0 5

Near Mint 9.4 8 0 0 0 8

Near Mint - 9.2 4 0 0 0 4

Very Fine/Near Mint 8 0 0 0 8

Very Fine + 8.5 9 0 0 0 9

Very Fine 8.0 4 0 0 0 4

Very Fine - 7.5 6 0 0 0 6

Fine/Very Fine 7.0 7 0 0 0 7

Fine + 6.5 1 0 0 0 1

Fine 6.0 5 0 0 0 5

Fine - 5.5 0 0 0 0 0

Very Good/Fine 5.0 3 0 0 0 3

Very Good + 4.5 1 0 0 0

One of those eight 9.4s is up for auction at ComicLink. The asking price? A cool $1,000. ComicsPriceGuide.com has a 9.4 at $100.

In a sense, I'm sort of frustrated I can't find cheap, low grade copies of Night Nurse. On the other hand, I'm sure if I did get my hands on the books I'd find them a huge let down.

One of those eight 9.4s is up for auction at ComicLink. The asking price? A cool $1,000.

If we've finally come to the day that a NM copy of Night Nurse sells for $1K in cash, then you know we're sitting on a huge market bubble.

One of those eight 9.4s is up for auction at ComicLink. The asking price? A cool $1,000.

If we've finally come to the day that a NM copy of Night Nurse sells for $1K in cash, then you know we're sitting on a huge market bubble.

I can't remember what Sullypython paid for the the 9.8, but it was a very pretty penny. The 9.4s and 9.6s are getting the "drag up effect." I guess I will be waiting for the market crash to get my NN #1. :cry:

I can't remember what Sullypython paid for the the 9.8, but it was a very pretty penny. The 9.4s and 9.6s are getting the "drag up effect." I guess I will be waiting for the market crash to get my NN #1. :cry:

Find a raw copy and sub it. They aren't just flying out of bins at the cons. (shrug)

I can't remember what Sullypython paid for the the 9.8, but it was a very pretty penny.

Anyone have GPA/personal info on what the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies sold for in the past?

I could personally see the lone highest-graded 9.8 selling for a lot, but we're talking about a standard NM copy,or which there are certainly more, selling for $1K - that's lunacy.

I can't remember what Sullypython paid for the the 9.8, but it was a very pretty penny.

Anyone have GPA/personal info on what the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies sold for in the past?

I could personally see the lone highest-graded 9.8 selling for a lot, but we're talking about a standard NM copy,or which there are certainly more, selling for $1K - that's lunacy.

( 9.8 ) (1) $2,250 - - $2,250 Jul-2007

( 9.6 ) (1) $710 - - $710 Apr-2008

( 9.4 ) - - - - $306 Oct-2004

(9.6 ) - - - - $375 Mar-2005

( 9.4 ) - (1) $174 (1) $174 $174 Jun-2008

( 9.6 ) - - - - $241 Sep-2005

( 9.4 ) - (3) $130 (4) $136 $157 Jan-2009

( 9.6 ) - (1) $331 (1) $331 $331 Apr-2009

( 9.4 ) - - - - $114 Jan-2003

Find a raw copy and sub it. They aren't just flying out of bins at the cons. (shrug)

You are a dork. This is a tough book in true HG, comparable, I would say to HFH #1. Not as tough as Li'l Kids, Homer, or Peter the Little Pest, but tough. The wall copies at cons are always more dogged out than your prom date. It is legitimately tough (as much as 70's Marvels can be anyway). If they were lying in bins at cons they would already be subbed. Nik and greggy would have found them all.

( 9.8 ) (1) $2,250 - - $2,250 Jul-2007

( 9.6 ) (1) $710 - - $710 Apr-2008

( 9.4 ) - - - - $306 Oct-2004

(9.6 ) - - - - $375 Mar-2005

( 9.4 ) - (1) $174 (1) $174 $174 Jun-2008

( 9.6 ) - - - - $241 Sep-2005

( 9.4 ) - (3) $130 (4) $136 $157 Jan-2009

( 9.6 ) - (1) $331 (1) $331 $331 Apr-2009

( 9.4 ) - - - - $114 Jan-2003

This info does not have the last sale of the 9.8. My recollection is that it went for 4k. What I do know for sure is that I immediately PM'd Mark Arrand to see if I could buy his undercopy. But Mark told me he didn't buy it, but that he thought that Sullypython had. It showed up later in SP's registry. This would have been about 2 years ago, right before Mark shut down his website.

So who are the people looking for Night Nurse? Collectors who like Oddball stuff (like me), or Bronze-Age completionists, or both? I guess both groups are somehow capable of keeping prices high. (And the sellers seem to be very, very patient, waiting for someone to eventually pony up...)

You are a dork. This is a tough book in true HG, comparable, I would say to HFH #1. Not as tough as Li'l Kids, Homer, or Peter the Little Pest, but tough. The wall copies at cons are always more dogged out than your prom date. It is legitimately tough (as much as 70's Marvels can be anyway). If they were lying in bins at cons they would already be subbed. Nik and greggy would have found them all.

That's not necessarily true. You don't see a lot of them subbed because there isn't a giant demand for them. The biggest interested party would be a picture frame completist, as far as #1 is concerned. That being said, many picture frame collectors aren't interested in the issue as it isn't a superhero title. Put it in a PF Registry set and it would take off.