• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All story oct 1912

78 posts in this topic

Since the other ERB threads have disappeared into the night, I thought I could post some ERB stuff on this thread. If you can't afford $100,000 to buy an All Story from 1912, then you might buy some Tarzan BLBs or hardcover reprints. Found the Cover for Jewels of Opar on line but have a couple of copies of the BLB. This is photoshopped version of one of the copies I found.

4267088809_6a129646fe.jpg2302334888_4e05e2139a.jpg

4315644659_dca655b25b.jpg4315644713_df7fbc4127.jpg4316380032_df7fbc4127.jpg

Since the other ERB threads have disappeared into the night, I thought I could post some ERB stuff on this thread. If you can't afford $100,000 to buy an All Story from 1912, then you might buy some Tarzan BLBs or hardcover reprints. Found the Cover for Jewels of Opar on line but have a couple of copies of the BLB. This is photoshopped version of one of the copies I found.

4267088809_6a129646fe.jpg2302334888_4e05e2139a.jpg

4315644659_dca655b25b.jpg4315644713_df7fbc4127.jpg4316380032_df7fbc4127.jpg

Anyone know for sure which of the above Burt edition was printed first? The green with chalk lettering,(left) or the Green with black lettering (right)?

I have heard conflicting views from ERB experts.

Hello,

I know 2 people who have high grade unrestored copies of the Tarzan All-Story from 1912. Both people believe their copies to be in the 50K range.

People are throwing around a number like 100K, when just over 40K is the most that has ever been spent on one. People think that 1.5million was rediculous for an Action 1, but at least there is a documented sale.

Any of the people that I personally know who could easily afford 100K and are looking for the 1912 issue, would laugh and say "no thanks", so throwing around a 100K value is not realistic until there is a documented sale above, lets say, the 50K mark.

I went ahead and bought the coverless copy on Abe Books.

It has a custom made 19 inch by 13 inch hangable wall case to protect it, as well as a facsimile cover

Here it is:

CASE.jpg

IMG015033.jpg

IMG015042.jpg

INSIDECASE.jpg

it's killa, 'zilla!!!!!!!! big, big congrats.

Hello,

I know 2 people who have high grade unrestored copies of the Tarzan All-Story from 1912. Both people believe their copies to be in the 50K range.

People are throwing around a number like 100K, when just over 40K is the most that has ever been spent on one. People think that 1.5million was rediculous for an Action 1, but at least there is a documented sale.

Any of the people that I personally know who could easily afford 100K and are looking for the 1912 issue, would laugh and say "no thanks", so throwing around a 100K value is not realistic until there is a documented sale above, lets say, the 50K mark.

The last two sales I remember were well above 40,000

I think they were 50,000 plus. And the copys were in the VG range. This is going off memory so I could be off. I think it was heritage that auctioned off the 2 most recent.

Anyway know the answer to the question I posed on the Burt printings of TOTA?

Dwight, the McLaughlin copy sold for $60k and it had slight restoration. Heritage called it a Fine, which I thought was generous (maybe they meant "comic book" Fine). Anyway, I don't think it's completely unreasonable to think that a true, high grade, unrestored copy (say in the FN to VF range) could approach six figures.

I believe that owner of the MacLaughlin copy relisted it on Heritage with a BIN of 100K, which was obviously wishful thinking, or fishing for offers, or he had no real intention of selling.

Really really difficult to find sales Data on All Story Oct 1912

Most Pulp Collectors I talk to are guessing somewhere between 30 and 40 copys worldwide. I have heard estimates of around 20 as well. I think this may be a little low.

The book rarely changes hands and True ERB fans when they get the chance will pounce, recognizing they may not have another opportunity. And they usually hold on to the book.

Im hoping with Tarzans 100th anniversary coming up we will see a serious revival of the hero who started it all!

Theagenes,

I hear what you are staying, but suspiciously I have seen many pulps that sold in the Heritage auction from the McGlouglin(sp) collection, re-sell from 30-50% of the price they went for. I would really like to see a non-Heritage copy sell for at least 50K. If a mid grade copy sells privately for 50K, then definately I would say an ultra high grade newsstand copy could go for near 6 figures, but I will reserve judgement until this happens.

I was just basing my opinion (which might be completely off) on what some of the heavy hitters that are looking for a copy would pay. These are guys that easily afford the 1.5M Action 1. The two copies that I know of in high grade are absolutely knockouts (destroy the McGloughlin copy), yet the big guns would not pay over 50K.

Again, I could be wrong, and two people with endless money could get ino a bidding war and it could go over the 100K

One thing for certain, it is an ultra cool pulp with a great cover, and is extremely difficult to find and (especially in grade) and I would love to own one.

Dwight

OMG, how cool would that be? Or the NC Wyeth paintings from the first two RoT New Storys - any idea where those are?

Could be in the Brandywine Museum with the other Wyeth family paintings but don't really know. Some of his stuff is there with Helga..... :banana: