• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

Back on track just a little, I still think the damage looks like something that would have happened at CGC while the books where being unpacked.

I really don't see Matt sending the book to CGC in that condition.

Not an excuse for Matt, But He does have employees.

When I say, "Matt," it's kind of like the royal we and I include his entire operation under his moniker.

Forgive me for bailing, but I have too many other things to do. Feel free to PM.

Joe

we forgive you; we only wish you'da bailed 35 pages ago.

Back on track just a little, I still think the damage looks like something that would have happened at CGC while the books where being unpacked.

I suggested that about 18 pages ago. When you look at that book coming out of a bag, I can see that spine defect being in-line with tape off the flap.

Big assumption though without seeing the book up close.

I for one hope these books all you guys press dry up and fall apart with in 5 years.

I keep hoping the same thing about your board membership, but I guess we're both SOL.

Of course you do, I don't make you feel better about f-ing up the hobby.

High grade slab collecting accounts for a very small portion of the hobby. Pressing has become rampant because collectors are willing to pay obscene multiples from one grade increment to the next. If it bothers you that much, don't pay those obscene multiples. And if you aren't, I don't see why you have to keep obsessing over the 'f-ing up' of the small portion of the hobby that does.

I suggested that about 18 pages ago. When you look at that book coming out of a bag, I can see that spine defect being in-line with tape off the flap.

It's not that big of an assumption with some of the quality control that has been rolling out of that place lately.

I'm not anti pressing as you all know, but I am a little sad that things have evolved in the relatively short time that I've been a serious vintage buyer to being mostly about how high a grade a book can achieve and "potentializing" a book. I don't begrudge or vilify those who do, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sad about why we collect comics anymore and what is to love about them.

Time to step aside, old tymer, so that progress doesn't run you over. :baiting:

I do understand what Brian (FK) is saying.

I think Pressing is good where it doesn't become your main motivation of collecting. I see a few buyers at conventions that no NOTHING about the stories or the fun of comics and know everything on how to flip books from the presses.

However I do see people in the future like myself that will buy books and separate their books before the send them to CGC as.

1. Books off to CGC that really have no benefit from pressing and will grade out at their fully max value.

2. Books that need pressing before they go to CGC.

I am sure some people on the boards feel I press all the time but fail to know I have only had Matt press 2 Orders so far. (Matt is 10 for 11 BTW, (worship)).

I have fun sending in some selective books for pressing and IMO makes for another fun aspect of the colllecting hobby for me.

I for one hope these books all you guys press dry up and fall apart with in 5 years.

I keep hoping the same thing about your board membership, but I guess we're both SOL.

lol

I know, I know. It's hilarious to think that some of us still consider this a hobby.

I'm not anti pressing as you all know, but I am a little sad that things have evolved in the relatively short time that I've been a serious vintage buyer to being mostly about how high a grade a book can achieve and "potentializing" a book. I don't begrudge or vilify those who do, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sad about why we collect comics anymore and what is to love about them.

Don't confuse the collector mentality with the investor mentality! In all honesty, people have been trying to improve their comics in some form or fashion since they were worth more than cover price. Blame it on money if you will, but pressing this decade was not the start of it. True for all other hobbies as well, I'd imagine.

I understand. Doesn't it seem more rampant today than ever before? I can't remember it being this prevalent pre-CGC.

I'm not blaming or casting a judgment (well I suppose I am in a way) but the advances in the "technology" and the levels of money spread across a larger number of books seems to be making the attitude change... do we still have collectors anymore -- or are we all dealers in some fashion? I like the money making aspect of comics as well, so I'm certainly no model, but I don't see the need to squeeze (quite literally) every drop on every book. Do we admire a beautiful book anymore -- do we value colors and the aesthetics of the covers -- or are we all about CGC grades etc.

Sorry, just rambling.

Forgive me for bailing, but I have too many other things to do. Feel free to PM.

Joe

Maybe you should have bailed out on your 1st post to start this thread. :jokealert:

It's not that big of an assumption with some of the quality control that has been rolling out of that place lately.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Even better, now I have books on their way to Florida. Oh joy!

This thread has given me fantastic comfort. :cry:

Time to step aside, old tymer, so that progress doesn't run you over. :baiting:

I do understand what Brian (FK) is saying.

I think Pressing is good where it doesn't become your main motivation of collecting. I see a few buyers at conventions that no NOTHING about the stories or the fun of comics and know everything on how to flip books from the presses.

However I do see people in the future like myself that will buy books and separate their books before the send them to CGC as.

1. Books off to CGC that really have no benefit from pressing and will grade out at their fully max value.

2. Books that need pressing before they go to CGC.

I am sure some people on the boards feel I press all the time but fail to know I have only had Matt press 2 Orders so far. (Matt is 10 for 11 BTW, (worship)).

I have fun sending in some selective books for pressing and IMO makes for another fun aspect of the colllecting hobby for me.

Yes, but John, you and I share something in common: we both have a hard time maintaining any focus or holding on to many books... we go from Adams, ASMs, etc. Just a year ago, page quality wasn't that important to you. When we buy and sell books like this, it makes it more of a commodities trade. I enjoy comics and even the dealing aspects... but I wonder whether the reason we don't "love" our books the same way collectors of 30 years do is because we are examining what we can make on them first.

Don't confuse the collector mentality with the investor mentality! In all honesty, people have been trying to improve their comics in some form or fashion since they were worth more than cover price. Blame it on money if you will, but pressing this decade was not the start of it. True for all other hobbies as well, I'd imagine.

I understand. Doesn't it seem more rampant today than ever before? I can't remember it being this prevalent pre-CGC.

I'm not blaming or casting a judgment (well I suppose I am in a way) but the advances in the "technology" and the levels of money spread across a larger number of books seems to be making the attitude change... do we still have collectors anymore -- or are we all dealers in some fashion? I like the money making aspect of comics as well, so I'm certainly no model, but I don't see the need to squeeze (quite literally) every drop on every book. Do we admire a beautiful book anymore -- do we value colors and the aesthetics of the covers -- or are we all about CGC grades etc.

Sorry, just rambling.

:hi: Unfortunately most are all about the grade.

Now go buy a book of Watson that he pressed into a 9.0, crack it, press it into a 9.2 and sell it back to him.

That would never happen. Neither Mike nor I would even touch a book unless it weren't at least a 9.4 to begin with... barbarian. :screwy:

High grade slab collecting accounts for a very small portion of the hobby. Pressing has become rampant because collectors are willing to pay obscene multiples from one grade increment to the next. If it bothers you that much, don't pay those obscene multiples. And if you aren't, I don't see why you have to keep obsessing over the 'f-ing up' of the small portion of the hobby that does.

:gossip: The devaluation of 9.0 to 9.4 raw, unpotentializable (how's that for a made up word) books.

No kidding. I personally remember a time when I would bring up the "money", the whole "value" thing, just so family and friends didn't think I was a total geek. "Value" kinda, sorta mattered, but mainly used as a social feint.

Now it's all twisted into some payday-hobby. Folks put in their coin and pull the handle, ...next.

Sad, really. :(

:gossip: The devaluation of 9.0 to 9.4 raw, unpotentializable (how's that for a made up word) books.

How is that a bad thing for someone who considers themselves a "true collector"?