• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

I for one hope these books all you guys press dry up and fall apart with in 5 years.

I keep hoping the same thing about your board membership, but I guess we're both SOL.

Of course you do, I don't make you feel better about f-ing up the hobby.

High grade slab collecting accounts for a very small portion of the hobby. Pressing has become rampant because collectors are willing to pay obscene multiples from one grade increment to the next. If it bothers you that much, don't pay those obscene multiples. And if you aren't, I don't see why you have to keep obsessing over the 'f-ing up' of the small portion of the hobby that does.

:gossip: The devaluation of 9.0 to 9.4 raw, unpotentializable (how's that for a made up word) books.

How is that a bad thing for someone who considers themselves a "true collector"?

(shrug)

I'm not anti pressing as you all know, but I am a little sad that things have evolved in the relatively short time that I've been a serious vintage buyer to being mostly about how high a grade a book can achieve and "potentializing" a book. I don't begrudge or vilify those who do, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sad about why we collect comics anymore and what is to love about them.

No kidding. I personally remember a time when I would bring up the "money", the whole "value" thing, just so family and friends didn't think I was a total geek. "Value" kinda, sorta mattered, but mainly used as a social feint.

Now it's all twisted into some payday-hobby. Folks put in their coin and pull the handle, ...next.

Sad, really. :(

Uh oh, I can feel our common bond starting to give way... :eek:

I'm not anti pressing as you all know, but I am a little sad that things have evolved in the relatively short time that I've been a serious vintage buyer to being mostly about how high a grade a book can achieve and "potentializing" a book. I don't begrudge or vilify those who do, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sad about why we collect comics anymore and what is to love about them.

No kidding. I personally remember a time when I would bring up the "money", the whole "value" thing, just so family and friends didn't think I was a total geek. "Value" kinda, sorta mattered, but mainly used as a social feint.

Now it's all twisted into some payday-hobby. Folks put in their coin and pull the handle, ...next.

How does pressing stop you from enjoying the books in the same way you used to?

Everyone that's posted in this thread needs to relax…and in a calm and orderly fashion…do one of the following:

…get swine flu and die.

…get ebola and die.

...get raped by a monkey, gets AIDS and die.

…get sodomized by a plunger, get an anal infection and die.

…get shanked in prison, get raped in their newly made shank wound and die…while looking at the Ark of the Covenant.

…suffer a painful death by getting launched into space, naked, freeze and then get hit by an asteroid and shatter into a million pieces like the T1000.

There was an owner of a local comic shop I used to go to in Jersey called Dewey's Comic City (Dan Veltre is the owner) and this guy was a hardcore DC collector -- and he loved the books, stories etc. His collection wasn't based on grade (though I'm sure he had some nice books) but rather a genuine love for the comics themselves. I find I meet fewer and fewer people like that, and I wonder if this thread is a representation of where the high grade end of the hobby has landed.

Time to step aside, old tymer, so that progress doesn't run you over. :baiting:

I do understand what Brian (FK) is saying.

I think Pressing is good where it doesn't become your main motivation of collecting. I see a few buyers at conventions that no NOTHING about the stories or the fun of comics and know everything on how to flip books from the presses.

However I do see people in the future like myself that will buy books and separate their books before the send them to CGC as.

1. Books off to CGC that really have no benefit from pressing and will grade out at their fully max value.

2. Books that need pressing before they go to CGC.

I am sure some people on the boards feel I press all the time but fail to know I have only had Matt press 2 Orders so far. (Matt is 10 for 11 BTW, (worship)).

I have fun sending in some selective books for pressing and IMO makes for another fun aspect of the colllecting hobby for me.

Yes, but John, you and I share something in common: we both have a hard time maintaining any focus or holding on to many books... we go from Adams, ASMs, etc. Just a year ago, page quality wasn't that important to you. When we buy and sell books like this, it makes it more of a commodities trade. I enjoy comics and even the dealing aspects... but I wonder whether the reason we don't "love" our books the same way collectors of 30 years do is because we are examining what we can make on them first.

True, but I know deep down we are both always going to love and collect (ASM me and Caps, you).

I am sure fresh in your mind is my Recent ASM HG Sales threads. I knew most of those books were weren't going to sell anyway. (shrug)

My ASM 121 is going back into my not for sale section as most of the other books.

I will agree with you on my ASM 102 it time sell because I can see the last two sales of that book in the same grade and PQ. So for me not sell it and just rebuy it in 9.4 which looks basically the same is :insane: for me not to do so.

I mean I already replaced my ASM 129 9.6 with a nice 9.4 with better centering and PQ.

Some people are just flat out dealers, but you and me buy and sell to better are own collections and of course to make some money on the side.

I will never question you or anyone who does this as we both are in comics for the rights reasons to buy, sell, and have fun doing it. ;)

Everyone that's posted in this thread needs to relax…and in a calm and orderly fashion…do one of the following:

…get swine flu and die.

…get ebola and die.

get raped by a monkey, gets AIDS and die.

…get shanked in prison, get raped in their newly made shank wound and die…while looking at the Ark of the Covenant.

…suffer a painful death by getting launched into space, naked, freeze and then get hit by an asteroid and shatter into a million pieces like the T1000.

lol

because since none of us are perfect, and have our own little blemishes, we used to identify better with our similarly imperfect and blemished books. these pressed abominations are tough to love, because we don't see oursleves reflected in their diminshed-by-moisture-applied-in pressing-process gloss.

Uh oh, I can feel our common bond starting to give way... :eek:

:blush: D'oh.

Damn my purist hide. I try to keep a lid on it. Really.

:/:insane:

I think it affects people differently. One of the effects is that you start looking at your own books more as revenue generators -- and when you look at comics you start seeing dollar signs first. My impression was that it used to be the other way around -- the fact that comics had value was a nice bonus for buying and collecting something you loved. I feel like we're going the other way now.

…get swine flu and die.

…get ebola and die.

get raped by a monkey, gets AIDS and die.

:roflmao:

Exactly. What these guys need to do is go to a convention and spend a day helping out Dale Roberts, Super Ted, Richard Evans or Bob Storms. They will see that most sales are not press-a-minute slabs. They are mostly raw books to guys that have been looking for certain issues in a certain grade for a long time. The press and submit gang and the label chasers are a very small part of the hobby and are mostly represented here on the boards. I would say that 95% of the members are currently on the boards or have been at some time in the past.

Exactly. What these guys need to do is go to a convention and spend a day helping out Dale Roberts, Super Ted, Richard Evans or Bob Storms. They will see that most sales are not press-a-minute slabs. They are mostly raw books to guys that have been looking for certain issues in a certain grade for a long time. The press and submit gang and the label chasers are a very small part of the hobby and are mostly represented here on the boards. I would say that 95% of the members are currently on the boards or have been at some time in the past.

this is very true.

It doesn't.

And I do very well socially, thank you. :insane: It's "the hobby" folks I find harder and harder to relate to (see "Dr. Watson"). :grin:

:o You're not suggesting these Boards are myopic are you? Shocked, I am!

It doesn't.

And I do very well socially, thank you. :insane: It's "the hobby" folks I find harder and harder to relate to (see "Dr. Watson"). :grin:

I don't know whether to take offense or not as I'm not sure what that means. hm

I think it affects people differently. One of the effects is that you start looking at your own books more as revenue generators -- and when you look at comics you start seeing dollar signs first. My impression was that it used to be the other way around -- the fact that comics had value was a nice bonus for buying and collecting something you loved. I feel like we're going the other way now.

For what it's worth FK, I agree with you. I used to collect comics that had nice PQ and eye appeal, now I'm looking for the grade. It's still a great hobby but not quite as much fun.

It doesn't.

I don't know whether to take offense or not as I'm not sure what that means. hm

It's a joke, brother. :gossip: You know, since we're usually on opposite sides during hobby-debates (maybe you haven't noticed, but, yeah, it kinda ends up that way).

Relax. It's all good. ;) (thumbs u

I think the cause of that isn't pressing necessarily, but may be the result of becoming a part time dealer, or "dealing-collector". When you start regularly selling books for profit, whether strictly through flipping, or by pressing then flipping, you're bound to lose sight of why you started collecting in the first place.

(shrug)