• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I'm really happy that I got out of this series about 6 to 8 weeks ago. I'm afraid that the series will continue to cool as it approaches issue 60. IF the TV show gets made and picked up, I think we can expect the price to rise and stabilize until the show airs and who knows what will happen then. I'm afraid that some collectors got nervous when Laymen started working on Detective ... I had one fan tell me that they saw that as a sign that the book would not roll into another titles after issue 60 and a sign that Laymen was hedging his bets on Chew and its prospective TV show. I don't know if others share that sentiment. I personally find the logic suspect, but comic collectors are not always reasonable and rarely motivated by logic. lol

Not that many my friend. I'd certainly be interested in examples since the last one only ended at that because I got distracted. I recently sold quite a few graded issues and was pleasantly surprised by how high they sold for.

I'm really happy that I got out of this series about 6 to 8 weeks ago. I'm afraid that the series will continue to cool as it approaches issue 60. IF the TV show gets made and picked up, I think we can expect the price to rise and stabilize until the show airs and who knows what will happen then. I'm afraid that some collectors got nervous when Laymen started working on Detective ... I had one fan tell me that they saw that as a sign that the book would not roll into another titles after issue 60 and a sign that Laymen was hedging his bets on Chew and its prospective TV show. I don't know if others share that sentiment. I personally find the logic suspect, but comic collectors are not always reasonable and rarely motivated by logic. lol

Layman

And he is only on Detective for a limited time. Of course you're glad you got out. You sold VF/NM copies as NM/M's.

With all due respect I have known it was going to issue 60 since about issue #5. As I have time I'll actually look for when it was 1st mentioned in this thread. I can assure you this has been common knowledge for some time. I had the good fortune to spend some time with the guys and talk to Rob over the last couple of years.

This may be new news for some but it was decided and publicized awhile ago.

Here is a quick mention of it in 2011 and like I said when I have time I'll post earlier references.

During the Chew panel John opened with answering all the questions they get at every Con. One of the 1st 3 questions was "Yes, Chew will run for 60 issues. We get that question all the time".

Here is one article. I really enjoy this book.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-09-Chew27_N.htm

With all due respect I have known it was going to issue 60 since about issue #5. As I have time I'll actually look for when it was 1st mentioned in this thread. I can assure you this has been common knowledge for some time. I had the good fortune to spend some time with the guys and talk to Rob over the last couple of years.

This may be new news for some but it was decided and publicized awhile ago.

Here is a quick mention of it in 2011 and like I said when I have time I'll post earlier references.

During the Chew panel John opened with answering all the questions they get at every Con. One of the 1st 3 questions was "Yes, Chew will run for 60 issues. We get that question all the time".

Here is one article. I really enjoy this book.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-09-Chew27_N.htm

i'd agree w/ this. was very early that Layman said at least 50 issues. there is no way that this series ending at 60 is "news."

i'm at my LCS today and there're like 30 copies of Chew #2 on the rack so i think to myself "guess this one isn't going to be hard to find." i picked out two copies and then the next guy grabs 20 copies. he sees that i've got a copy and says "you picked up chew. cool" and i'm thinking "dang, that should've been me w/ the 20 copies." then he goes "want me to sign it?" i must've had a dumbstruck expression on my face cause the LCS owner wanders over and says "that's john" as in john layman the writer. got him to sign my two copies and got some info- issue #1 print run was 6,000, issue #2 was 9,000. the second print of #1 will be 3,000. he said that #2 was a set up issue and the story really takes off in #3. he has 25 issues planned and if it's successful thinks it'll go to #50. oh, and i tried to grab a couple more but the LCS owner gave me the stiff arm.

I really spend too much time in this thread. I thought you mentioned this before.

And when did they say 60?

I'm confused as to why you would ask this question when you already knew the answer but never mind I probably just missed the point.

Sorry. I was asking Paperheart. I remember him having 1st hand knowledge way back when. I don't know the exact date and sometimes following the book so closely I come across things before they are public knowledge. It's much like spending too much time on the boards. Very often what is hot on the boards isn't even on the horizon to the general public.