• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does Tomorrow's Treatures call Everything a Classic Cover?

51 posts in this topic

I've bought one mid-grade Atlas from him and found it tightly graded - and was listed as having no conservation or restoration - both true - so I would buy that type of book from again - no problem.

Seems like most of the issues are with his terminology and perhaps full disclosure when he lists some repair or restoration has been done.

It was an ebay purchase, so my dealings with him were minimal and I can't speak to personality issues. I made a best offer at 25 or 30% below listed price and it was accepted within a couple hours.

I've bought one mid-grade Atlas from him and found it tightly graded - and was listed as having no conservation or restoration - both true - so I would buy that type of book from again - no problem.

Seems like most of the issues are with his terminology and perhaps full disclosure when he lists some repair or restoration has been done.

It was an ebay purchase, so my dealings with him were minimal and I can't speak to personality issues. I made a best offer at 25 or 30% below listed price and it was accepted within a couple hours.

You wouldn't be the one who took the Venus 16 out of circulation,would you....looked nice, I agonized over it for quite a while.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

if Richard is incorrect in using "classic cover" on every golden age comic he lists.. then why do so many people use the term "the Grail" on so many items from the post-1960 era and even more so for post 1980 era stuff (that modern stuff is to me.. but I'll defer to different age groups having different interests)

seriously, if that many grails supposedly exist in the bronze and modern age stuff.. then everything Richard has listed deserves classic cover designation!!!

Because "grail" is a personal term whereas "classic cover" comes from a consensus. My grail could be your garbage, but we probably both agree that Phantom Lady 17 is a classic cover.

yep I see lots of grails I think are garbage.. But Phantom Lady 17 is an ooh-la-la classic cover

:cloud9:

I have no doubt that the guy is great to deal with when there is no problem...

But sellers aren't judged by how they handle smooth transactions...they're judged on how they handle problems, especially if the problems are of their own making (like most problems on eBay are.)

The book I got was unquestionably a problem book that did not match his description (the dollar amount is irrelevant.) When I approached him about it, his response was not "I'm really sorry, I guess I missed that, how can I fix it?" but rather "too bad, so sad, you got a good deal, take a hike."

As an example of the proper response to a problem, I give Flying Donut. In '03-'04, I bought what was described as a VG/FN Brave & Bold #34. Unfortunately, the cover was completely detached, and glued back on, which FD failed to notice. I was understandably annoyed, because it wasn't what was offered and it was a good price, $84 and change, even back then.

He didn't respond to my annoyance with hostility, defensiveness, or annoyance of his own. He knew he screwed up, and allowed me to express my annoyance. He accepted the book back and gave me a full refund (probably including return shipping, or I'd still be annoyed. ;) )

That's the textbook way to handle a problem. If your customer comes to you with a problem, they're ALREADY annoyed, and if you screwed up, even by accident, they have a right to be annoyed, because you've, at the very least, waste their time. And if you created the problem by missing something, you especially have no right to get annoyed back at your customer. Even if you don't think it's justified, the correct response is always "I'm sorry, how can I fix it and make you a satisfied customer?"

To this day, though, I never did manage to buy another B&B #34. How about it, FD? Freebie on the house...?

:insane:

To disguise the fact that so many of their books are a work in progress...

Better question... Why do they call tape "conservation"?

Because it "conserves" the integrity of the book by keeping the cover attached to the interior. Without the tape, the cover might get lost in the warehouse. :devil:

Even if you don't think it's justified, the correct response is always "I'm sorry, how can I fix it and make you a satisfied customer?"

Works beautifully until you run into one of the unreasonable and unsatisfiable. Unfortunately the customer is not always right, and what some expect as compensation for their wasted time is the bank.

I've been in retail far too long.

Even if you don't think it's justified, the correct response is always "I'm sorry, how can I fix it and make you a satisfied customer?"

Works beautifully until you run into one of the unreasonable and unsatisfiable. Unfortunately the customer is not always right, and what some expect as compensation for their wasted time is the bank.

I've been in retail far too long.

Not an excuse. You always try. You give it a good faith effort, always. If, after giving a good faith effort it doesn't work out, fine. But you have to give every single customer that good faith effort.

You wouldn't be the one who took the Venus 16 out of circulation,would you....looked nice, I agonized over it for quite a while.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No though I wouldn't mind owning a copy - but I'm on a tight budget these days - no purchases over $100

You always try. You give it a good faith effort, always. If, after giving a good faith effort it doesn't work out, fine. But you have to give every single customer that good faith effort.

Bingo (thumbs u

this question should be directed right to Richie. then, we could all spend the next seven hours reading the answer! (aww, he's a cool guy. what would our hobby be like without its rich layers of personalities????)