• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That Acidic Smell

22 posts in this topic

Don't overapply it, don't apply it unevenly, don't get it on the cover or else it'll leave a chalky residue.

Is there a way to get rid of the chalky residue if it is applied to the cover? I have a book that currently has that problem. :pullhair:

Is it visible enough to show up in a scan? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Like atomized magnesium oxide(which I assume it what it's made of and is white and chalky in powder form) sprayed on a glossy surface because it was meant more for interior, newsprint type paper. Depending on how heavy handed they used the spray will determine how chalky it looks.

Aside from wiping it off(which I assume you tried already?) I am not sure. does the residue feel part of the cover now?, or more loose and gritty sitting on the surface?

Edit, just found this listed on Bookeepers website faq regarding being used on glossy paper.

This type of paper will absorb less alkaline buffer and will usually have a light coating on the surface as well. The surface material can be removed by wiping, and the paper will retain some alkaline buffer.

To answer the question (since I've had this problem and tried wiping it off), yes it can be wiped off, but it does not wipe off 100%. If you look really closely you may still be able to notice a difference.

Don't overapply it, don't apply it unevenly, don't get it on the cover or else it'll leave a chalky residue.

Is there a way to get rid of the chalky residue if it is applied to the cover? I have a book that currently has that problem. :pullhair:

Is it visible enough to show up in a scan? I'd like to see what it looks like.

It doesn't show up on a scan. The book is sitting in a CGC holder, so you can't really see it at all. The problem is, CGC gave it a restored grade saying the cover was 'reglossed'. (So a book sprayed with this product is considered restored doh! ) As noted though, the residue left by the spray is actually a dull chalky texture- hardly glossy. Rubbing it has no effect at this point; the book was sprayed about 20 years ago. I'll post the scan.

In fairness to CGC's grading process, CGC had no knowledge of what was done to the cover, just that something is there, so it was classified as a regloss job.