• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Won't Accept

63 posts in this topic

The most offensive defect, in my book, is cover browning. It can make a comic that may have NM structure look like it was left in the garage too long with the stack of old newspapers.

Give me great cover color preservation, and I can be much more tolerant of minor dings and stresses.

Considering that I have FR and incomplete books in my collection - I can't say that there is anything that I won't accept, though some things bother me more than others. Generally I'm more concerned with eye appeal than actual condition and would rather have a technical VG+ with bright colors and general wear than a F/VF with an ugly sun shadow, or major foxing.

I buy alot of low grade Gold and Atom age books, and am least fond of ones that feel fragile, regardless of actual grade. I will accept tape if the price is right, but I really hate it when the entire spine is taped - and am shocked to see slabbed GA books graded at 3.0 with tape along the length of the spine.

I really hate rat chews - they are disgusting to think about.

I don't like writing on the cover (date stamps are o.k.) or missing/partial covers if I can help it. I have some issues in my collection with missing/partial covers, but I'll replace them eventually.

I try to avoid cream to off-white or darker pages on books. I also don't like tanning, but will accept GA books with dust shadows. It's not an aesthetic issue with me, it's about paper longevity.

Date stamps or date writing, distributor markings, original owner signatures (like on Winnipeg copies) I have no problem with especially if it helps identify the provenance of the book.

Tape is bad. I would always have the tape removed because it is destructive to paper.

I really dislike tidelines. These are the darkened edges surrounding waterstains or humidity damage.

Not a big fan of spine roll either.

My real-life comic experiences:

Turn-Offs: mad.gif

- Tape, especially on books that don't need it for any reason

- Large tears or chunks missing, or especially characters heads cut out of interior pages -- just the heads. Like the kid was some wannabe Tutsi Head Hunter

- Tape pulls on otherwise absolutely PRISTINE copies (had an ASM63 like that)

- Amateur tracing of figures (wannabe inkers....)

- Kid's name written on top of cover in ink in grade school cursive style (Gerald Smaldone, I have your comics!)

- Half of a petrified purple Froot Loop cemented onto bottom of cover (wish I had a scan of the Cap 100 I had with this defect (not listed in overstreet grading guide)

Turn-Ons: thumbsup2.gif

- Gloss! Super, shiny, bright, GLOSS!

- Square corners (sorry Dre, no blunts today)

- No creasing (at least till I get that press installed)

I have been looking for an old post of mine (so far to no avail - probably 3 years old) - but in the looking found this and really found it interesting.

So what post were you looking for? Did you finally find it?

On topic, I've decided to collect an early-SA run recently and had to think about my minimum acceptable condition and what defects I will allow.

Allow

Condition : VG or better

Page Quality: Off-White (C/OW is bare minimum since I want nice readable copies)

Cover Quality: Nice bright copies with atleast some gloss and no major wear (i.e. tattered)

Won't Allow

Moisture or Mold (i.e. Foxing)

Stains or other material (i.e. Fruit Loops tongue.gif)

Tears

Tanning/Dust Shadows

Pages/Coupons or pieces from cover missing

Substantial over-wrap (front or back)

Large creases

Tape or tape pulls

Popped staples

Writing on the cover (unless all other conditions are met and the price is right)

Date stamp on the cover (again, unless it's a nice copy at a good price... it's not a big deal and not as important to me as not having writing on the cover)

Spine Roll (avoid whenever possible)

EDIT: I forgot to mention NO restoration (unless it's an early HG issue and I'm getting the appropriate discount for it being a restored copy).

The two things I absolutely won't accept are brittle pages and missing pages. Beyond that it's just a matter of degree.

So you're saying that you will accept small bits of feces? 893whatthe.gif

1. Tape, especially old sellotape.

2. Brittle and brown pages. The comic isn't on the turn, it's terminal.

3. Pieces missing, especially on the cover. Even a small missing piece that's in the wrong place can destroy the eye appeal and liquidity of a comic.

4. Heavy foxing, which is usually accompanied by the comic having an acrid smell. Again this is about eye appeal and longevity.

5. Writing on the cover, especially cursive writing on the title or above the masthead (re Dennis Kjolso on Winnipegs). And of course grease pencils.

6. Old, early '60s pence stamps. Large, usually smudged, and always strategically placed on or just above the hero's head.

7. Popular Book Centre stamps. As with 6., this is an indigenously British thing, and God they can ruin a book. Usually accompanied by a large "6" scribbled next to it in felt tip.

8. Bad amateur restoration, ranging from crudely redrawn art to glued on centrefolds, restapling, etc.

9. Trimming. Especially if it's done really well, to the extent that you question your vision. BY FAR the most insidious of all defects.

The two things I absolutely won't accept are brittle pages and missing pages. Beyond that it's just a matter of degree.

So you're saying that you will accept small bits of feces? 893whatthe.gif

Correct thumbsup2.gif

I won't accept books that are too expensive. Other than that, I have books with missing pieces, books with "slightly brittle" pages, and restored books. Every book has it's price! thumbsup2.gif

It really depends on the book and how old it is. If it's a key SA book, I'll buy at least a solid VG copy if that's all I can afford. I know I'l never be able to purchase a 9.4 Showcase 4 or Brave and Bold 28. Otherwise I look for something in a Fine or better.

Let me know when you run across that Action #1 with water damage, I'll be happy to take it.

I used to be pretty forgiving of low grade, but I'm at the point now where I just don't want crapy low grade GA books just so that I can say that I have one. I'm weeding out some of the stuff I don't want anymore, and I'm trying to buy at least mid grade, or decent low grade from strict graders like Jim Payette. But no more missing centerfolds,xerox covers or books that are falling apart(of course, I may make an exception on something like Batman #1 or 'Tec #31).

Two things that just bug me to no end:

1) water stains of any kind - even the hard-to-see-spray stains that can only be seen by tilting the inside covers under a bright light or the Ultraviolet light.

2) spine splits that are undisclosed. Anything over 1/4" starts to get to me and that comic is uncerimoniously sent to the Sell Bins in my office.

Many a nice comic meets the Foster Home wagons of the Sell Bins because of these...

CAL hi.gif

Date stamps or date writing, distributor markings, original owner signatures (like on Winnipeg copies) I have no problem with especially if it helps identify the provenance of the book.

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

As the resident Green River guru, how could you feel any differently about the issue? 27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif

White Mountains too. Gorgeous copies usually identified by the date writing on the cover or first page.

And Edgar Church copies.

And "D" copies.

And Larsons.

And Reilly/San Francisco copies.

And Cosmic Aeroplane copies (check marks)

And so on and so on.

You'd almost have to hate pedigrees to hate any writing or date stamps.