• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Night Nurse in the Modern Era

23 posts in this topic

I believe the first time she appeared in modernity was during the Bendis/Maleev run, somewhere in the 60s, I think. I don't think it was ever specified in that run or The Pulse that she was the same character. No proper name was used, and she looks quite a bit different (her boobs had been updated), but I thought it was a great nod to Bronze, which Bendis specialized in during that time. Plus, after finally reading the original series, which was surprisingly cynical, I thought it was a cool idea that after spending years in poor New York neighborhoods, the Nurse opened a clinic in the Kitchen to help people who help others.

Man, that was a really good run of comics. As much as Bendis might screw up MTU, when he was on his more personal projects he really killed. Daredevil and Alias were both tremendous. Now I want to go reread them.

I totally agree. Daredevil was just amazing, The Pulse very good as well. Although he has his faults Bendis remains a good storyteller. It's weird though when you read something of his like "House Of M" where the concept is cool as is his dialogue but the the execution and resolution is a total letdown. He has a tendency to hit all the right marks in the first two acts but when it comes for the payoff it just sort of falls flat. All his big events have been this way I think.

But then you look at something his run on DD or Ultimate Spider-Man and he just kills it. I do think that New Avengers has been good though. Not consistent but he has had some good storylines and I like the way he writes those characters. The run tends to sag a bit when (surprise!) it ties into whatever big company event x-over is going on at that time.

I think there was a Night Nurse during the Pulse series who treated Luke Cage after Secret War.

Night Nurse also appears in Brian K. Vaughan's limited series, Dr. Strange: The Oath.

Yeah and I just finished reading BRUBAKER's run on IMMORTAL IRON FIST and she seems to be there as well, although no moniker is mentioned. I figured it was NIGHT NURSE and after reading the above it's pretty much confirmed.