• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miscuts

31 posts in this topic

Just responding in general - but chose to respond to a pressman since I was one of those guys who would show up at the shop with a color key to ok a press run. stay for several hours, but often would hang around for the shift change and take the crew out to a small bar, usually just across the street, for buffalo wings and booze, trading stories about our respective businesses - like when our lead stripper came pounding on the door past midnight with his head bleeding from a beer bottle that a ticked off apprentice stripper, whom he took out for a few drinks, banged over his head. Or the time the burner got a bit too coked and went up to the offices with a magic marker writing cryptic prophecies on the white walls and leaving a trail of toilet paper behind - or the time the night formean told the new guy to go home early cause all the work was done and had a knife drawn on him. The printing biz can be rather interesting.

Simple English:

An off-center is a comic book that, if you measure it with a ruler, measures the same width and the same height but the cover is skewed at an odd angle or too far to the left or right.

A miscut book is a book that, if you put a ruler to it, does not measure the same top/bottom or left/right.

lol we should trade printing stories..actually just recently a forklift driver got loaded into an ambulance just before shift change cause she O'Ded on some pills,tried to kill herself,or the time a truck driver came in with a crowbar cause the change machine took his last 5 dollars and told the forman he was gonna rip it open to get it back,not including all the bomb threats and 2 Harris presses burning down,that was funny when that happened...lol.Even though it's my job,i hated every minute of the 12 hours i work at night

we should trade printing stories

The worst I witnessed - now this was in the 80's so do not know how the press shops have changed - but an apprentice pressman either did not hear or ignored the buzzer - yes - his hand got caught and he was left minus a few fingers. God.

about 2 years ago,a rolltender was washing a blanket and when the press operator hit the stop button,the press moved backwards about 9 inches or so and the guy washing the blanket got 3 fingers on each hand stuck between both blankets,all 6 fingers were broken and the skin was ripped off..luck he didn't lose them,he just recently returned to work a few months ago.

this past year a stacker was pulling paper out of the folder,well rather than just letting them fall ,he lifted up the guard that was there and cut the first half of his finger off,he no longer works in the press room.

Do you mean to tell me that not every comic is factory cut the exact same way??? Does that mean that there may be subtle size variations as well and THAT may account for the effect I notice when I have taken, say for example, 5 different BLUE TOP CGCed copies of the SAME issue and measured them precisely and have noted that they were FIVE DIFFERENT WIDTHS from the narrowest at 6 and 1/2 inches, to the widest at 6 and 7/8 inches all measured midway across the book at the same place? Could THAT be why (the explanation you gave)? I was under the assumption that ANY book that deviates from the "norm" in ANY way whatsoever was trimmed and should get a Purple top from CGC. Wow!!!! Hot soup!!!!!...Thank YOU for clearing that up for me.