• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on shipping very valuable books to CGC

25 posts in this topic

As I said...all the services have their pros and cons, and exceptions.

I've had my problems with UPS too. But they pale in comparison to the frequency range and scope of problems I have had using the Post Office.

For every problem you have with UPS...you can multiply that times a hundred if you use the Post Office in my opinion.

I have enough experience with the Post Office to know that if I used them regularly....they would pretty much put me out of business.

So USPS, right? But with registered mail, isn't there a limit on how much you can insure? I thought it was like $5K.

Not true. registered allows up to $25,000.00 in insurance and the cost is considerably cheaper.

Make sure you tape it up correctly.

(thumbs u

This is my advice to you. If we are talking about a substantial amount of money, as you said, then I would buy a ticket, get on board a plane, and take the books with you as carry on luggage (I use a briefcase that I then pack is if it will be shipped.) You can fly out of Burbank straight to Sarasota, and it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. On off-times, you can get there and back for as little as $200.

Dropping off books with CGC is one way to do it, but they turn around and ship the books as well, just like you would do, and just based on human nature, they're not going to treat your books as tenderly as you would.

Obviously this is for a small amount of books and books that are worth a substantial amount as is ($10,000 or more.) But this way, the books never leave your possession during transit.

If I was dealing with a book like a super high grade Silver Marvel Key or somesuch, I'd simply plan a vacation to Florida around that time. I'm sure they will reholder it for you in a day or two if you call ahead and make arrangements.

If I'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if I am) this is precisely how Jon Verzyl slabbed the Church All American #16.

personally this is what i would do. I haven't slabbed any books over 5 or 6k but I have bought them and each and every time I fly to the location and have it tucked under my arm the whole way home. I wouldn't trust any delivery service with a $10,000 item as fragile as a comic.

As I said...all the services have their pros and cons, and exceptions.

I've had my problems with UPS too. But they pale in comparison to the frequency range and scope of problems I have had using the Post Office.

For every problem you have with UPS...you can multiply that times a hundred if you use the Post Office in my opinion.

I have enough experience with the Post Office to know that if I used them regularly....they would pretty much put me out of business.

Serious question: do your experieces include the last 4-5 years since they have been letting you print bar-coded lables yourself? I certainly am not mailing anywhere near the same order of magnitude as you - but I do put out 50 or so packages a month - and have not had many problems.

Then again I do insure almost everything I mail even if it is not paid for by the buyer (don't tell them!), which may tip the scales a bit.

Well, I suggest reading this thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2767192&fpart=1

And I will never ship anything valuable with UPS again.

If this happened at the post office the FBI would be after this guy. With UPS he's just living large.

Just read that thread for the 1st time. Yikes! :o

I'm incredibly paranoid about shipping anything of value -- period -- no matter who's doing the work. Reading what I just did isn't going to help that feeling any.