• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 9.8 Goals

54 posts in this topic

So, I dunno if I've ever mentioned my love for Batman before... :shy:

But I believe that Batman #400-442, starting with Dark Knight Returns #1-4, and including Killing Joke, Gotham By Gaslight, and Detective #569-607 encompasses the greatest solid run of Batman stories ever told in the entire history of Batman.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are amazing, phenomenal Bat stories from prior years.....#251, #232, #366, Tec #31 , #35, etc....

But as a solid run, the entire output of Batman, from early 1986, to late 1989 is just one solid wall of absolute brilliance.

They were just on fire, all of them.

So....

One of my goals as a collector has been to gather these books all in 9.8. I have the hard part: #426-428, Dark Knight #1, Killing Joke. Now...I'm working on the rest.

I will be able to pull most of them out of my collection, but I've faced some severe obstacles. I subbed #417-420, sure I would get 9.8s, and got 9.6s across the board. Ok, keep trying. #423 is a relatively tough book.

But I can do it.

With the acquisition of my 9.8 Batman #442, SS by Perez, I'm well on my way.

I'll update this thread, if anyone cares. Any other folks putting together a run like this?

Shall I post pics of what I have, then more as I get them?

And would this ever make it into a registry set...? ;)

You'd better post some scans :sumo:

I loved reading that post. I personally prefer the Moench/Jones, Dixon/Nolan runs but that would be a beautiful set to see (thumbs u

So I profess my love for Batman too, Batman is the dog's bollocks :banana:

Detective #569-607

This set will be the most difficult. I have a chunk of these already in 9.8, and a few in 9.6. The Detective Comics 600 and under are going quite crazy right now. They ahve been selling on Ebay for double of what the sales were next year WHEN they come up for auction.

If you check Ebay however you will find some of the later issues in B.I.N format, and in Ebay stores. One is Showcase New England, who recently changed these books from a $29.99 BIN to a $39.99 BIN. The price includes shipping, but I asked if they combined shipping for a discount and they never replied.

And whichever ones you see in auction that I do not have, expect a good bidding war :devil:

Good Luck, some great books !!

9.8 slabs for the Year One issues are pretty easy to find with the exception of #407. Not that it's extremely rare, just that it comes up much less often than the other three. Good luck... :wishluck:

Detective #569-607

This set will be the most difficult. I have a chunk of these already in 9.8, and a few in 9.6. The Detective Comics 600 and under are going quite crazy right now. They ahve been selling on Ebay for double of what the sales were next year WHEN they come up for auction.

If you check Ebay however you will find some of the later issues in B.I.N format, and in Ebay stores. One is Showcase New England, who recently changed these books from a $29.99 BIN to a $39.99 BIN. The price includes shipping, but I asked if they combined shipping for a discount and they never replied.

And whichever ones you see in auction that I do not have, expect a good bidding war :devil:

Good Luck, some great books !!

The vast majority of these I will be able to slab from my collection.

If I didn't make that clear in my OP, the point is going to be slabbing what I already have raw. Buying them already slabbed is going to be the very last resort.

:gossip: It's generally a $7.00 difference between submitting and buying.

Oh, but the pleasure received in getting back 9.8s that you've preserved all these years FAR outweighs the difference in price......

I wouldnt know. I havent been collecting that long. But I know the X-Men that I picked before I knew what CGC was have performed very well so far.

The books I submit are generally dollar box foddder, and have had 1 turd of 14 so far. So 13 of 14 9.8s makes me happy.

Just a FYI on showcase new england - as far as I remember, they'll do a 5% discount off the listed ebay price if you purchase the item outside of ebay with a minimum purchase of $100. But that seems to be the only discount they're willing to hand out ...

This thread is useless without pics. ;)

Really though, it must be really cool to be able to realize this kind of a goal by submitting books from your existing collection. I wouldn't know what that's like. I've submitted a total of 12 books ever, and 4 came back restored.

:gossip: It's generally a $7.00 difference between submitting and buying.

Oh, but the pleasure received in getting back 9.8s that you've preserved all these years FAR outweighs the difference in price......

Especially when I bought all of 3 of them "off the rack." The first Batman I ever bought brand spankin' new was #444.

So....does anybody else have any 9.8 Copper sets they're putting together?

This thread is useless without pics. ;)

Really though, it must be really cool to be able to realize this kind of a goal by submitting books from your existing collection. I wouldn't know what that's like. I've submitted a total of 12 books ever, and 4 came back restored.

Pics aren't the easiest thing for me to do....as far as subitting from my existing collection, it's a very frustrating thing. It's not easy dropping $$$ at a time on grading, especially when I don't recoup that money by selling the books (which is the hardest part, especially with the nosedive modern books have taken in the last year. Those four Bats #417-420 I had graded at WWLA in 08, onsite...at a cost of $24 each. That was a big fat oops. In fact, the $1,000 I spent there was quite wasted. Sure, I made it back on my Spidey #300...but that should have been gravy, not the meat and potatoes.)

If I was a billionaire, I'd send everything in at once.

does anybody else have any 9.8 Copper sets they're putting together?

I love copper X-Men, and I think I would actually enjoy putting a set together. The problem is I'm in Canada, and shipping costs are difficult for me to swallow. I have no problem spending $25 to ship a $200+ dollar slab, but on a $40 slab it feels a little ridonkulous.

I'll still be sending in my Bats, although the aforementioned shipping costs limit my number of submissions unfortunately.

I'm still having a few 9.6s back, but I can live with that. Can't really say I'm concentrating on Copper either to be honest, I just submit whatever I pick out that's high grade and I fancy sitting in a slab at the time.

does anybody else have any 9.8 Copper sets they're putting together?

I love copper X-Men, and I think I would actually enjoy putting a set together. The problem is I'm in Canada, and shipping costs are difficult for me to swallow. I have no problem spending $25 to ship a $200+ dollar slab, but on a $40 slab it feels a little ridonkulous.

Why not get someone you trust to hold them for you in the states, then you can drive down and pick them up all at once?

Bats #428. There are 19 on the census. At one time, there were 13. I subbed 4 of them personally. :D By far, my most prized 9.8, and probably always will be.

(same with the #427, I subbed 7 of the 21 on the census. )

IMG_1591.jpg