• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 9.8 Goals

54 posts in this topic

I am trying to put together a Speedball 9.8 run (seriously) and it is proving to be tough.

I can imagine!

You know...I've been thinking about this thread a lot. Like I said before, I suspect that it's simply not going to be possible to do any "9.8 sets" of any really significant Bronze age sets for one of two reasons: cost, or simple lack of 9.8s. A 9.8 set of X-Men #94-143 is a sight to behold....provided you have $50,000 (or more!) to blow.

But...Copper seems PERFECT for such an endeavor. Not a lot of "impossible to get in 9.8" runs, not a lot of uber expensive books...

granted, not everyone can afford to put together a Miracleman set...but a Speedball set could prove just as challenging, if only for the search. And DEFINITELY not anywhere near as expensive.

It could bring back an aspect of collecting that I'd long ago given up on, as crack dealers...I mean, comic dealers try to squeeze every last penny out of everything: the hunt for that elusive issue at a fair price.

If you're looking for a Speedball #5 in potential 9.8, and no one else is...how cool is that? Might be reallllly hard to find a copy, but you KNOW it won't be jacked up in price!

I think there's something to this...... hm

I started collecting slabs with the intent of getting these three series in 9.8 SS: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen. I recently finished the Watchmen and I have all 9.8s for the other two sets in blue labels. Unfortunately, Mazzucchelli almost never does shows and we all know about Mr. Miller so it'll be a long wait for Year One and TDKR. :cry:

You could always get them signed by Stan Lee ;)

So....does anybody else have any 9.8 Copper sets they're putting together?

I'm trying to put together an entire run of the Mirage run of TMNT. This includes #2 and on along with the 4 one-shot microseries they did. I'm giving myself a pass for #1 as only 1 9.8 1st print exists and even if it did come up for sale, I'd never be able to afford it.

A 9.8 2nd print doesn't even exist, so it's a tough book to get. I'll focus on getting the rest in 9.8.

I am trying to put together a Speedball 9.8 run (seriously) and it is proving to be tough.

I can imagine!

You know...I've been thinking about this thread a lot. Like I said before, I suspect that it's simply not going to be possible to do any "9.8 sets" of any really significant Bronze age sets for one of two reasons: cost, or simple lack of 9.8s. A 9.8 set of X-Men #94-143 is a sight to behold....provided you have $50,000 (or more!) to blow.

But...Copper seems PERFECT for such an endeavor. Not a lot of "impossible to get in 9.8" runs, not a lot of uber expensive books...

granted, not everyone can afford to put together a Miracleman set...but a Speedball set could prove just as challenging, if only for the search. And DEFINITELY not anywhere near as expensive.

It could bring back an aspect of collecting that I'd long ago given up on, as crack dealers...I mean, comic dealers try to squeeze every last penny out of everything: the hunt for that elusive issue at a fair price.

If you're looking for a Speedball #5 in potential 9.8, and no one else is...how cool is that? Might be reallllly hard to find a copy, but you KNOW it won't be jacked up in price!

You have basically summed up why I started my Speedball goal. When I was a kid I loved this book (for some reason) so I thought I would try to have the only 9.8 set anywhere. It is a fun (yet frustrating at times) goal.

I'm trying to put together an entire run of the Mirage run of TMNT. This includes #2 and on along with the 4 one-shot microseries they did. I'm giving myself a pass for #1 as only 1 9.8 1st print exists and even if it did come up for sale, I'd never be able to afford it.

A 9.8 2nd print doesn't even exist, so it's a tough book to get. I'll focus on getting the rest in 9.8.

Cool! Yeah, that #1...I don't know if it's within the realm of reason.

All the way up to #61, though?

I can imagine!

There is definitely something to that idea. I had big fun putting together my Marvel Comics Presents 72-83 Weapon X run. I have had big fun working on my Wolverine 1-189 run too. My pre-Unity Valiant run is modern not copper but was challenging to put together in 9.8 and affordable since the vast majority of the 50+ books were self-submissions.

Bronze can be pricey but copper and modern can be challenging as a collector and affordable.

Cool! Yeah, that #1...I don't know if it's within the realm of reason.

All the way up to #61, though?

All the way! When I started, I figured I'd go through #15 to get the maximum influence from Eastman/Laird. Then I decided to go through #21 to end my run at the decapitation of Shredder. Then I decided to just go all the way to the end and make it a challenge.

I've got a raw copy of Turtlemania and I know 9.8's exist (I've missed 2 already on the boards! :frustrated: ), but I won't count it as part of my run. I'll also stick with my SS 9.6 error variant of #4 as there are no 9.8's out there and given the limited numbers, there may not be any out there in 9.8 condition. Other than that, everything is fair game.

So....anybody else have any 9.8 goals?

I considered asking that in a bronze thread, too, but figured it would either be impossible due to a lack of runs in that grade, or a lack of funds.

Copper is probably the most likely source for complete runs for that, no?

Miracleman #1-24 all in 9.8 - the only book I'm missing now is the #23 (I have a paltry 9.6 copy of that).

I too, am trying my best to get EVERY issue of MM (in 9.6-9.8, preferably in 9.8) from #1-24 plus the MM family, 3-D(WITH eclipse glasses) and the Apocro 3-part series! (JUST got #1 in cgc 9.8 :applause: yay for me!) I am also hoping to have a set of the first 6 issue's of the Eagle Comics Presents JUDGE DREDD! I already have #6 (great cover) But I need the other 5 issue's. Especialy #1.

As a general question for everyone with a 9.8 goal where do you look? I go to shows and rarely find a book I need and lately it has been all about ordering Speedball sets (my goal) on eBay and hoping I can find a 9.8.

Finding 9.8s in the wild is one of the most labor intensive...but also one of the most rewarding...aspects of collecting. This is one of the reasons that people BUY 9.8 slabs to begin with....it generally requires you to look through literally thousands of books to find a handful of 9.8 potentials, and then cross your fingers on a pre-screen...or, worse...a direct sub!

The best thing to do is buy large lots on ebay. The next best thing is to go to shows and comb, comb, comb! Then, the LCS.

Most people don't have the time or energy to do that. Me? I've been looking for and buying "9.8 potentials" since I first started collecting, so I have a leg up....and getting 9.8s back that I bought in 1993 (or 1999, or 2004, or even 2009) and protected all this time is a genuine thrill.

And I'm still doing it, and still loving it.

As an additional bonus side benefit, after you've spent months or years on the hunt, you have a REALLY good idea about what's out there.

Finding 9.8s in the wild is one of the most labor intensive...but also one of the most rewarding...aspects of collecting. This is one of the reasons that people BUY 9.8 slabs to begin with....it generally requires you to look through literally thousands of books to find a handful of 9.8 potentials, and then cross your fingers on a pre-screen...or, worse...a direct sub!

This illustrates to me how different people, and their collecting habits, can be. I think you're the polar opposite of me in that respect. You love the "hunt" for that 9.8, I'd much prefer that someone else do the work, and I'm willing to pay the premium for it. What you've described above I can respect and appreciate, but the thought of actually doing it myself is very unappealing. That goes for high grade SA and BA as well. But if it wasn't for guys like you pulling them out of the wild, I wouldn't be able to obtain what I want.

This illustrates to me how different people, and their collecting habits, can be. I think you're the polar opposite of me in that respect. You love the "hunt" for that 9.8, I'd much prefer that someone else do the work, and I'm willing to pay the premium for it. What you've described above I can respect and appreciate, but the thought of actually doing it myself is very unappealing. That goes for high grade SA and BA as well. But if it wasn't for guys like you pulling them out of the wild, I wouldn't be able to obtain what I want.

The problem is this: there aren't enough of you willing to pay enough of a premium to make it worthwhile.

Some will say "oh, there's too many of these! Glut!"...when the reality is, the vast, vast majority of comics graded...even Copper and Modern...are not 9.8. As well, the vast majority of books that DO have 9.8s have less than 100 examples in that grade.

People may think that's not rare...but coins with less than 100 examples graded in the highest grades by any company are worth thousands...even otherwise totally worthless coins.

Granted, grading is young. It's only 9 years old. All the copies that will eventually end up in 9.8 (or better) slabs have not made it there yet.

But they'll never make it there if buyers aren't willing to pay a premium for them. It's just not going to happen. It's not worth anyone's time. Did you see a Unity #1 Gold sell for $11? And the Platinum #1 sell for $17? Ridiculous! Sure, there are 109 and 75 copies in 9.8 respectively, but why would anyone bother to slab any more if there's no interest, and no one's willing to pay a premium?

And why would anybody SELL any of these at a loss? I certainly won't. There are two up right now, both $10 w/$10 S&H. Doubt they'll sell for much more than that. That seller (who I actually know) is taking a loss. They cannot do that forever.

For 9.8s, it just doesn't make any sense.

So, until buyers are willing to pay more, expect to NOT be able to easily find slabs....or, expect to find them at prices that are "above FMV."

Some will say "oh, there's too many of these! Glut!"...when the reality is, the vast, vast majority of comics graded...even Copper and Modern...are not 9.8. As well, the vast majority of books that DO have 9.8s have less than 100 examples in that grade.

People may think that's not rare...but coins with less than 100 examples graded in the highest grades by any company are worth thousands...even otherwise totally worthless coins.

Granted, grading is young. It's only 9 years old. All the copies that will eventually end up in 9.8 (or better) slabs have not made it there yet.

This could be a topic unto itself.

I don't disagree with any of it, and it really brings into perspective just how limited a market penetration CGC has even now. There just aren't enough people out there who want to buy and sell slabs comparative to raw, and I doubt there ever will be