• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raiders Of The Lost LCS...

35 posts in this topic

Well with the weather being gorgeous today, I headed out to Birmingham to check out the comic shops over there. My LCS is a poor excuse for a comic shop, like really poor. If you want something that was published more than a month ago forget it, if you want something without spine ticks or corner creases forget it. If you want to talk about comics with the guy who works there forget it. Yes, it’s a Forbidden Planet.

ForbiddenPlanetWolves.jpg

So Birmingham have two comic shops, Forbidden Planet and Nostalgia (a subsidiary of Forbidden Planet) meh

But, I thought nothing ventured - nothing gained and headed over that way with Rich (RemeB), and we hit Nostalgia first. This place used to be great for back issues and even had the odd graded book in there, but that’s going back ten years or so. They had a vast back issue section which went back to the Silver Age and took up the majority of the shop, then one wall for the new arrivals.

Now the back issue section is hidden away in a small corner like something to be ashamed of. Each title has about 20 issues or so, I flicked through the Batman section and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. There were a few Knightfall issues which all fell in the 7.0 – 8.0 range, and all were priced at around $5 each. Year 2 parts one and two were in there too and these were 7.0 at best and priced at $10.

They were displaying some other stuff on the wall, but man the pricing! Locke & Key #1 - $12. All Star Batman & Robin #1 regular cover - $7.50. The RRP of the same issue was priced at $30 which wasn’t a bad price, but it seemed they just didn’t have a clue what they were pricing up.

But having said that, you’ve got to love their back issue disclaimer :insane:

DSC01137.JPG

Here’s a shot of their entire back issue section, some of the ones on the wall actually disappear behind the poster racks.

And that’s not just some random gayboy, that’s Rich :baiting:

DSC01138.JPG

Mind you, I did find Steve’s avatar in the flesh! Or in the paper. Oh you know what I mean…

DSC01139.JPG

So after a totally uninspiring visit we headed of to FP. Getting in there we were encouraged by the sign stating ‘back issues upstairs!’

It was obviously an old sign, unless they meant back issues of novels. It honestly was difficult to find any comics in this shop at all, yet again they were shoved into a corner. This time it was just moderns. But one shock was the guy who worked up there, he knew his stuff and talked to me for a while about my collection with genuine interest – fair play dude, you’re the only FP employee who’s bothered about comics (thumbs u

I did pick up these from there though, nothing groundbreaking apart from the fact they’re the only variants I’ve ever found in a shop meh

BatmanRobin1variant.jpg

BattleForTheCowl31in10Variant.jpg

So after a totally deflating trip trying to find a good LCS outside of London, I came home and helped myself to a few of these

DSC00062.JPG

I stole them from the pub. Our house has more life.

And the barmaid to boot? Wow Gav. You are good! :insane:

Nail on the head. That's where I met my wife, she was working in my local. (thumbs u

That's his blow up doll :insane:

That's in the cupboard :gossip:

Here I am thinking I'm big time for taking home the odd glass.

(worship)

That's his blow up doll :insane:

That's in the cupboard :gossip:

Waiting to be pressed?