• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love searching ebay for 'box of comics'

39 posts in this topic

Keyphrases like 'collection', 'large lot', 'old cardboard box full of funny books'. You get the idea. Lots of junk, but sometimes a listing like this is a hidden bargain.

Case in point, I just took delivery of blinding good deal. It helps that the auction description - "HELLBALZER THE LAST MAN AND MICRONAUGHTS OVER 200 MINT" - manages to misspell every title, and the auction description - "IN VERY GOOD CONDITION VERY HEAVY BUT WILL POST IF YOU WANT A PRICE.GOOD LUCK" - says nothing but to confirm that the grade is now either 'mint' or 'very good' hm

Top this off with a less than tempting photo:

ebayhbyauc.jpg

Hardly surprising I was the sole bidder at £19.99.

About a month later a battered box arrives containing not just some 'Hellbalzer', but a complete run from #5 - #248 in 8.0 to 9.4 :o Just the very thing to complete my binding project! :cloud9:

Also a complete run of Y the Last Man from #2 - #60 in 9.2 to 9.6 ! Awesome, I've been wanting to read that series! Maybe I'll bind them too!

Oh yeah, and some Micronauts things (immediately donated to children's art materials pile).

Bargain :grin:

Keyphrases like 'collection', 'large lot', 'old cardboard box full of funny books'. You get the idea. Lots of junk, but sometimes a listing like this is a hidden bargain.

Case in point, I just took delivery of blinding good deal. It helps that the auction description - "HELLBALZER THE LAST MAN AND MICRONAUGHTS OVER 200 MINT" - manages to misspell every title, and the auction description - "IN VERY GOOD CONDITION VERY HEAVY BUT WILL POST IF YOU WANT A PRICE.GOOD LUCK" - says nothing but to confirm that the grade is now either 'mint' or 'very good' hm

Top this off with a less than tempting photo:

ebayhbyauc.jpg

Hardly surprising I was the sole bidder at £19.99.

About a month later a battered box arrives containing not just some 'Hellbalzer', but a complete run from #5 - #248 in 8.0 to 9.4 :o Just the very thing to complete my binding project! :cloud9:

Also a complete run of Y the Last Man from #2 - #60 in 9.2 to 9.6 ! Awesome, I've been wanting to read that series! Maybe I'll bind them too!

Oh yeah, and some Micronauts things (immediately donated to children's art materials pile).

Bargain :grin:

:applause:

How shocked were you that an eBay deal went over so well?

Yah, i'll do searches for poor spelling too.

Sometimes find some really good deals due to poor spelling.

Was esp useful when I collected sports cards. Russian players with 36 consonants and 1 vowel...never spelled right.

OK - now you can sell me the Hellblazer 54 & 55 that I need lol

Yes I can (thumbs u

My dupes of the early issues are reaching the point where I might bind a second set just to get rid of them!

:golfclap: You are a very kind man!

Let me know if you want to sell the issues from 231 as well.

OK - now you can sell me the Hellblazer 54 & 55 that I need lol

Yes I can (thumbs u

My dupes of the early issues are reaching the point where I might bind a second set just to get rid of them!

:golfclap: You are a very kind man!

Let me know if you want to sell the issues from 231 as well.

PM me a shipping address and you can have 54/55. I need #231 up - as well as pretty much all from #100 up - for my bound volumes!

i've never bid that blind, but perhaps one of the best deals I ever snagged was a guy with lists of the issues, no scans or pics and he only took money orders, no paypal. i was hesitant, but his feedback was good. i assumed the books would all be beaters as they included stuff like hulk 182, spiderman 136 and a lot of BA semi-keys and I got the group for 50 cents a book...well, the $75 I spent on 150 books would probably be about $1000-$1200, all the books ranged from VF to NM.

:o

Wanna swap for all 10 TPB's? That way you'll even get to read #1, and save on the cost of binding! ;)

In all seriousness, Y was what got me back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. A buddy of mine bought me the first 5 TPB's as a gift, and after that I was back in the game. I do intend to pick up the individual issues some day.

Read it, it's great stuff!

:o

Wanna swap for all 10 TPB's? That way you'll even get to read #1, and save on the cost of binding! ;)

In all seriousness, Y was what got me back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. A buddy of mine bought me the first 5 TPB's as a gift, and after that I was back in the game. I do intend to pick up the individual issues some day.

Read it, it's great stuff!

I have the first two TPBs. Been meaning to pick up the rest one day. Since I've now got the comics - and they aren't quite 9.8s - I reckon I'll do the binding thing. Bound volumes are nicer than TPBs!

What shape was the Hellblazer 27 in? Isn't that the Neil Gaiman issue?

Typical VF/NM stored carefully enough but without boards. I've got several like that! That's one I'd like in a 9.8 slab, but the 'Nightbreed' ad insert causes a problem with most copies, similar to the issues with X-Men 294/5/6. There is one on the census. I've been thinking a press might do the job :o

What shape was the Hellblazer 27 in? Isn't that the Neil Gaiman issue?

Typical VF/NM stored carefully enough but without boards. I've got several like that! That's one I'd like in a 9.8 slab, but the 'Nightbreed' ad insert causes a problem with most copies, similar to the issues with X-Men 294/5/6. There is one on the census. I've been thinking a press might do the job :o

Wow! I had no idea about this, and had seen a few CGC 9.6s sell on eBay for decent prices. Just assumed it was because of Gaiman, but to hear there is only 9.8, now it makes even more sense.