• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: The recording industry strikes again.

106 posts in this topic

Quote:

Let's try a little test. Here's this week's Billboard Top 10 albums. How many of these acts have you folks heard of?

1 Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)

2 Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey & The Groogrux King

3 Eminem - Relapse

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame (only as a personality/cover of magazines)

7 Hannah Montana - Movie Soundtrack (only as a personality, no doubt I've heard snippets of songs)

8 Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

The above are who I have heard of. Surprisingly, most of the top 10. I barely listen to current music except when my wife turns on the radio in the car.

My list is the same as yours. All I listen to on the radio is sports. And, when I do have my better half in the car, I get to listen to country. :tonofbricks:

Where's the 'high-five' emote? Metallica died with Cliff (he wrote a lot of Justice's material, ya know).

This thread reminded me of this old gem:

(NSFW launguage)

Grabasses...BAD!

lol, I loved those Metallica spoofs by Camp Chaos. Death Magnetic was actually a decent album but I bet ex-pat, Dave Mustaine, will still blow them away when Megadeth's Endgame comes out in September. Dave has been kicking their asses creatively since 1990 when the badass record that is Rust In Peace was released.

Back to the topic at hand. First off: people still use Kazaa? I stopped using it years ago. Bit torrent is the way to go! And, yeah, the record industry have been trying to delay the inevitable for years now. They still don't realise that it's not working.

Let's try a little test. Here's this week's Billboard Top 10 albums. How many of these acts have you folks heard of?

3 Eminem - Relapse

4 Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot

5 Aventura- Last

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame

7 Hannah Montana - Movie Soundtrack

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

10 Pleasure P - Introduction Of Marcus Cooper

Seven out of ten...and I'm mid-40s. :eek:

And as for Mustaine...he's spent almost twenty years attempting to do another 'Peace Sells...' and failing miserably.

Until he can get his own head together, and keep a line-up straight for more than one album, he'll forever be coming in 2nd

Where's the 'high-five' emote? Metallica died with Cliff (he wrote a lot of Justice's material, ya know).

(NSFW launguage)

Grabasses...BAD!

lol, I loved those Metallica spoofs by Camp Chaos. Death Magnetic was actually a decent album but I bet ex-pat, Dave Mustaine, will still blow them away when Megadeth's Endgame comes out in September. Dave has been kicking their asses creatively since 1990 when the badass record that is Rust In Peace was released.

Back to the topic at hand. First off: people still use Kazaa? I stopped using it years ago. Bit torrent is the way to go! And, yeah, the record industry have been trying to delay the inevitable for years now. They still don't realise that it's not working.

3 Eminem - Relapse

5 Aventura- Last

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

And as for Mustaine...he's spent almost twenty years attempting to do another 'Peace Sells...' and failing miserably.

Until he can get his own head together, and keep a line-up straight for more than one album, he'll forever be coming in 2nd

In terms of popularity, sure. But, creatively, he's been owning them for years. There's only one Megadeth album that I find to be horrible and that was Risk. Metallica have several with St. Anger being one of the worst atrocities ever inflicted on mankind.

(NSFW launguage)

Grabasses...BAD!

3 Eminem - Relapse

5 Aventura- Last

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

In terms of popularity, sure. But, creatively, he's been owning them for years. There's only one Megadeth album that I find to be horrible and that was Risk. Metallica have several with St. Anger being one of the worst atrocities ever inflicted on mankind.

I actually believe the reverse to be true. Mustaine has done nothing creatively in 20 years. Listen to 'The System Has Failed' and you could be back in 1985, as he simply hasn't moved on.

Metallica, on the other hand, have tried time and again to actually move on, to be creative, to reinvent themselves...and have been hung for it by their 'fans'.

Mustaine has stagnated, but has continued to deliver decent if uninspiring product. Metallica have attemped to 'think outside the box', but have missed the mark rather too frequently.

As for St Anger...I actually love the record, faults and all, because it's real. Real bad in places, but real none the less.

Agreed but what do I know I'm still listening to Iron Maiden.

I saw them supporting Judas Priest back in the pre-Bruce days...good gig! :headbang:

My drive to work CD has iron Maiden and my 11yr old cranks up "Run to the hills" when it comes on (Dikinson's first with Maiden I believe)

I find as I get older I'm seeking out music that is older or has that "classic" vibe to it.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm a huge Maiden fan and they, along with Metallica, are the band that got me into metal and, unlike Metallica, they've never tried to be something they're not. And they still put on one hell of a live show. UP THE IRONS!

(NSFW launguage)

Grabasses...BAD!

3 Eminem - Relapse

5 Aventura- Last

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

I actually believe the reverse to be true. Mustaine has done nothing creatively in 20 years. Listen to 'The System Has Failed' and you could be back in 1985, as he simply hasn't moved on.

Metallica, on the other hand, have tried time and again to actually move on, to be creative, to reinvent themselves...and have been hung for it by their 'fans'.

Mustaine has stagnated, but has continued to deliver decent if uninspiring product. Metallica have attemped to 'think outside the box', but have missed the mark rather too frequently.

As for St Anger...I actually love the record, faults and all, because it's real. Real bad in places, but real none the less.

I don't quite agree. TSHF does not sound like 1985's Killing Is My Business....And Business Is Good. That record was pretty much balls-out thrash and that was also the case for the 3 albums that followed it. TSHF only has about two songs in that vein with the rest being solid, mid-paced heavy metal. In fact, every Megadeth album since RIP has been mostly mid-paced heavy metal. with thrashier moments at times. I do think United Abominations was a better record as it was a bit thrashier overall and had less filler on it than TSHF IMO. I think this new one will be even better.

While I despise St. Anger, I do concede that without it, Death Magnetic would not have been made. The band would probably have split up by now. It needed to be made in order to get them back on the right track. What's your take on DM, btw? I think it's easily their best record since AJFA.

While I despise St. Anger, I do concede that without it, Death Magnetic would not have been made. The band would probably have split up by now. It needed to be made in order to get them back on the right track. What's your take on DM, btw? I think it's easily their best record since AJFA.

DM is pretty good..."getting back to their roots", so to speak.

AJFA was their last great album (I go back and forth on it and Master as my fav....blasphemy to some, I know).

The "Black" album served it's purpose and they were able to pull one great song from it. St. Anger was terrible, as was Load. The one saving grace would be the S&M album, which I thought was fantastic (but, it was all re-tread of their best stuff).

Part of me may be a little jaded as I agree with October and think they're a bunch of whining beeyotches. They do put on one helluva show though.

I agree...and I think Death Magnetic stands up very well. Very 'Ride The Lightning'-ish in places, but there's half-a-dozen killer tracls on it. (thumbs u

And don't get me wrong, I like Megadeth. Seen them a number of times...in their earlier days...and 'Peace Sells...' is one of my favourite metal albums. Actually had a drink with Mustaine and Ellefson after they played a Hammersmith Odeon show years back...right pair of shorts-arses! lol

Yup. They would have garnered much better publicity if they'd said "People are illegally downloading our music? Awesome!" In the long run they'd probably have earned a lot more by doing that, instead of having long-time fans like myself dropping them like a bad habit.

It worked for The Grateful Dead. Concert trading did nothing but boost attendance at their shows....and the fans loved them for it.

I would've thought you'd use MST3K as an example there, Mitchell :grin: They used to encourage their fans with a message at the end of the episode: "Keep Circulating The Tapes"! And fans love them for it. (But I realize we're talking about music, not tv)

Speaking of which... I could sure use a good copy of the Teenageer from Space (or whatever it was) lol

TOR-CHA!!!

The MST3K guys don't care about people selling dvd copies of their stuff (it's an easy Google to find sellers). Just don't sell any of the episodes that they have released themselves on Rhino/Shout Factory. I know a guy who sells dvd-r eps for $3 @, but unfortunately Teenagers From Outer Space is a Rhino release :(

I have rarely posted since I joined this forum (mainly I have enjoyed everybody's comments and just haven't had anything to add) but I thought now I would give my two cents.

This is a forum of folks who enjoy the physical media. You collect comics. Marvel is really pushing the whole digital comics thing which basically wipes out collectability. My question is...

How does one slabbed a digial comic?

There are those who collect CDs and DVDs and I for one don't care to pay for something I can't hold in my hands.

I have rarely posted since I joined this forum (mainly I have enjoyed everybody's comments and just haven't had anything to add) but I thought now I would give my two cents.

This is a forum of folks who enjoy the physical media. You collect comics. Marvel is really pushing the whole digital comics thing which basically wipes out collectability. My question is...

There are those who collect CDs and DVDs and I for one don't care to pay for something I can't hold in my hands.

I am exactly the same as you. I much prefer to have a physical copy of something in my possession then a digital one. I only download stuff like music, for example, as a preview. If I like it, I'l buy the CD. If not, then that's money I can use towards something else. Although with my recent entry into the world of comic book collecting, I haven't been buying much CDs lately. Or anything else actually! :D

(thumbs u

Agreed in full. I will occasionally download a track or two as a taster for something I'm not sure about. However, if I like something, I'm more than happy to go and pay good money for it. I've got to have close to 1,000 albums and CDs and nothing will ever turn me away from wanting to have the physical representation of the music in my hands.

Additionally, I'm a bit of a hi-fi geek...it would cost about £3,500 to replace my system on current market prices (just under $6,000) and you'll never convince me that the sound quality of downloads would ever match CDs and...especially...vinyl. :cloud9:

honestly, i don't know why marvel is pushing digital except i guess they think they can open up some new markets, but these things are going to be pirated like crazy. pirating a copy of marvel masterworks or whatever is simply not worth the time and effort. didn't they learn anything from the demise of newspapers who gave their content away for free?

Quote:

3 Eminem - Relapse

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame (only as a personality/cover of magazines)

7 Hannah Montana - Movie Soundtrack (only as a personality, no doubt I've heard snippets of songs)

9 Mos Def - Ecstatic

The above are who I have heard of. Surprisingly, most of the top 10. I barely listen to current music except when my wife turns on the radio in the car.

Revised:

4 Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot - I had never heard of Chickfoot, but I've heard of some of its members, who have been around for many decades like Sammy Hagar, I think Richie Sanboro (SP? -- heather locklear's ex) and a few other old timers

6 Lady Gaga - The Fame --- o.k., I guess I have heard her music on the radio when my wife is driving. She has this funny song "Pokerface" and my son sings along and substitutes "Boogerface" in during the chorus. He cracks himself up.

honestly, i don't know why marvel is pushing digital except i guess they think they can open up some new markets, but these things are going to be pirated like crazy. pirating a copy of marvel masterworks or whatever is simply not worth the time and effort. didn't they learn anything from the demise of newspapers who gave their content away for free?

Actually Pirating Comics is as easy as hell and happens more often than you think.

The quality is excelent if yo know where to look you can get comics pretty much day they are released. If no day of then next day

oh pleeze, most new comics are hard enough to sell in the dollar box 2 weeks after they come out, who is pirating floppies? i suppose some of these street vendors I see in NYC might have pirated copies of TPBs, but come on, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to copy and manufacture CDs than print 150 page color TPBs.

I saw them supporting Judas Priest back in the pre-Bruce days...good gig! :headbang:

My drive to work CD has iron Maiden and my 11yr old cranks up "Run to the hills" when it comes on (Dikinson's first with Maiden I believe)

I find as I get older I'm seeking out music that is older or has that "classic" vibe to it.

As you get older classic music is more accessible when you have busier lives than you did a a more leisurely teen.

Reminiscing with old familiar music becomes more relaxing than hunting new music after a days work.