• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Thanks for your support everyone.

If I were inclined to show the board all of the exchanges between pennymike and myself I think they would be most unflattering to him.

I felt that he thought I was lying and that the tone of his pm's was questioning my character and integrity. Still, I refrained from making it personal and instead, continued to apologize to him even though I let it be known that I felt I had nothing to apologize for.

Simply, I knew he wanted the book and I felt sorry that I was unable to help out a fellow collector. That was all I felt sorry about. I had an obligation to finalize the deal with the original buyer and I did so.

It should also be known that upon starting my thread in the wee hours of the morning, pennymike was the ONLY forum member I pm'd with the head's up that the book was for sale. I took the time to seek him out and I had no obligation to do so. I tried to get the other buyer to pass, much to my chagrin as I felt I had no right to ask this other gentleman to pass, but I asked anyway b/c I wanted to help pennymike out.

Emotions apparently can be strong over these funny books. I just hope that for me, they never become more meaningful than the people. I am an honest guy and go out of my way to work things out for anybody, even folks i've never even met.

Unfortunately I couldn't make this work out for pennymike. But that's not to say I didn't try and it's not to say that I had any obligation to him do to so.

Ok At 3:08pm I sent pennymike a pm (this was probably the 3rd or 4th pm we had exchanged) that I had accepted the :takeit: from another buyer and was simply awaiting confirmation that the buyer had not changed his mind.

At 3:11pm pennymike posted the :takeit: in the thread, even after I told him I had found a buyer who had pm'd me the :takeit:.

According to this timeline, there was never an issue to b1tch about. The question I have now is why did Penny state the comic was his when he was clearly told beforehand it was sold?

Jim

Ok At 3:08pm I sent pennymike a pm (this was probably the 3rd or 4th pm we had exchanged) that I had accepted the :takeit: from another buyer and was simply awaiting confirmation that the buyer had not changed his mind.

At 3:11pm pennymike posted the :takeit: in the thread, even after I told him I had found a buyer who had pm'd me the :takeit:.

According to this timeline, there was never an issue to b1tch about. The question I have now is why did Penny state the comic was his when he was clearly told beforehand it was sold?

Jim

Jim, do you realize I have yet to read any of your posts with my full attention on your words?

Olivia Munn seems to challenge my thought process...

lol

Jim, do you realize I have yet to read any of your posts with my full attention on your words?

Olivia Munn seems to challenge my thought process...

lol

You're missing alot then...or maybe not... :grin:

Jim

edit: as for the registration of the book. I received an email notifying me that pennymike requested the book be transferred to his reg set. I clicked the link and left a message in the message box explaining that the book should not be moved to his reg set as it was sold to another buyer. In my haste I hit the "accept" button. Still, the message was clear to reject the transfer. I pm'd Dena immediately explaining my mistake. I then pm'd pennymike explaining what had happened.

I still can't fathom why on earth someone would try and transfer a book to there registery before they even had the book. It could be taken by some people like it was a tactic to pressure the buyer into selling the book to him. (shrug)

Sounds like this whole deal has been a clusterf@$k.

Jim

I can answer that for you. pennymike stated it was "his" b/c his take on the whole thing was the :takeit: trumps and he didn't see another :takeit: in the thread. Even though I told him a buyer was in place, he went ahead anyway and then sent me a hurried pm stating "I just hit the BIN". Followed by another PM of "what's your paypal address". Meanwhile I am trying to explain to him what happened and he's put the cart before the horse and rode off with this based on what he felt was the way it should go, neglecting anything I had told him to that point.

You know what, I don't even like doing this. I have dealt with pennymike before and considered him a friend. At least as close as you can be to someone you've never met. I don't feel right about bashing him or throwing him under the bus but by God I will not stand idly by and let my good name be run through the mud.

pennymike is understandably upset about missing out on the book. I get that and I sympathize. But that doesn't change anything.

edit: as for the registration of the book. I received an email notifying me that pennymike requested the book be transferred to his reg set. I clicked the link and left a message in the message box explaining that the book should not be moved to his reg set as it was sold to another buyer. In my haste I hit the "accept" button. Still, the message was clear to reject the transfer. I pm'd Dena immediately explaining my mistake. I then pm'd pennymike explaining what had happened.

I still can't fathom why on earth someone would try and transfer a book to there registery before they even had the book. It could be taken by some people like it was a tactic to pressure the buyer into selling the book to him. (shrug)

With the timing of the pm's he sent me after posting the :takeit: and then requesting the reg transfer even though I told him it was not his, I took it as a pressure tactic.

edit: I don't feel the deal was a cluster. I feel that I had a legitimate sale and I went forward with it. I explained everything to pennymike and he would have none of it. To call the deal a cluster I think that would imply some wrongdoing on my part. Not accusing you of anything but I don't feel there was much to discuss here. pennymike had the information. He chose to ignore it and continue to try and pressure me into selling him the book. If anything I would charge that he let his emotions control his reason and turned this thing into a circus when a reasonable person would not have.

With the timing of the pm's he sent me after posting the :takeit: and then requesting the reg transfer even though I told him it was not his, I took it as a pressure tactic.

Much like posting in the probation thread. The whole thing is pretty fooked up IMO

Jim

I can answer that for you. pennymike stated it was "his" b/c his take on the whole thing was the :takeit: trumps and he didn't see another :takeit: in the thread. Even though I told him a buyer was in place, he went ahead anyway and then sent me a hurried pm stating "I just hit the BIN". Followed by another PM of "what's your paypal address". Meanwhile I am trying to explain to him what happened and he's put the cart before the horse and rode off with this based on what he felt was the way it should go, neglecting anything I had told him to that point.

You know what, I don't even like doing this. I have dealt with pennymike before and considered him a friend. At least as close as you can be to someone you've never met. I don't feel right about bashing him or throwing him under the bus but by God I will not stand idly by and let my good name be run through the mud.

pennymike is understandably upset about missing out on the book. I get that and I sympathize. But that doesn't change anything.

It's an underhanded way to try to force you to sell him the comic. And possibly try to gain Forum support to push the sale.

Not cool...not cool at all...

Jim

Thanks for your support everyone.

You deserve it, you've done nothing wrong. The very worst thing that you could be accused of is not updating your selling thread. Rest easy, your rep is fine. (thumbs u

Exactly, the book is rightfully and truly mine.

rangers 26 is pennynike's. seller has to cowboy-up and tell the p.m.'er "sorry, but rules are rules." p.m.'er could have simply hit the bin like 'nike did.

this will be extremely poor form on the seller's part if alex doesn't get this book. mods should bar him from selling.

Billy,

I would hope you would read through all the information prior to making your final judgment on this. I feel I did the right thing. If you disagree and feel I should be banned from selling, I think that is unfortunate and disheartening as I do not wish to see myself painted as some villain or shady individual.

Mike

edit: I don't feel the deal was a cluster. I feel that I had a legitimate sale and I went forward with it. I explained everything to pennymike and he would have none of it. To call the deal a cluster I think that would imply some wrongdoing on my part. Not accusing you of anything but I don't feel there was much to discuss here. pennymike had the information. He chose to ignore it and continue to try and pressure me into selling him the book. If anything I would charge that he let his emotions control his reason and turned this thing into a circus when a reasonable person would not have.

Sorry let me rephrase that.. I think the cluster was with the problem/issue with pennynike1 and you. This should have never taken place. It should have never been placed in this thread. Although from what I have read in this thread, it sounds like you were in the right with this deal. I know we as collectors can get pissed when we miss a book that we really want but this isn't the way to handle it.

Just my 2c

lol this is sad. I changed my mind in buying Pennynike1's Ranger Comics #26 CGC 7.5 for $700 (which is only about 5x guide) god only knows what It'll take to buy the copy Hockey&Comicsguy was selling if Pennynike1 would have won it and later "decides" to sell it.

Sorry let me rephrase that.. I think the cluster was with the problem/issue with pennynike1 and you. This should have never taken place. It should have never been placed in this thread. Although from what I have read in this thread, it sounds like you were in the right with this deal. I know we as collectors can get pissed when we miss a book that we really want but this isn't the way to handle it.

Just my 2c

(thumbs u

Thank you. I agree.

rangers 26 is pennynike's. seller has to cowboy-up and tell the p.m.'er "sorry, but rules are rules." p.m.'er could have simply hit the bin like 'nike did.

this will be extremely poor form on the seller's part if alex doesn't get this book. mods should bar him from selling.

Billy,

I would hope you would read through all the information prior to making your final judgment on this. I feel I did the right thing. If you disagree and feel I should be banned from selling, I think that is unfortunate and disheartening as I do not wish to see myself painted as some villain or shady individual.

Mike

i in fact have read it mike; the bottom-line is that once a person is told via pm that a book is sold, it is not cool to get on the sales thread and post the i'll take it. with everything disclosed now, gotta say you're in good shape. that info wasn't available when i posted hours ago.

i will say that i have always understood [both as a buyer and seller] that the "i'll take it trumps" means it needs to be on the thread--otherwise, how does one know? it seems to allow for a hornet's nest if pm "i'll take its" equate to the ones on the thread. i realize lots of people think the other way, and that's cool. i'll always understand if i don't get a book because someone put the i'll take it up before i could get up a "i'll take it per pm." i think that's the best practices way to do it, and the way that's likeliest to not create these kinds of problems.

lol this is sad. I changed my mind in buying Pennynike1's Ranger Comics #26 CGC 7.5 for $700 (which is only about 5x guide) god only knows what It'll take to buy the copy Hockey&Comicsguy was selling if Pennynike1 would have won it and later "decides" to sell it.

Unfortunately, aside from Roy's purchase of that 7.5 copy, all the slabbed copies I have seen have sold for 5x guide. I should know as I sold the 9.2, bought the 9.4 and then sold the 9.4. Apparently it's a 5x guide book. And it doesn't even get it's own spot in the OSPG. No respect.

Mike,

Based on what's been presented. I don't think you did anything, in any way, to be chastized about. It is unfortunate that someone does have to go without. We've all had our disapointments, I'm sure, and if mine could all only be comic related, life would be grand.

I'd also like to say that your responses seem to be sincere, and well thought out. You are ok in my book, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with you.

(thumbs u

Edited by MCMiles

Unfortunately, aside from Roy's purchase of that 7.5 copy, all the slabbed copies I have seen have sold for 5x guide. I should know as I sold the 9.2, bought the 9.4 and then sold the 9.4. Apparently it's a 5x guide book. And it doesn't even get it's own spot in the OSPG. No respect.

His 7.5 copy

Rangers26_75_lbl.jpg

My CGC signed copy

Rangers26request.jpg

Even though I probably spent about $300 for this copy total, I should sell it for $1,000

Billy,

Mike

i in fact have read it mike; the bottom-line is that once a person is told via pm that a book is sold, it is not cool to get on the sales thread and post the i'll take it. with everything disclosed now, gotta say you're in good shape. that info wasn't available when i posted hours ago.

i will say that i have always understood [both as a buyer and seller] that the "i'll take it trumps" means it needs to be on the thread--otherwise, how does one know? it seems to allow for a hornet's nest if pm "i'll take its" equate to the ones on the thread. i realize lots of people think the other way, and that's cool. i'll always understand if i don't get a book because someone put the i'll take it up before i could get up a "i'll take it per pm." i think that's the best practices way to do it, and the way that's likeliest to not create these kinds of problems.

Thank you Billy. This has definitely been an eye opening experience for me. Much of this is new to me. That selling thread, those 8 or 9 books, that's all I own as a collector. I'm not a dealer, I don't buy and sell all the time, I don't have sales threads every week.

Another poster made a great suggestion and I think I will follow it in the future. And that is to clearly state that an unconditional :takeit: trumps any negotiating. Although I still see problems with that as I like communicating with folks and trying to work deals out, I would hate to in good faith, negotiate with somebody and then say, sorry you lose. But I guess I could point that out to the person I am negotiating with.

I feel like I have done the right thing, the honest thing. And with that and the sales I have made, my collection is pretty much done. I am stepping away from the hobby for the time being but will be back at some point, hopefully buying again and occasionally selling off some sweet GGA to another boardie.

I sympathize with Alex b/c I have done business with him before and I know he would've enjoyed this book. But I did all I could and then some to try and make it happen for him.

And I apologized to the original buyer for even asking him to step aside for pennymike. I had no right to do that and I don't feel good about it. I tried to help pennymike out even though I knew I had no right to put the buyer into an uncomfortable position. For that I feel like krap.

Mike