• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS EARLY FANZINES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF FANDOM

78 posts in this topic

Now we have a Capt. George's Comic World #7 -1969

Broadsheet- Superman issue

Reprints the first Superman dailies, including the origin, from 1939. plus complete story arcs from 1940 with commentary as to how Superman originally appeared.

Very historical. 16 broadsheet pages. 1st wrap has some tears, but interior wraps are fine.

comicworld7.jpg

comicworld7bc.jpg

superman.jpg

$10.00+ shipping

Capt. Geo Whizzbang #11

Terry and the Pirates article + illos. Great article " the Tattered Pulps" w/ cover reproductions. 30's comic strip reprints. Article on Republic serial stuntmen complete w/ rare movie stills. Susan Hayward appreciation (never mind Lindsay Lohan, Susan was HOT). And MORE.

whizbang11.jpg

$6.00+ shipping

Captain George Presents #29

Alex Raymond Portfolio-1969- 32 pages of Flash Gordon

alex1.jpg

$5.00+ shipping or both for $8.00+ shipping.

These are fascinating Ron. I never thought I would see another copy of Marvel Tribune. It was the only local Marvel 'zine and the first Marvel 'zine I was aware of. In spite of its primitive printing (was it mimeographed with hand-cutting on the art?)and fold over 8 1/2 X 14 format it was as respected a magazine as there was at the time. I think Gary Groth was putting out Fantastic Fanzine using a photocopy machine at the time.

As for the Crazy Captain publications, he never let copyright get in his way. This was a time though, when there were NO BOOKS on comics. There was no price guide. I don't even think ALL IN COLOR FOR DIME had been printed. We had no idea of our past. Captain George was about the only source we had for trying to understand the history of the media.

Next up- MARVEL TRIBUNE # 7, 8, 9, 10 - 1969

Early Marvel zine from Canada. Fan and pro art. Letters from bullpenners like Gary friedrich on rumours of Stan being fired. Reports from 1968 comic -cons. Romita art.

Wotta blast.

All issues folded (these were mailed out after all). marvel78.jpg

marvel910.jpg

marvelbc.jpg

$6.00 ea. or all 4 for $20.00+ shipping, Tiger.

:takeit:

Reprints the first Superman dailies, including the origin, from 1939. plus complete story arcs from 1940 with commentary as to how Superman originally appeared.

Very historical. 16 broadsheet pages. 1st wrap has some tears, but interior wraps are fine.

comicworld7.jpg

comicworld7bc.jpg

superman.jpg

$10.00+ shipping

Next up- MARVEL TRIBUNE # 7, 8, 9, 10 - 1969

Early Marvel zine from Canada. Fan and pro art. Letters from bullpenners like Gary friedrich on rumours of Stan being fired. Reports from 1968 comic -cons. Romita art.

Wotta blast.

All issues folded (these were mailed out after all). marvel78.jpg

marvel910.jpg

marvelbc.jpg

$6.00 ea. or all 4 for $20.00+ shipping, Tiger.

^^

comicworld7.jpg

comicworld7bc.jpg

superman.jpg

$10.00+ shipping

^^

I remember M.O'Neal as MIke O'Neal who was a big name fan artist at the time. His work was mostly or all copies of the popular professional work of the day. He was the sort of guy who would get letters sent to his home asking for illustrations for the next issue of whatever the letter writer was editing.

I am wondering about the inker of the illo, T. White. Could that be the SF editor/writer Ted White? Does anybody remember that far back?

Ron

I remember M.O'Neal as MIke O'Neal who was a big name fan artist at the time. His work was mostly or all copies of the popular professional work of the day. He was the sort of guy who would get letters sent to his home asking for illustrations for the next issue of whatever the letter writer was editing.

I am wondering about the inker of the illo, T. White. Could that be the SF editor/writer Ted White? Does anybody remember that far back?

Ron

It was Ted White, Ron. He signs his full name on some of the interior illos.

I had no idea that Ted White had such humble beginnings. He edited a major SF magazine that I didn't read and wrote many books that I didn't read as well. I remember him best for attacking the nonsensical drug laws and for attacking Harlan Ellison who was anti-drug. White seemed to think that there was a place for sensible, recreation drug use in our society. He may have passed away. Anyway, it is nice to see that at least one person who didn't play in KISS or produce major motion pictures made good from his days in fandom.

I checked him out on wikipedia. He is still alive. It mentions a bit about his involvement with Ellison which doesn't come up in Ellison's movie. It says that his accomplishments as a fan were the ones he felt were most important. And you can read it too by clicking on this itty-bitty line of gibberish-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_White_(author)

I am familiar with the accomplishments of people named Ted White, but didn't think they were all the same person, since it is a common name. I remember the Captain America novel, more for the great cover painting of Cap, first time anyone ever saw a superhero rendered with such realism. (Kirby not realistic?). I know he edited SF digests and paid the illustrators peanuts, although I'm sure no one got rich off these. It was a way to break into publishing, I guess. He interviewed Eric Dolphy? I like free-form jazz, and since he died in the sixties, that's quite an accomplishment. An interesting fan foot-note.

ALL DYNAMIC 4 -1970

First Alan L. Light publication - Alan eventually became publisher of the Comic Buyer's Guide and is known for his Golden Age reprints. Featuring a letter from Fredrick Wertham defending his views. Shadow article. John G. Fantuccio cover and art. Important and scarce zine.

alldynamic4.jpg

$15.00+ shipping.

ALL DYNAMIC #5-6- Double issue -1970

Great Don Newton Tarzan centerspread, Rich Buckler and Fantuccio fan art. Nice Dan Adkins piece. Mark Evanier article. Tons of other stuff.

alldynamic5-6.jpg

$15.00+ shipping or both for $25.00+ shipping.

PANORAMA ONE-1971

Dave Stevens fan piece (15 or 16 when he did this). Bill G. Wilson editor. Great Fantuccio cover. Don Rosa Captain Marvel spoof. Adkins Silver Surfer bc. Jeff Jones checklist. More.

panorama1.jpg

alter-ego.jpg

$8.00 +shipping.

CAPT. GEORGE'S COMIC WORLD #27 -1970

Kirk (Superman) Alyn autographed photo cover ( where's the original photo, hmm?). Will Eisner, Spirit reprint from Help magazine (7 pages). Underground Comic article (my first under-aged exposure). Russ Manning's Brother of the Spear.

comicworld27.jpg

$7.00 +shipping.

Kirk (Superman) Alyn autographed photo cover ( where's the original photo, hmm?). Will Eisner, Spirit reprint from Help magazine (7 pages). Underground Comic article (my first under-aged exposure). Russ Manning's Brother of the Spear.

comicworld27.jpg

$7.00 +shipping.

comicworld27.jpg

$7.00 +shipping.

^^

Those Fantucchio covers are beautiful. He was a complete anomoly. To this day I don't know where his style was derived from.

He was about 35 and if my memory serves me well, a full time commericial artist. He drove a nice car. He did sketches for most people who requested them, for free. He understood photography, thus the cover of Panoram #1.

I am trying to think of the fans whose work wasn't derivative. Kenneth Smith is the only other one who comes to mind.

Fantucchio, whose signature was a work of art in itself, eventually did some work for Warren. We hoped that it would set the world of comics on its edge but in fact, it was nothing great. When he had to tell a story and couldn't do a big wild image, he wasn't as interesting. Many of the scenes he had to do, didn't jibe closely with his style. At that point I remember appreciating the old workhorses of comics who could work to deadline in a somewhat realistic style, whose panels didn't draw attention to themselves.

Still, I would love to know where John G. Fantucchio is today. He was certainly one of the people that made fandom an interesting place.

Fantuccio's style was amazing. He employed graphic arts to a drawing ability that created a buzz in it's day. His signature was as distinctive as Frazetta's.

I am reducing the ALL DYNAMIC'S to $10.00 each + shipping.

ALL DYNAMIC 4 -1970

First Alan L. Light publication - Alan eventually became publisher of the Comic Buyer's Guide and is known for his Golden Age reprints. Featuring a letter from Fredrick Wertham defending his views. Shadow article. John G. Fantuccio cover and art. Important and scarce zine.

alldynamic4.jpg

$15.00+ shipping. NOW $10.00

ALL DYNAMIC #5-6- Double issue -1970

Great Don Newton Tarzan centerspread, Rich Buckler and Fantuccio fan art. Nice Dan Adkins piece. Mark Evanier article. Tons of other stuff.

alldynamic5-6.jpg

$15.00+ shipping NOW $10.00.

GRAPHIC STORY MAGAZINE #13 - 1970

John Severin interview plus artwork. Adam Link by Eando Binder & D. Bruce Berry.

Mal-ig by George Metzger- the most surreal comic story ever published -wordless.

A memorable back cover.

graphicstory13.jpg

graphicstory13bc.jpg

$10.00 + shipping.