• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is New Mutants #98 the next Hulk #181?

259 posts in this topic

Pity it's absolutely hideous. I don't care how hot it gets, I wouldn't dream of displaying one of those. In fact I wouldn't even want to own one. But then, Rob Liefeld is one of the main reasons I stopped buying comics in the early 90s. When all the popular comics had these ridiculous blobby muscled, white eyed, teeth-grinding characterless freaks all over the covers I was just too embarrassed to be seen buying the things, let alone wanting to read them.

God I'm a ray of sunshine.

I don't see it happening. It will always be a few hundred bucks in 9.8, but never going to be a $5k book in 9.8, or even anywhere close. Just too many well preserved, and too many people get sick looking at that hideous Liefeld rag :) .

I don't see it happening. It will always be a few hundred bucks in 9.8, but never going to be a $5k book in 9.8, or even anywhere close. Just too many well preserved, and too many people get sick looking at that hideous Liefeld rag :) .

(thumbs u Sweet avatar.

way too many NM 98's ou there compared to the 181's. plus i love deadpool...but.....hes nowhere near as popular as wolverine

I dont know (shrug) Wolverine wasnt an instant success either,and New Mutants #98 is going for some bucks.A NM+ raw selling for 75.00+,CGC 9.8 selling for 350.00+.Thats quite expensive for a Copper Age book 2c

sure the production run may be comparable, but the difference is in the way they got to people. When New Mutants #98 was out, Liefeld was already being heralded as the next Mcfarlane ( :sick:) and they were being instantly bagged & boarded. It wouldn't matter if there were 10 times the amount of Hulk #181s, there is NO shortage of high grade NM98s, nor is there of any 80's or early 90's marvel. Cripes, there is no shortage of high grade Hulk 181s, but the demand is massively different. The main difference in why Hulk181 & NM98 sell for higher prices is , a LOT of people actually Care about the 1st Wolverine and his importance in the past few decades of comics history can not be under stated, and most sales of NM98 are based on hopes of cashing in on a "Suddenly" hot appearance that anyone can find. :preach:

sure the production run may be comparable, but the difference is in the way they got to people. When New Mutants #98 was out, Liefeld was already being heralded as the next Mcfarlane ( :sick:) and they were being instantly bagged & boarded. It wouldn't matter if there were 10 times the amount of Hulk #181s, there is NO shortage of high grade NM98s, nor is there of any 80's or early 90's marvel. Cripes, there is no shortage of high grade Hulk 181s, but the demand is massively different. The main difference in why Hulk181 & NM98 sell for higher prices is , a LOT of people actually Care about the 1st Wolverine and his importance in the past few decades of comics history can not be under stated, and most sales of NM98 are based on hopes of cashing in on a "Suddenly" hot appearance that anyone can find. :preach:

Point taken (thumbs u

and most sales of NM98 are based on hopes of cashing in on a "Suddenly" hot appearance that anyone can find. :preach:

I have to agree. I wonder how many collectors of this book actually read the early Deadpool appearance stories versus just hoarding them away?

No.

If anything, that title will belong to X-men #266 and/or New Mutants #87.

Why those issue's?

X 266- First Gambit

NM 87- First Cable

And the books that unfortunately don't get too much attention but could one day that tie in with these issues:

1) X-Men Annual 14 - 1st Gambit cameo

2) New Mutants 86 - 1st Cable cameo

Those would be your Hulk 180-type issues.

....you're talking about a book that was released before direct distribution and a book published after direct distribution,...there is no comparison,...there has to be at least 50 shops out there that are sitting on stacks of uncirculated copies,...it will never reach Hulk 181 9.8 prices...