• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Neil Gaiman's most IMPORTANT copper age issue?

43 posts in this topic

Last year I began reading Gaiman's early work (I would never have considerd reading anything of gaiman's before, just to gothic looking to me) but as I finished Alan Moore's run on Miracleman I discoverd Gaiman had picked up the writing duties. At first I was not happy about it, but then I read MM #17 and was VERY SURPRISED how good it was :grin: Then I read his next two issue's in the run and afterward I was floored! So I began looking for his other works. Came across some sandman( very good) and I just happend to have stumbled across his Swamp Thing annual issue and thought it was pretty impressive, it WAS odd though. So As I am now begining to collect Gaiman's work and I wanted to know what issue or series I should start with? I know he did some 2000 ad stories and of course I know about his MM & Sandman run so what else? (Keep in mind I'm looking for EARLY work).

The Books of Magic 4-issue mini-series is excellent, so is the 3-issue Black Orchid mini-series (both were precursors to the monthly Vertigo titles of the same name). His collaborations with Dave McKean are usually superb - Mr. Punch, Signal to Noise, Violent Cases, etc.

I'm partial to the two Death mini-series as well - High Cost of Living, and Time of Your Life. 1602 was interesting, Eternals as well, but nothing holds a candle to Sandman.

Sandman #1.

It will always and forever be his most important Copper Age book.

You really can't argue with that. Sandman was the best comic, from a literary standpoint, that has ever been produced, IMHO.

Sandman #1.

It will always and forever be his most important Copper Age book.

You really can't argue with that. Sandman was the best comic, from a literary standpoint, that has ever been produced, IMHO.

+ 2

I should pick up one of these. :whistle:

I have always loved mythology, fables and mystic things and ideas so Sandman was easy for me to read and more so easy to love. Do people that are not into "mythology" love it as well? I guess I felt biased having had back ground on what he was writing about. (shrug)

I think I have read all of his novels as well.

Do people that are not into "mythology" love it as well?

Don't you know that people would rather read books about caped superheroes spewing the same banal cliches as they pummel the same stable of villains every issue for years on end? :makepoint:

As if people would want to read something innovative and well-crafted. Pffft.

I have always loved mythology, fables and mystic things and ideas so Sandman was easy for me to read and more so easy to love. Do people that are not into "mythology" love it as well? I guess I felt biased having had back ground on what he was writing about. (shrug)

I think I have read all of his novels as well.

Same here! I connected immediately with this storytelling due to my love of folklore and mythology. I was an instant fan of his writing!

Do people that are not into "mythology" love it as well?

Don't you know that people would rather read books about caped superheroes spewing the same banal cliches as they pummel the same stable of villains every issue for years on end? :makepoint:

As if people would want to read something innovative and well-crafted. Pffft.

I knew I would take it for that!!! :shy:

Is "Season of Mists" when Lucifer turns the keys to Hell over to Morpheus? That was an amazing story that just blew me away.

Yes.

Love that story!

Definitely NOT Dream Country. :baiting:

Yeah, I caught it.

Is "Season of Mists" when Lucifer turns the keys to Hell over to Morpheus? That was an amazing story that just blew me away.

Yes.

Love that story!

Definitely NOT Dream Country. :baiting:

Yeah, I caught it.

I caught it myself, but stll wasn't sure. Been a little while since I read it.