• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what book is the Amazing Fantasy 15 from the modern/copper age?

130 posts in this topic

the toys were first, 1983 hasbro started working on them....debuted in Feb of 1984

then, in spring of 1984 came the cartoon tv

then in fall of 1984 came the comic...

I Think that is the correct order (thumbs u

sounds good to me, i was just happy to grow up with them. I was 4 years old in 1984.

Action 1 = Amazing Fantasy 15 = Giant Size X-Men 1 = Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 = Walking Dead 1

I don't know about the latter two, but I might replace GS X-Men 1 with Hulk 181.

Is Wolverine more important than all the rest of the Uncanny group? He may very well be...

hm

but I can also understand where he is coming from because GS X-Men 1

basically started the X-men revolution!

Not only that but it was a waaaaaay better comic than Hulk 181.

hm

It could almost be a parallel to AF15:ASM1 as Hulk181:GSX1, except it's really 1 and 1(a) in the latter case rather than the clear 1 then 2 of AF15/ASM1.

Invincible and Walking Dead 1s for Modern. They both have the freshness, popularity and low print run. Both are brillant in their own ways.

Copper TMNT I guess its the only one with lasting power.

Spawn and Wolvie 1 dont fit due to print runs and in Wolvie's case not his first apperance anyway.

Bone doesnt have the crossover appeal. I dont think.

Watchmen has to be up there somewhere. Its considered a literary classic of the time as well.

You do realize that Bone has sold over a million copies worldwide, right? If that isn't crossover appeal I don't know what is.

Invincible and Walking Dead 1s for Modern. They both have the freshness, popularity and low print run. Both are brillant in their own ways.

Spawn and Wolvie 1 dont fit due to print runs and in Wolvie's case not his first apperance anyway.

Watchmen has to be up there somewhere. Its considered a literary classic of the time as well.

You do realize that Bone has sold over a million copies worldwide, right? If that isn't crossover appeal I don't know what is.

Yes I understand, you are just looking at differently then I am. I should have worded Bone a little differently I guess. I see potential in Invincible and Walking Dead. Movies, Toys, etc.... Real growth potential like TMNT and Transformers.

Bone is great, but if I walk into any of my local shops your average even above average comic book buyer will have never read a copy. I got nothing against, but it will never reach that status. Its had years. It will stay a cult niche book. Not saying Bone 1 in high grade wont continue to rise because it will I just dont put it up there with the potential the other books have.

You also do realize 1 million is not alot world wide.

Ask the world who spider-man is and see the results compared to Bone.

I wasnt going to mention that, but since you did yep.

There has been no 1st appearance since Punisher/Wolverine from the 1970's that can even be considered ground breaking as an OMG character.

There just hasn't.

Bone, Walking Dead, TNMNT, Deadpool, Venom, Elektra, etc.. are cool but again nothing ground breaking.

There has been no 1st appearance since Punisher/Wolverine from the 1970's that can even be considered ground breaking as an OMG character.

There just hasn't.

Bone, Walking Dead, TNMNT, Deadpool, Venom, Elektra, etc.. are cool but again nothing ground breaking.

What about Hellboy? I dont know ground breaking comic,toys,2 major motion pictures (shrug)

There just hasn't.

What about Hellboy? I dont know ground breaking comic,toys,2 major motion pictures (shrug)

Nope. :foryou:

Spider-man was well known world wide even before the movies, Hellboy was not.

First edition of the first Harry Potter book? (shrug)

^^So true.

The winning bidder was a vintage comic book collector from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. His wife is a fan of the Harry Potter series.

So that's who's spending north of 25k for an FF 72 in 9.8 or whatever that book was

There just hasn't.

You are giving TMNT short shrift, probably because you were too young to understand how omnipresent they were. By 1989, TMNT had a Q rating that was through the roof. I would be willing to bet you that 1989-1991 more people knew who the Turtles were, worldwide, than Spider-Man.

I am not arguing that the Turtles will have the long lasting impact and constant Q-rating that Spider-Man has achieved (going all the way back to the 60's cartoon and his appearances on Electric Company :cloud9:) but as far as Copper/Modern books go, the only book that could be considered the modern day AF 15 is TMNT 1.

There just hasn't.

You are giving TMNT short shrift, probably because you were too young to understand how omnipresent they were. By 1989, TMNT had a Q rating that was through the roof. I would be willing to bet you that 1989-1991 more people knew who the Turtles were, worldwide, than Spider-Man.

I am not arguing that the Turtles will have the long lasting impact and constant Q-rating that Spider-Man has achieved (going all the way back to the 60's cartoon and his appearances on Electric Company :cloud9:) but as far as Copper/Modern books go, the only book that could be considered the modern day AF 15 is TMNT 1.

I see what you are saying thats why a couple of posts back I did say if I have pick an issue from 1980-now, I did say it would be TMNT #1.

However TMNT was dead for a while after the cartoon died off and the movies got cra ppy.

I feel Spider-man has really never hit a major dead spot since AF 15 came out.

OT: TMNT Blue ray movie trilogy has been confirmed with a release date. :banana:

There just hasn't.

Damn straight! :sumo:

I don't even like the Turtles that much, but as far as the subject of this thread goes, this is no contest! TMNT #1 is THE book of the copper age! (thumbs u

I feel Spider-man has really neer hit a major dead spot since AF 15 came out.

I kind of agree with you on this one, because Spider-Man was never a phenomenon like TMNT. Thus there was never a "backlash" of negative energy at Spidey the way there was against TMNT (and Pokemon and anything else that gets that big). Spidey had a nice consistent run from 1966 on where he was always in the public eye, had cartoons, a live action show, tons of licensing, and of course, comics.

There just hasn't.

I see what you are saying thats why a couple of posts back I did say if I have pick an issue from 1980-now, I did say it would be TMNT #1.

However TMNT was dead for a while after the cartoon died off and the movies got cra ppy.

OT: TMNT Blue ray movie trilogy has been confirmed with a release date. :banana:

Clone Saga? Lost quite a few during that time. Movies saved them? How is that time frame? Clone Saga then movies cant remember? I think I got ya here.

There just hasn't.

Clone Saga? Lost quite a few during that time. Movies saved them? How is that time frame? Clone Saga then movies cant remember? I think I got ya here.

100% disagree..losing a few readers isn't like losing the whole bunch.

JR, Jr and JMS brought the fans back to ASM, and the movie wasn't till years later after the clone sage and their run on the issue.

Guess you didn't read my earlier post ...

The fact of the matter is that, as of this post, there is no copper/modern book out there that's ever going to rival AF15 when it comes to price, popularity, and cross-over appeal. As much I'd love to think that Bone #1, Cerebus #1, SiP #1 or TMNT #1 would do this, these books are way too niche-oriented to fill this role.

For a modern/copper collector such as myself these are true keys, sure, but even my mom knows that the 1st appearance of Spider-man is worth a lot of money, whereas she'd be clueless if confronted with the 1st appearance of Bone, Cerebus, the turtles or Francine/Katchoo.

My point is that claiming that Invincible/Walking Dead has more cross-over appeal than Bone - which is what Fastballspecial did - has absolutely zero bearing in reality.

And, soti, just as an FYI 1 million worldwide for an indie series is insanely high (thumbs u

Sorry IMO 1 Million worldwide is no big deal. :sorry:

No offense to Bone.

Most of the DC and Marvel books from back in the day were indies in terms of the characters had to grow from nothing to what they are today.