• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The monthly why you should use CGC instead of PGX thread with PICs

164 posts in this topic

Went I was cracking this one out, I KNEW this was going to be trouble. It's got a 1 inch tear on the back, real nice book, but CGC does tend to frown on those sorts of things. PQ up two ticks.

P1150674.jpg

Well is it the First or Second appearance of ODIN?

i looked it up on overstreet price guide, it is the first appearance of odin.

No, it's not.

Odin appears in one panel in #85 which is why CGC treats it as his first appearance - Overstreet also lists it as "1st brief app. Odin".

its the 1st appearance for all purposes, like hulk 180 and 181 we all know which is the 1st appearance.

Oh, and I wouldn't put any faith in anyone who's been "in the business for over 30 years" who is not intimately involved with CGC graded books. 30 years ago, grading standards were almost non-existant, which was ok, because most comic books weren't worth thousands of dollars. Only a small handful were.

A lot of folks who were grading 30 years ago have not kept up with the changes in the industry, and either can't be bothered to learn, or sneer at 'the picky collectors" as they happily overgrade for $$$$.

Harry Thomas is a PERFECT example.

Who's harry thomas? (shrug)

Harry Thomas is a FOBO (Friend of Bob Overstreet) who is so old-school, it's not even funny. He thinks CGC is the absolute donwfall of the hobby (and has said so in OPG reports for several years), but has no problem seriously understating issues that affect the final price of an item...like, you know, not mentioning the actual extent of color touch on the cover of Batman #47, for instance.

Oh, and I wouldn't put any faith in anyone who's been "in the business for over 30 years" who is not intimately involved with CGC graded books. 30 years ago, grading standards were almost non-existant, which was ok, because most comic books weren't worth thousands of dollars. Only a small handful were.

A lot of folks who were grading 30 years ago have not kept up with the changes in the industry, and either can't be bothered to learn, or sneer at 'the picky collectors" as they happily overgrade for $$$$.

Harry Thomas is a PERFECT example.

Who's harry thomas? (shrug)

Harry Thomas is a FOBO (Friend of Bob Overstreet) who is so old-school, it's not even funny. He thinks CGC is the absolute donwfall of the hobby (and has said so in OPG reports for several years), but has no problem seriously understating issues that affect the final price of an item...like, you know, not mentioning the actual extent of color touch on the cover of Batman #47, for instance.

Was a friend of Bob Overstreet ......Harry passed away recently.

Oh. :(

Well, then...my apologies.

I should not speak ill of the dead.

That's a shame, he had some great stories to tell about running around the country in the 60's with Bob buying comic books....I'm sure he'll be missed.