• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic related horror stories.

47 posts in this topic

I got an Archie #3 from Metropolis last year raw. They said it was a 5.0 book, it came back from CGC as 1.8 with brittle pages.

Worst experience ever.

Metropolis should burn to the ground. Those guys are the absolute worst

I got an Archie #3 from Metropolis last year raw. They said it was a 5.0 book, it came back from CGC as 1.8 with brittle pages.

Worst experience ever.

Did Metro rectify their grievous error?

This story did not happen to me personally but to a friend of mine . He has been collecting comics for a Long time since he was a kid. At one point he had just about every Marvel SA key and 1st appearance (examples AF#15 FF#1 Hulk #1 etc)with some 1st appearance DCs (Showcase #4 and #22) also and some golden age early Captain America's . This was about 1998 and These issues were extremely nice for the age of the books none were below 6.0 and all were unrestored . Anyway, he got hooked up with this girl and they started dating and became close. However, after a few years the girl started resenting the fact that my friend "cared more about his comics, then he did her and spend more money on them than her"....Well he came home one day and instead of having supper on the stove for him when he got home from work. He came home to a bonfire in a metal garbage can. She had spent the entire day burning most of his collection. I believe he told me that there was about $100000.00 in books that she had burned including all of those SA and GA books the only stuff she had not torched was a few of his modern books. Unfortantly at the time he didn't have insuraance on any of his books .This is the amazing part he just broke up with her and let her leave in peace telling her never to get within his sight again. He is defantly a better man than me . I'd felt like doing something to that crazy person_without_enough_empathy
I would have NEVER let a GIRL get between me and my comics in the FIRST place! The second she would complain about it I would ask her why she collects so many shoes? and clothes? are they going to be worth HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS in the future? and if the bit*# STILL complained I'd KICK her rear in to the street right in front of an incoming TRUCK! :sumo:

Last year i bought a collection of around 300 books from a relative that was selling them for her church -- had a bunch of high grade Dell 4-colors , about 50 DC 100 pagers , bunch of DC $1 books from the late 70`s and early 80`s -- was pleased with the price. Later when i was down to working on a nice batch of high grade Batmans & Detectives from the mid 70`s -- i noticed that they were feling sorta thin-- come to find out about 35 of the books had had all the non-story affecting add pages neatly removed . After going thru page by page on all the books a second time all the qualified books were culled. About $700 in 9.2-9.6 books were now $35 worth of dollor books. Oh well -- at least everything else was good on the rest of the purchase.....