• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

what a in hobby this turned out to be, huh?

It's amazing how it achieved an 8.5...but as least we all know the history.

As peewee22 would state "still no copies >9.0 and it's still the same book with a different label".

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Damn shame that book (the Mound City 22) was pressed (excuse me...restored).

I dang near took it during the auction. Wish I would have now.

My FF1 could be pressed (excuse me...restored) up to at least a 7 but I'm not doing it. The guy at C-Link simply said "if you don't someone else will."

Tim (tth2) started a thread awhile back on books being pressed and hobbyists losing interest because of that. I'm with 'em on that one !

Damn shame that book (the Mound City 22) was pressed (excuse me...restored).

I dang near took it during the auction. Wish I would have now.

My FF1 could be pressed (excuse me...restored) up to at least a 7 but I'm not doing it. The guy at C-Link simply said "if you don't someone else will."

Tim (tth2) started a thread awhile back on books being pressed and hobbyists losing interest because of that. I'm with 'em on that one !

Also, those that means...my Mound City BB28 could be a 7.5, hmmm...Peewee22, your SC22 7.5 is unique because of the PQ and no one can change that.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

You know, we all started talking about the Mound City copy months ago in this thread. Viewing it raw, one guy said it looked like a nice 6.0 or 6.5. I thought it would grade a rock solid 7.0. Turns out CGC (over)graded it an 8.0. Now it's got an 8.5 sticker on it.

Like fine wine, It just keeps getting better with age !!! :jokealert:

That is such a sad rationalization and I'm sure is one used by all sorts of people to rationalize terrible actions every day.

"Hey man, if I don't make the crystal meth in my lab, someone else is going to, and maybe their quality control won't be as good as mine! You don't want kids to end up buying bad crystal meth, do you? DO YOU?! So actually, in my opinion, my crystal meth manufacturing is actually a service to the community! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

I am indeed sick of and sickened by this hobby.

The Comiclink CGC 8.5 is the Mound City copy. It got regraded and receive an 8.5 this time.

Thanks for doing the detective work! :applause:

It's like bidding for a 8.0, but paying for a 8.5. As least we know some of the comics from the Mound City will be upgraded...like this one.

The Comiclink CGC 8.5 is the Mound City copy. It got regraded and receive an 8.5 this time.

It's like bidding for a 8.0, but paying for a 8.5. As least we know some of the comics from the Mound City will be upgraded...like this one.

I'm sure many of them will be. Or at least lots of people will do their best to do it.

That is such a sad rationalization and I'm sure is one used by all sorts of people to rationalize terrible actions every day.

"Hey man, if I don't make the crystal meth in my lab, someone else is going to, and maybe their quality control won't be as good as mine! You don't want kids to end up buying bad crystal meth, do you? DO YOU?! So actually, in my opinion, my crystal meth manufacturing is actually a service to the community! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Complete and utterly horrible parallel. But i guess that shock value is more important than a rational discussion.

Btw, i pressed three books last night Tim and thought about you on all three :foryou:

a very weak 8.0 at that. and the "we" likely won't include the mook that's going to shell out $30k for this frankenbook. :cry:

You know, we all started talking about the Mound City copy months ago in this thread. Viewing it raw, one guy said it looked like a nice 6.0 or 6.5. I thought it would grade a rock solid 7.0. Turns out CGC (over)graded it an 8.0. Now it's got an 8.5 sticker on it.

Like fine wine, It just keeps getting better with age !!! :jokealert:

I was the one who called it a 6.0 to 6.5. That might have been a bit harsh, but I can't believe this copy is now an 8.5 with the light stain and other damage that was present in the original scans. Anyone know who bought the book in the first place? That might explain the "grading".

I don't think the NPs (Non Pressers) realize how many books are being pressed.

And CGC has no idea when you ask them whether a book has been pressed.

You just spend 5 figures on a book unknowing whether it's been pressed OR read the Boards and discover one like Rich or someone did here on the 22.

:boo:

Btw, i pressed three books last night Tim and thought about you on all three :foryou:

Whatever floats your boat, Arex. (shrug)

Like spewing vitriol floats yours Tim

No Arex, the thing you fail to understand is I don't enjoy protesting against pressing. I'd just as soon not have to do it. In contrast, you guys genuinely seem to enjoy pressing books, and seem to enjoy it even more because you know it upsets a group of collectors.

No Arex, the thing you fail to understand is I don't enjoy protesting against pressing. I'd just as soon not have to do it. In contrast, you guys genuinely seem to enjoy pressing books, and seem to enjoy it even more because you know it upsets a group of collectors.

(thumbs u

I could really not care less if pressing bothers any of you. I respect (and that is the thing you dont seem to be able to show Tim) that collectors have these feelings toward pressing and owning pressed books. Thus I disclose anytime I have a book that is pressed when I sell. Even though i think it is on the buyer to educate and ask the question, i still freely offer that info.

However, after being called a dirtbag, being likened to a meth dealer, and being viewed by some, including you, as the ruination of the hobby, I figure a little give is in order.

You say you dont enjoy protesting against pressing. Maybe you dont, but you sure do make a bang when you do. Personal insults included.

I do enjoy pressing books. I do enjoy making books look better. Whether they are for my personal collection or for resale.

I just do not like the vitriol and contempt for myself and others. Can you not seperate the deed from the person?

Feel free to PM as i too do not want to hijack an otherwise enjoyable thread.