Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

That was a monster book in the 80's and 90's. Neck to neck with A1 and Tec27.

I think it was actually more valuable in the guide.

What happened with MC anyway.I recall the big sales figures way back when?

One problem has been that the book was harder to find than the big DC books before the internet but Heritage has had the same few copies of Marvel #1 (especially the CGC 9.0 Pay Copy) come to market several times giving the impression that the book is "not that hard to find".

Couple that with the internet talk of how there are "no relevant A tier characters" in the book and people likely step back from the book.

To me it's still one of the greatest (and should be) most valuable comics of all time. What do I know, I'm a Marvel Zombie? I feel the same way about Whiz 2 (1) too.

This is playing out just like it has in other hobbies where only the top tier key items survive the test of time. MC #1 is a 2nd tier GA key (I would argue that Captain America Comics #1 is more key Timely GA book due to the character), and Whiz 2 (1) is a 3rd tier key now. While they are cool books, their significance will likely continue to wane over time as the comic collecting world becomes smaller and only the top pieces hold widespread investment interest (wasn't an issue of Four Color or WDC&S considered the grail for comics at one time as well?). Let's face it, if you are going to spend $100K on a Marvel/Timely/Atlas you are probably better off going with a high grade AF #15 than a similar valued MC #1 for the long run.

Edited by kimik

What happened with MC anyway.I recall the big sales figures way back when?

One problem has been that the book was harder to find than the big DC books before the internet but Heritage has had the same few copies of Marvel #1 (especially the CGC 9.0 Pay Copy) come to market several times giving the impression that the book is "not that hard to find".

It wasn`t just the "not that hard to find" thing, it was also "why are all the big boys so desperate to dump the book as fast as they can?"

Even if a girl is super hot, if she keeps getting passed around from guy to guy, she`s going to be considered a skank.

To me it's still one of the greatest (and should be) most valuable comics of all time. What do I know, I'm a Marvel Zombie? I feel the same way about Whiz 2 (1) too.

How can you compare it to Whiz 2? Unlike MC 1, Whiz 2 NEVER comes up for sale in unrestored high grade. It`s impossible to say whether its price has fallen or underperformed because there are no market prices to use as a gauge. The last time a high grade copy of Whiz 2 publicly changed hands was the MH copy, and that was back in 1996.

But the same holds true about SC 22. I always thought it was a top 5 DC Silver age book. But I guess it took everyone else 50 years to figure that out.

I think most semi-knowledgeable collectors have always had it as a SA DC Top 5 book. But that didn`t translate into a high value, since being top 5 SA DC in comic collecting circles is kind of like being in the top 5 at Cal Tech... in football.

Now, back to the topic at hand, what did everyone think about the final price of that fugly SC #22 on Clink this week?

It was a weak 4.5 and I thought it wouldn't break $1900...but it broke slightly above $2K. The $2K may be the new benchmark for 4.5's. (shrug)

But the same holds true about SC 22. I always thought it was a top 5 DC Silver age book. But I guess it took everyone else 50 years to figure that out.

I think most semi-knowledgeable collectors have always had it as a SA DC Top 5 book. But that didn`t translate into a high value, since being top 5 SA DC in comic collecting circles is kind of like being in the top 5 at Cal Tech... in football.

It's true. It never made it in the top five SA DC in value in the OSPG in it's life time and it needs some serious price adjustment it the guide.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

It's true. It never made it in the top five SA DC in value in the OSPG in it's life time and it needs some serious price adjustment it the guide.

Is it always about money with you? I was thinking more about Top 5 in terms of importance/influence, which does not always correlate with most valuable.

Overstreet always had Showcase 8 as the 2nd most valuable SA DC, probably because it was traditionally considered to be the 2nd SA DC.

In looking back through Overstreet`s most valuable lists, it`s interesting how Showcase 9 always placed so high, and for quite a while Detective 225, even after Overstreet had already declared that the SA started with Showcase 4, which made the inclusion of Detective 225 in the most valuable SA list a bit nonsensical.

Is it always about money with you? I was thinking more about Top 5 in terms of importance/influence, which does not always correlate with most valuable.

Overstreet always had Showcase 8 as the 2nd most valuable SA DC, probably because it was traditionally considered to be the 2nd SA DC.

In looking back through Overstreet`s most valuable lists, it`s interesting how Showcase 9 always placed so high, and for quite a while Detective 225, even after Overstreet had already declared that the SA started with Showcase 4, which made the inclusion of Detective 225 in the most valuable SA list a bit nonsensical.

No, but I do enjoy numbers. Flash105 has mentioned it was his top five most important and you as well. I agree, even SC9 has been and early book, it is just not as important. Maybe because she is a female character. (shrug)

How can you compare it to Whiz 2? Unlike MC 1, Whiz 2 NEVER comes up for sale in unrestored high grade. It`s impossible to say whether its price has fallen or underperformed because there are no market prices to use as a gauge. The last time a high grade copy of Whiz 2 publicly changed hands was the MH copy, and that was back in 1996.

Obviously (or at least I thought it was obvious) I am extrapolating from lower grade sales prices.

if you can get a copy of Whiz #1 for 4 figures in low or restored grade then that says something about the book`s value because you sure can`t get a copy of Superman or Batman #1 for that price.

that's a crazy low price; I wish I had seen that. Seller must need funds fast

That is unheard of...you just don't see a 6.0...are we talking about 2008 here. Yeah...you could have been in the 6.0 club.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Obviously (or at least I thought it was obvious) I am extrapolating from lower grade sales prices.

if you can get a copy of Whiz #1 for 4 figures in low or restored grade then that says something about the book`s value because you sure can`t get a copy of Superman or Batman #1 for that price.

What is this "low grade" thing that thou dost speaketh of? Thy words seemeth to be English, but I comprehendeth not.

It`s as if thou speaketh apple while I speaketh orange.

:baiting:

Edited by tth2

that's a crazy low price; I wish I had seen that. Seller must need funds fast

Or seller was/is clueless about GPA sales info and went for "well over" OSPG prices..like a $1000 over 6.0 listed price....

Easily a $5k+ book....someone is super stoked.

Edited by kryptospidey

Looking at the book, my question is how does something with that chip and huge fugly crease, along with a nasty stain (tape inside cover?) on the lower spine (more noticeable back cover), plus the other wear shown in the photos, get a 6.0 in the first place?