• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do today's high key comic price increases have a historical equivalent?

131 posts in this topic

More than a few are stating that money might be coming into these books since the stock market has been going down.

Well, the stock market has now rallied more than 50%. Granted is was short amount of time, record time in fact of 4 months.

There should be at least some correlation to be cited, no, if you believe this theory.

Despite some better times lately, is there any widespread optimism this is a lasting recovery? I have yet to see signs of it

I agree... seems like a questionable recovery fuelled by greed and not much else.

Yes, the stock markets have recovered from a DOW low of 6500 to 9000. But, no, the leading economic indicators have yet to significantly improve.

General sentiment is that the recovery will be slow, as there is a lot of overcapacity still to be worked out of the system.

That's why comics were dead on the mid to late-90's and why we suddenly have a resurgence on those SAME books today - comics are hot again, and they weren't then.

I know the overall market was down following holo-foil madness and the newsstand price increases that went with it, but I've been wondering if the keys were really dead in the mid-to-late-90s. I don't know, I was in college and out of comics, getting a job, getting women, and getting a house for that entire period.

quality sells even in a down market. There weren't any AF15 or FF1 fire sales in that period. My recollection is that prices were stagnant but more or less held on big SA keys in typical grades. weaker minor keys, later issues, bronze, mid run issues... those you could get deals on, but the more blue chip the book the less likely it was ever going to be firesold, down market or not. Which is just common sense really.

I don't know how weak the "keys" really were during the 90s at all. Didn't AF 15 and Showcase 4 both have record breaking sales at around $50k in the mid 90s? I know the guide prices on SA books took huge jumps as true NM copies began to bring premiums that hadn't previously been seen. Wasn't it during this time period that Overstreet finally went to a 1-3-11 scale after the new NM prices dragged the Fine prices way too high using his old scale?

Just guessing, but I'd say NM SA keys in 1996 were probably priced about double what they would have been in 1991. It may have been more price resistance than an actual slow market.

Bronze made some big jumps in the 90s too particularly the 2nd tier books like Weird War, Jonah Hex/All Star Western/Weird Western, Tomb of Dracula and crazy prices for the really odd stuff like Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love and Night Nurse.

That's why comics were dead on the mid to late-90's and why we suddenly have a resurgence on those SAME books today - comics are hot again, and they weren't then.

I know the overall market was down following holo-foil madness and the newsstand price increases that went with it, but I've been wondering if the keys were really dead in the mid-to-late-90s. I don't know, I was in college and out of comics, getting a job, getting women, and getting a house for that entire period.

quality sells even in a down market. There weren't any AF15 or FF1 fire sales in that period. My recollection is that prices were stagnant but more or less held on big SA keys in typical grades. weaker minor keys, later issues, bronze, mid run issues... those you could get deals on, but the more blue chip the book the less likely it was ever going to be firesold, down market or not. Which is just common sense really.

I don't know how weak the "keys" really were during the 90s at all. Didn't AF 15 and Showcase 4 both have record breaking sales at around $50k in the mid 90s? I know the guide prices on SA books took huge jumps as true NM copies began to bring premiums that hadn't previously been seen. Wasn't it during this time period that Overstreet finally went to a 1-3-11 scale after the new NM prices dragged the Fine prices way too high using his old scale?

like I said the better the book the better it sold. Besides I'm talking about g and vg and fn not the white mtn AF15 you're talking about. And specifically I'm talking the post-glut 95-98 time frame, not the entire decade.

All the keys ever did was not go up, or not go up as much, during that period. Like I said there were never any firesale AF15s. Never have been any firesale action 1's either :news:

Like I said there were never any firesale AF15s. Never have been any firesale action 1's either :news:

The fact that this even needs to be posted, and that people continue to bring up the hyper-keys to somehow *prove* their point, is absolutely hilarious.

"Oh yeah, so you say there was a downturn, huh... well I know for a fact that the Dentist was offered more money in '99 than he was in '91 for his MH Action 1." doh!doh!

You did read the "hyper-key" part right? That means the very cream of the crop, the ultra high-end of the key segment, which represents less than 1% of 1% of the total key issue supply.

If you believe that infinitesimal number of mythical books (Action 1, TEC 27, Marvel 1, FF 1, Showcase 4, AF 15, Hulk 1, etc.) completely and fully represents the TOTAL key issue marketplace from all genres, eras and publishers, then more power to ya. doh!

These prices shocked me last month, but not today. I'm convinced they're being paid by inexperienced people with little patience.

Wanna bet on that, James? I'm fairly certain Brulato bought that ASM 55 9.8. He's also the owner of the sole 102 9.8 that just appeared on the census. He's on a 9.8 quest. John is going to ask him about the 55 in person at the SDCC, so place your bets now. :popcorn:

Didn't you want to mention that you have a pristine 9.6 copy of ASM 122?

If you believe that infinitesimal number of mythical books (Action 1, TEC 27, Marvel 1, FF 1, Showcase 4, AF 15, Hulk 1, etc.) completely and fully represents the TOTAL key issue marketplace from all genres, eras and publishers, then more power to ya. doh!

Are you implying the non-mega-keys fared poorly in the 90s?

Are you implying the non-mega-keys fared poorly in the 90s?

Of course they did, and I personally bought many BA keys in 1996-99 for less than they sold for in the 1989-94 period. I didn't think this was even up for debate. (shrug)

The "Big Guns" follow their own set of rules, and I doubt any will ever be part of a firesale, but once you drop from that tiny, though ever-so lofty, peak, the overall marketplace trends take control.

And in 1996-99, it was not good and I bought many books at firesale pricing - some people were amazed I even wanted the books at all - it was dark times.

The "Big Guns" follow their own set of rules, and I doubt any will ever be part of a firesale, but once you drop from that tiny, though ever-so lofty, peak, the overall marketplace trends take control.

Yea the upper end was all I checked for increases on since the recession started and was all I had in mind when I asked the thread's question.

Yea the upper end was all I checked for increases on since the recession started and was all I had in mind when I asked the thread's question.

Huh?

Certainly, individual keys have enjoyed dramatic increases over a short period of time. Marvel Comics #1, Action #1, and Detective #27 have jumped 50% to 100% or more in the past, and if they hadn't, they'd never have inflated to the huge prices they're at today. But I'm not sure that all of the popular keys have experienced the kind of price jump they have the last few years.

Seems pretty clear. (shrug)