• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigrees.....Good, Bad, or Just Plain Ugly?

Signed Pedigrees, Good, Bad, or Just Plain Ugly?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Signed Pedigrees, Good, Bad, or Just Plain Ugly?

93 posts in this topic

I do not agree with pedigrees being altered in ANY way. If the book is altered the designation should become a moot point since the history of the book has been altered.

So it is your opinion that all the restored Church books should lose their designation too?

Before or after Church owned them?
I believe they were all restored after he owned them. (shrug)

I started because of these threads. Not the SS on peds, but just reading about them. If I wasnt so lazy I would send scans so you could see what Jim means about the uniformity of the runs.

How about just an example? Are you talking about condition, or similar markings?

It's your book, do as you will (thumbs u

Exactly - the fact that it's a pedigree that was later signed doesn't take away or even diminish the fact that it is still the same pedigree copy.

-slym

doh!

It kind of does. A pedigree will usually share the same state of preservation and characteristics with all the other books in the collection. By getting one book done and not all of them, they lose their uniformity as all are no longer the same. That's why people feel that getting a book signed is to "orphan" it from the rest of the collection.

A purist will also agree that Peds shouldn't be pressed either, but I can count those people on one hand and realize that it is wishful thinking.

Jim

The first paragraph is your opinion, and I respect it, as long as you change the line to "That's why some people feel that getting a book signed is to "orphan" it from the rest of the collection."

And I for one would rather have a signed pedigree book rather than a pressed one.

Then again, I have NO dog in this fight, I own not one SS or pedigreed comic.

-slym

Slowly but surely....... lol

I'll do more research, time permitting, and see if any of it actually changes my mind. I was very much set agains CGC books at one time. Then I was against CGC SS for awhile. Who knows? This could be the thread that created another pedigree collector.

:( creating competition - oh wait, like I said earlier I can't afford most anyways lol

I would be a bottom feeder in this part of the hobby!

lol

Does everyone here know the story of the Reilly collection? It was a young man who collected. When he enlisted to fight in WWII, he asked his parents to continue buying comics for him. They did. He was KIA. His parents locked his room up for years.

Take for example the Okajima ped that was collected by a young girl in an internment camp. So lets say you have all these books piled in front of you with this incredible story and one of them has been signed. WTF? Who signed her book? Oh no she didn't get it signed, Joe Smith did years and years later.

Here are two examples of pedigrees I've never heard of. In all fairness, I'm not a pedigree collector or fan, so I don't delve into the different pedigrees that exist.

Both are interesting. Both add something special to the book, but how many books out there have similar histories without a special designation? If the dealer who originally purchased these books from the family hadn't taken note of the stories behind them, they would just be another HG copy that we consider ourselves lucky to have available.

There are many other collections like this, or others that have been lost. That is why you see guys who really pay attention to this stuff get bothered. It is like the Mass. collection. Many of these books were sold before the master list was created, effectively making them lost to future generations. Or another good one is the Green River books which Brad is constantly searching out, and has made decent headway in locating copies put up for auction as well as defrauding copies that are not really part of the collection.

Patrick: I appreciate you putting up the good fight, but I tried it a couple of days ago and got blasted for it, so I stop arguing about it.

BTW all your examples have been correct so far :thumbsup:

Jim

That was blasting? ???

I thought it was one of the more civil threads that involved a big discussion. There was no name-calling or hissy-fits. :shrug:

I thought so but I'm rediculously sensitive :shy:

Jim

:foryou:

I do not agree with pedigrees being altered in ANY way. If the book is altered the designation should become a moot point since the history of the book has been altered.

So it is your opinion that all the restored Church books should lose their designation too?

Before or after Church owned them?
I believe they were all restored after he owned them. (shrug)

???

I started because of these threads. Not the SS on peds, but just reading about them. If I wasnt so lazy I would send scans so you could see what Jim means about the uniformity of the runs.

How about just an example? Are you talking about condition, or similar markings?

How about two examples. The Pacific Coast books I own all ahve perfect gloss, white pages, and vivid colors. I own two Ohio books that are both CGC 8.5 have a grease pencil arrival date from the OO and all have white pages. Mass copy books are known for bright and vivid covers and blinding white pages. And generally condition is uniform, except for the ocassional "odd duck".

I just read the thread in the signature room. Definitely not civilized. I am just staying out of that thread.

Really? I'm being serious here. I didn't see anything completely uncivil going on in there.

Maybe I've become de-sensitized, given some of the other threads that have happened recently, but this one didn't even set off a single alarm in my mind. Maybe I glossed over some of the comments? :shrug:

Or maybe Pat's really sensitive, too... hm

I just read the thread in the signature room. Definitely not civilized. I am just staying out of that thread.

Really? I'm being serious here. I didn't see anything completely uncivil going on in there.

Maybe I've become de-sensitized, given some of the other threads that have happened recently, but this one didn't even set off a single alarm in my mind. Maybe I glossed over some of the comments? :shrug:

Or maybe Pat's really sensitive, too... hm

Just the mentality and comments. I wont go into it, but would not bother taking part in any 1 sided conversations.

Signed books do nothing for me. I certainly wouldn't deface a ped with a sig. Everyone collects differently. I'm not trying to pass judgment at all. I would have a sig on a POS SA/BA/CA/MA book if I was the person that got the sig. IMHO, a sig is a just a pen mark,scribble on a comic book. As well as another way for folks to make $. I'm a bit tipsy and depressed so.......................... :(

Its still not a compatible situation. I guess we have derailed.

I just see no reason to use a pedigreed book for SS. If someone could explain I would listen. But realistically the only thing I can think of is some knucklehead thinks they will make more money.

Think harder.

Signed books do nothing for me. I certainly wouldn't deface a ped with a sig. Everyone collects differently. I'm not trying to pass judgment at all. I would have a sig on a POS SA/BA/CA/MA book if I was the person that got the sig. IMHO, a sig is a just a pen mark,scribble on a comic book. As well as another way for folks to make $. I'm a bit tipsy and depressed so.......................... :(

And I ped notation is just another way for folks to make more money....

I get the depressed part........ :(

I think the pedigree designation is more like an award. Years of maintaining and building a great collection.

Its still not a compatible situation. I guess we have derailed.

I just see no reason to use a pedigreed book for SS. If someone could explain I would listen. But realistically the only thing I can think of is some knucklehead thinks they will make more money.

Think harder.

I guess. Really dont have the wind in my sails now. So whatever you guys wanna do go ahead. I collect my way, you collect yours.

I think the pedigree designation is more like an award. Years of maintaining and building a great collection.

Hey, I love pedigrees too...just turning around the "a sig is a just a pen mark,scribble on a comic book. As well as another way for folks to make $ "

Hey, I love pedigrees too...just turning around the "a sig is a just a pen mark,scribble on a comic book. As well as another way for folks to make $ "

I dont get it. I really didnt make that specific statement. I collect SS books as well, I just dont mess with pedigrees.

OK. I can respect a collector for whatever they collect. Hell, it's still a comic, just one that's been written on on. Again, my opinion. I don't get it. People make plenty of money off of them. That's ok with me. :gossip: Big Brother is on, I'm out. :)