• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popeye Feature Book (nn) -- my baby finally came home!

68 posts in this topic

My absolute #1 grail book just returned from a loooong vacation at the Classics Incorporated spa and resort. I think the R&R did wonders!

Here's my original thread asking for resto advice:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=30&Number=2605548&Searchpage=1&Main=136902&Words=%26quot%3Bfeature+book%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post2605548

In that thread, Kenny (Ze-man) asked that I post the results if I had the book restored. It's a funny coincidence that Kenny himself did all the cleaning and structural work on the book! So, here you go Kenny. Here are the results. I think you might be pleased. :)

Originally, I had opted for a conservation-only approach -- just cleaning, reinforcement, and tear seals. I had second thoughts, however, when I heard about Classics Inc's new advances in leaf casting.

It was a choice that I mulled over for a while.. I weighed the pros and cons of slight or moderate versus extensive restoration, but in the end, I decided it was worth the extra expense and we went all the way with leaf-casted piece fills and color touch.

The stigma against heavy restoration was not a factor in my decision. The spine of the book was in such poor shape that extreme measures were needed to save it. Just look at the photos! Also, the book is extremely rare. Overstreet says only 3 known copies exists. Two in low grade and one in VF. I will likely never get a shot at another copy.. therefore, I doubt I'll ever part with this book as long as I live. I wanted it well preserved and I wanted it to look great.

So here it is.. The finished book!

FeatureBookafterB.jpg

FeatureBookbeforeD.jpg

(Crappy photos, I know. I have terrible lighting at home.)

That's some awesome restoration on a book that was definitely worthy (and one where I doubt the restoration did anything but add value)... Good job, Kenny! and Congrats, Cheezy!

Hey Michael, glad your book finally made it home! What a total beast this book was to work on, over sized and what seemed like dozens and dozens of of pages. :frustrated:

But what a total treat it was to see and work on.

I think this book will long be a benchmark for us in terms of what it represents because the book would have been a quagmire of white japan paper and glue if we sealed it up the traditional way. Not to mention the pages would still be near brittle. But leaf casting gives us the option to make the pages whole again(as much as possible anyways) and your book utilized every aspect of that process, and even prompted us to create new techniques along the way.

It is a one of a kind book, or one of three anyways and I for one am proud to have helped in returning it to a presentable, readable, safe condition.

Jeep :cloud9:

Hey Michael, glad your book finally made it home! What a total beast this book was to work on, over sized and what seemed like dozens and dozens of of pages. :frustrated:

But what a total treat it was to see and work on.

I think this book will long be a benchmark for us in terms of what it represents because the book would have been a quagmire of white japan paper and glue if we sealed it up the traditional way. Not to mention the pages would still be near brittle. But leaf casting gives us the option to make the pages whole again(as much as possible anyways) and your book utilized every aspect of that process, and even prompted us to create new techniques along the way.

It is a one of a kind book, or one of three anyways and I for one am proud to have helped in returning it to a presentable, readable, safe condition.

Jeep :cloud9:

(worship)