• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty cool finds - last couple Estate Sales!!

28 posts in this topic

i'm not sure the card grading cos can tell if the card is cut well enough. a friend of mine who owned a shop had a guy come in with some uncut baseball card strips from the 50s. lots of HOFers in those strips. of course, each had been bent in half to carry them to the store, so selling them as a strip was made harder. luckily, the halfway on the strip wasn't necessarily a HOFer card. so he had a buddy with some sort of commercial grade paper cutter cut these up into card-sized cards and submitted them to the card grading co that owns this site and they came back with some nice grades. granted, the strips weren't perfectly centered, so there was no way to fix that, which is why he didn't turn the $10 a strip he paid for the cards into $10K+. good stuff in there like hammering hank, banks, spahn, musial, matthews, etc. no mantle, mays or williams though.

Well , we own the business and making $$ for the client is my 1st concern , so I usually let things be priced by a couple of knowledgeable contacts that we bring in prior to sale. I let items run through at least 1st day of sale until 1/2 price minus our 30% commission the 2nd day or after sale. .Our experts don't usually have time to get around to pricing books,mags,toys etc. individually , so I can sometimes pick up a deal here and there.

RE the SI . It's Mint,mint b/c it was never opened. The cards are exact same as '54 cards issued that year . As a matter of fact there has been some E-Bay scandals where they made cards out of these and tried to pass them off. There is a whole argument around whether if "pieces of paper" cut from mags can/should be considered as collectible. Regardless some individual one's have been sold. There was huge warehouse find of #1 , so #2 is more valuable, however mine is hardback advanced copy?

Can't find any comps on '74 Wiz. of Oz?

Original GI footlocker(red) is valued at $4000 in one guide. Mine is '80's.

Sword I'm still trying to figure out if it's "ceremonial" or "combat.

B~

I would also like to find the SI Silver Annv. issue from '57 that I have this original picture and letter from.

B~

123aaap045.jpg

123aaap047-2.jpg

I know a bit about Civil War stuff. Do you know if the sword is marked on the tang? Lots of times, you'll see something like "Ames Chicopee" (most common) or "Horstmann". Judging by the pic, it LOOKS reenactment. Is that a sword carrier beside it?

Sword is actually a "Clauberg-Sologen" German mgft. , I believe. Mktd. by Tomes Melvain & co.

B~

Well , we own the business and making $$ for the client is my 1st concern , so I usually let things be priced by a couple of knowledgeable contacts that we bring in prior to sale. I let items run through at least 1st day of sale until 1/2 price minus our 30% commission the 2nd day or after sale. .Our experts don't usually have time to get around to pricing books,mags,toys etc. individually , so I can sometimes pick up a deal here and there.

RE the SI . It's Mint,mint b/c it was never opened. The cards are exact same as '54 cards issued that year . As a matter of fact there has been some E-Bay scandals where they made cards out of these and tried to pass them off. There is a whole argument around whether if "pieces of paper" cut from mags can/should be considered as collectible. Regardless some individual one's have been sold. There was huge warehouse find of #1 , so #2 is more valuable, however mine is hardback advanced copy?

B~

I would also like to find the SI Silver Annv. issue from '57 that I have this original picture and letter from.

B~

123aaap045.jpg

123aaap047-2.jpg

I know a bit about Civil War stuff. Do you know if the sword is marked on the tang? Lots of times, you'll see something like "Ames Chicopee" (most common) or "Horstmann". Judging by the pic, it LOOKS reenactment. Is that a sword carrier beside it?

Sword is actually a "Clauberg-Sologen" German mgft. , I believe. Mktd. by Tomes Melvain & co.

B~

How about the case? Does that go with the sword? Are you sure it isn't "Solingen", may be this one:

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/sw19.htm

B~

B~

123aaap045.jpg

123aaap047-2.jpg

B~

How about the case? Does that go with the sword? Are you sure it isn't "Solingen", may be this one:

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/sw19.htm

Yes , thanks . That looks like the original, fer sure.

B~

I wonder if this is the only time in history that they made "exact" replicas of the "actual" cards from any given year with the backs etc. all the same ? I would assume that the paper weight would have given it away especially to the graders ?

B~

123aaap042.jpg

123aaap032.jpg

GI Joes..

Long time Joe collector here. The footlocker was the model that was manufactured from '64 into the '70's and is very common. Both of the figures are Adventure Team Land Adventurers from the '70's which were also the most common from that era. The camo outfit the figure on the bottom is wearing looks like the original one that came on the figure but all of the rest of the clothes look like non-hasbro knock off outfits that were very popular since they were cheaper than the real stuff. Great nostalgic value on the figures and they might bring 30-40.00 each. The other items are nice for diorama builders but not much value.

The Oz stuff is way cool, haven't seen that set in years.