• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Siegel Estate Wins Back Rights to Superman...

27 posts in this topic

So what do you guys think should I pitch it to DC?
:whatev: It needs some work, but I think your on the right track. Wait a minute dosent DC own ZOD!??

I hear they're working on a retcon to have Zod become Superman when he returns to Action Comics.

If they change superman away from Clark Kent just to avoid paying the family money, I will be disappointed. I'll likely stop reading/buying any superman titles if that happens.
You know...MARVEL comics has this guy called MARVELMAN now. hm

DC is also starting to refer to Connor Kent as Superman, now it seems.

Wonder if this is an attempt to keep their franchise active while moving away from the red and blue.

I know Geoff Johns has said the creative side is kept at arm's length from the legal battle, but you do have to wonder how much of recent Superman continuity is driven by either a) fear of copyright litigation or more likely b) positioning the company as being immune to threats of litigation from the other side.

First they kill Superboy Connor when it looked like the Siegles had the strongest claim on the Superboy trademark.

Then Superboy Prime no longer used that name-- instead he became Superman Prime or simply Prime.

Then when the court case turns, Prime is once again Superboy Prime.

And now Superman Clark Kent is off in outer space and Superboy Connor is brought back.

hm

My head hurts... ???:P

If they change superman away from Clark Kent just to avoid paying the family money, I will be disappointed. I'll likely stop reading/buying any superman titles if that happens.
You know...MARVEL comics has this guy called MARVELMAN now. hm

Yeah, but marvel sucks so..... :slapfight:

Yes, which is why they can use the character. This is just a quick idea to revamp the Superman mythos and keep the things pretty much the way they currently are. Only instead of the Daily Planet Superman works for Starlabs or something. His name could be renamed to Conner if need be "a rose by anyother name...."

Superman will go back to His Original paper the Daily star in Toronto

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG02/superman/mirroredimage.html

In a normal day, Superman stops a bank robbery, catches a speeding train headed toward certain doom, saves Lois Lane from an evil villain, and even helps a cat from a tall tree, before returning home to … Toronto? Clark Kent did report for The Daily Star based on The Toronto Star before 1940, when a New York editor ordered the change. Indeed, the Canadian born Joe Shuster based the futuristic Metropolis landscape on the skyline of Toronto, Canada

"Cleveland was not nearly as metropolitan as Toronto was, and it was not as big or as beautiful," Shuster told The Toronto Star in a 1992 interview. "Whatever buildings I saw in Toronto remained in my mind and came out in the form of Metropolis."

This will all get settled in the end since #1) Clark Kent is synonymous with Superman in the minds of the general public and Warner Bros/DC knows that changing this would seriously hurt the franchise and their bottom line (think McD's replacing Ronald with Robert the clown) AND #2) regardless of whether they feel they got screwed by DC, the Shusters and Siegels need the Superman franchise in one whole piece and making money to maximize their returns.

Let's face it, Superman is in a bit of a down cycle regardless of the copyright battle and both sides need to get the goose back to being golden in order to reap the maximum benefits. This requires Clark Kent to be Superman (not Conner/Stuperboy) and a new royalty agreement. It will take some time, but it will get done in the end.

In any case, here's hoping that the GL movie rocks and he replaces Superman as the #2 franchise for Warner Bros/DC. :applause: