• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Lucas: Comic Art Gallery Owner

29 posts in this topic

Flash Gordon art shared 5 top buyers from 1985-1992. then one stopped and another got divorced. Prices dropped precipitously

Given what Flash Gordon sundays are still going for today (including the gorgeous piece in the last Heritage auction), if those prices reflect a precipitous drop, I can't even imagine what they were selling for during the peak!

well, they've recovered very well. But what I was talking about was something 15 years ago.. Flash Gordon will always have a market, as will Tarzan, prince Valiant, Tracy, peanuts and maybe a few small dozen other strips. The rest will drop and never recover because there isn't enough market for them.

Flash Gordon will always have a market, as will Tarzan, prince Valiant, Tracy, peanuts and maybe a few small dozen other strips. The rest will drop and never recover because there isn't enough market for them.

Bring on the drop! I love this stuff and looking forward to saving some money.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

While it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, George Lucas owns a lot of Dave Dorman art related to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. According to Dave's own website, 90 or so pieces are owned by George.

I'm sure as a courtesy to him, he is given right of first refusal.

Cheers!

N

While it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, George Lucas owns a lot of Dave Dorman art related to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. According to Dave's own website, 90 or so pieces are owned by George.

Lucas is actually given first right of refusal for ALL licensed SW art and a good chunk of it is hanging at the Ranch (both at the new Letterman Digital complex at the Presidio and the previous corporate HQ, Big Rock Ranch). It's pretty remarkable to see it all in person and it's easy to get distracted by it all when walking through there. Some of the most incredible pieces from the last 30+ years of Star Wars are all there.

In addition to the art, the halls of both places are lined with Lucas' movie poster collection which is pretty awe-inspiring as well.

I've also been fortunate enough to see some of his original paintings from some American and European masters. I'm faaaar from a fine art collector (or enthusiast even) but its pretty mind blowing to see that stuff in person. One only wonders what other treasures he's sitting on that aren't viewable to people visiting the corporate end of things.

Is this open to the public?

Lucas is actually given first right of refusal for ALL licensed SW art and a good chunk of it is hanging at the Ranch (both at the new Letterman Digital complex at the Presidio and the previous corporate HQ, Big Rock Ranch). It's pretty remarkable to see it all in person and it's easy to get distracted by it all when walking through there. Some of the most incredible pieces from the last 30+ years of Star Wars are all there.

In addition to the art, the halls of both places are lined with Lucas' movie poster collection which is pretty awe-inspiring as well.

I've also been fortunate enough to see some of his original paintings from some American and European masters. I'm faaaar from a fine art collector (or enthusiast even) but its pretty mind blowing to see that stuff in person. One only wonders what other treasures he's sitting on that aren't viewable to people visiting the corporate end of things.

I guess I'm going to have to tag along with Shane the next time he heads out to the ranch. Or at the very least, hide in the trunk of his car. lol.

btw - for those of you that do not follow Star Wars pop culture, Shane is the man behind "The Force in the Flesh" aka the Star Wars Tattoo guy. (thumbs u

Cheers!

N