• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest slab purchase triggers massive flashback

27 posts in this topic

Ever notice how when you buy a certain comic again you can recall EXACTLY the place you were, and what you were doing when you bought that comic for the first time?

That exact thing happened to me with this latest purchase.

MASSIVE FLASHBACK

I remember buying and reading it when I was staying at this guy's cottage who was a friend of my Dad's in the summer of 1978. :cloud9:

The fact it had a very striking (and very under-appreciated) Marshall Rogers cover probably had something to do with the impact it made on me.

Does this happen to other people, where the re-purchase of certain issues trigger a flashback?

RAD53DC42009612_183022.jpg

Ever notice how when you buy a certain comic again you can recall EXACTLY the place you were, and what you were doing when you bought that comic for the first time?

That exact thing happened to me with this latest purchase.

MASSIVE FLASHBACK

I remember buying and reading it when I was staying at this guy's cottage who was a friend of my Dad's in the summer of 1978. :cloud9:

The fact it had a very striking (and very under-appreciated) Marshall Rogers cover probably had something to do with the impact it made on me.

Does this happen to other people, where the re-purchase of certain issues trigger a flashback?

:o

The very same book!

I bought the one in the June CLink auction.

Had it as a kid, read it ragged!!! Can still picture the big bodybuilders loading up a barbell on Batman's chest.

silly - CGC wasn't even around in 1978 - besides how could you read it in that slab? :baiting:

I have a similar flashback from around the same time when I remember buying another Dollar Comic: Superman Family #182. I remember where I bought it like it was yesterday because I stopped buying comics at that point. I remember looking at comics many times after that but not buying anymore because the spiraling upward pricing and page number shell game started to me off.

I also got hooked on acid at an early age when I picked up an taste for acetic acid thanks to the chip truck parked by the swimming area at the cottage.

I hear you! I just bought a n ASM 246 to

"upgrade' the one I have....one of the first comics

I ever got with my own $$..a little mom and pop place....

What a nice Jumpsuit!The cover on the original has been detatched

forever,even lost and re united a few times!! :cloud9:

I also got hooked on acid at an early age when I picked up an taste for acetic acid thanks to the chip truck parked by the swimming area at the cottage.

And FUN DIP acid

That stuff was great but man ...... it burned your tongue after a few packs

zb5f03g.jpg

Certainly not with an entombed CGC book, but I have had that experience with actual comics you can read, most notably when I bought an NM, possibly-unread run of ASM's in the 130's and 140's.

I was on the last day of my vacation when they arrived and it was a nice summer day... I sat down to read through them and the smell of newsprint, the crispness of the pages and the fact this was one of my fave BA runs was like a time machine, and I got a bit of a chill as I firmly remembered reading one of these issues on a family trip.

Killer stuff. :cloud9:

I was only a year old in 1978 so I am too young to reminisce or have flashbacks you old geezer. :baiting:

In truth, not sure I will have one of those kinds of memories. Or at least memories that would be worth keeping. What am I going to do, go out and buy some copies of X-Force or Urth 4? Probably the only thing that would pop into my head would be the realization that I had terrible taste in comic books. :sick:

What am I going to do, go out and buy some copies of X-Force or Urth 4?

you will probably want to buy 9.9 copies of all that junk, just like I want to buy 9.8 copies of all my childhood books

The Batman comics of the late 1970's are far inferior to the early 1970's ones with the Adams covers, but I still remember them fondly :cloud9:

I've had flash backs like that when I re-read early Batman books from the mid 70's and especially when I see the double page splash to X-men #119.

:cloud9:

What am I going to do, go out and buy some copies of X-Force or Urth 4?

you will probably want to buy 9.9 copies of all that junk, just like I want to buy 9.8 copies of all my childhood books

The Batman comics of the late 1970's are far inferior to the early 1970's ones with the Adams covers, but I still remember them fondly :cloud9:

If I remember correctly Neal Adams worked on Urth 4. 9.9 copy hm Although not sure if he was the artist or contributed in another way.