• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has The Bottom Dropped Out?

130 posts in this topic

I don't quite understand why anyone would think the bottom has dropped out just because easy to get sigs on common modern books aren't selling for inflated prices. If you watch sales closely I'm sure you'll notice that everything from golden to bronze age, even some books into the mid 1980's are still going strong. Sure, some of the moderns that are out there and are still coming out have great covers but there's very few artists/writers working right now that are hard to get sigs from.

I think the hobby it's self has dropped & will continue to do so, not just CGC books but all comics in general... and sellers of comics are at the mercy of the buyer and what they have to spend... 2c

You don't really see a bottom though on books like Captain America 100 9.4 CGC, that book has been red hot, like Avengers 57 and others, they keep going up. I still believe that the Marvel films will continue to push the comic book prices forward.

Bill.

I think the hobby it's self has dropped & will continue to do so, not just CGC books but all comics in general... and sellers of comics are at the mercy of the buyer and what they have to spend... 2c

You don't really see a bottom though on books like Captain America 100 9.4 CGC, that book has been red hot, like Avengers 57 and others, they keep going up. I still believe that the Marvel films will continue to push the comic book prices forward.

Bill.

Agreed. As long as Marvel/Disney pumps out quality superhero movies the value should maintain and even increase. :wishluck:

Bill.

Agreed. As long as Marvel/Disney pumps out quality superhero movies the value should maintain and even increase. :wishluck:

Yes, I agree with you that Disney is a big qualifier, hopefully they will add to and not destroy the Marvel brand.

Bill.

I think everything is cooling off right now. HG keys always being an exception. Look around the boards, most of us that usually snap up the low to mid range priced (under $300) have practically stopped buying. How many threads with some nice stuff at good prices have posts like "just no money right now"? The combination of the end of a great summer convention season, a lousy economy, and a relative glut of material all equal a depressed market.

Cool neat stuff still sells. Over signed artists sit like dog poo. People are moving beyond the mundane signature and focusing more on sketch covers.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Hell yeah! Signatures are fine, but sketches are where it's at!

Well, at the risk of receiving the slings and arrows of many people, I will tell you what one of the problems is. Say a book has a GPA of $100 and it gets a couple of sigs on it that cost $150 to get and factor in a factor for the time and expense of getting it done. Then it gets put up on the Boards for sale @ $750. Lot's of "ooohs" and "ahhs" and whatnot. No takers. It gets put on Ebay, sells for $235, and now the "bottom has dropped out."

It's not to say it is not a great book, it likely is. But even though the whole may be better than the sum of its parts, it is not $4-500 better. Accurate pricing for the opportunity cost of these books will lead to better sales. It doesn't take a very bright person to think to themselves, "Gee, why don't i buy the book, crack it, get it signed, and get my own done for $250, rather than pay an arbitrary $750." Stroking a lot of singles, doubles and triples will pay off a lot better in the long run than jacking a couple out of the park and whiffing a lot.

Well, at the risk of receiving the slings and arrows of many people, I will tell you what one of the problems is. Say a book has a GPA of $100 and it gets a couple of sigs on it that cost $150 to get and factor in a factor for the time and expense of getting it done. Then it gets put up on the Boards for sale @ $750. Lot's of "ooohs" and "ahhs" and whatnot. No takers. It gets put on Ebay, sells for $235, and now the "bottom has dropped out."

It's not to say it is not a great book, it likely is. But even though the whole may be better than the sum of its parts, it is not $4-500 better. Accurate pricing for the opportunity cost of these books will lead to better sales. It doesn't take a very bright person to think to themselves, "Gee, why don't i buy the book, crack it, get it signed, and get my own done for $250, rather than pay an arbitrary $750." Stroking a lot of singles, doubles and triples will pay off a lot better in the long run than jacking a couple out of the park and whiffing a lot.

(worship)

I was about to jump on the bandwagon because I've been so frustrated with my sales (or lack thereof) lately, but then I saw this:

Iron Man #1 SS CGC 9.8

I hope this is a Boardie's book.

I guess it just goes to show you that regardless of the market, you can still do well if you have something unique that is in high demand.