• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has The Bottom Dropped Out?

130 posts in this topic

Do you have 10 copies of 300 in 9.6 can you get me 10 by the end of the day tommorrow. If the answer is no, then this isn't a common book. I owned a comic shop for 3 years and in that time I saw maybe 7 copies come trough my door for sale. Now sure some guys would come in with a 9.6 or a 9.8 to get signed by Toddy Mc and stan the man. But as far as copies for sell 7. That says alot because I had everything from avengers 1 to x-men 266 come through the door and I bought books every week but only 7 300's. and they would usually sell fast. Oh and I forgot to mention that those weren't graded 9.6 copies. 1 out of the seven was a graded 9.6. all the others were raw 8.5-9.4.

Just because there are alot in 9.6 doesn't mean anything. there are 6 billion people in the population. So I think that means that less than 1 percent of the population can own a 9.6 of that book and less than 1 tenth of 1 percent can own a SS 9.6 copy of that book. Now that doesn't mean that everybody in that 1 tenth of 1 percent gets to own one signed by all 3 just that they get to own a SS 9.6 copy.

Look at those numbers and put it into perspective before you say something is common.

Do you have 10 copies of 300 in 9.6 can you get me 10 by the end of the day tommorrow. If the answer is no, then this isn't a common book. I owned a comic shop for 3 years and in that time I saw maybe 7 copies come trough my door for sale. Now sure some guys would come in with a 9.6 or a 9.8 to get signed by Toddy Mc and stan the man. But as far as copies for sell 7. That says alot because I had everything from avengers 1 to x-men 266 come through the door and I bought books every week but only 7 300's. and they would usually sell fast. Oh and I forgot to mention that those weren't graded 9.6 copies. 1 out of the seven was a graded 9.6. all the others were raw 8.5-9.4.

Just because there are alot in 9.6 doesn't mean anything. there are 6 billion people in the population. So I think that means that less than 1 percent of the population can own a 9.6 of that book and less than 1 tenth of 1 percent can own a SS 9.6 copy of that book. Now that doesn't mean that everybody in that 1 tenth of 1 percent gets to own one signed by all 3 just that they get to own a SS 9.6 copy.

Look at those numbers and put it into perspective before you say something is common.

ASM #300 had a print run around 300,000, and was published during a time when people knew full well how to protect & care for their comic books, which means that HG copies are never really going to be that hard to find.

I could go on ebay right now and get 10 CGC 9.6 copies if I felt like it - which, honestly, is not something you can say for a whole lot of other books (wolverine #1 springs to mind).

"Common" to me isn't a bad word - it's merely a reflection of how easy it is to find a book in a desired grade - and with that criteria in mind, there's no way you can say that ASM #300 isn't a common book.

Maybe I carried over a meaning that "common" has in card collecting over to comic collecting, but I sure thought it had the same meaning in both contexts. In card collecting, a "common" is a card of your ordinary, run of the mill player. It is not an indication of rarity, or a lack thereof. Ken Griffey Jr. (I'm using him because he was a hot player from about the same era as ASM #300) could never be a "common," even if there were twice as many of his card than any other card. In the same manner, an ASM #300 would never be a common, even though it might be easier to find than say an ASM #297. On the other hand, unless there were some reason that a lot of people wanted ASM #297, it would be a common because there is nothing to distinguish the book from any other book of that time, and that would be the case even if the issue were hard to find.

There may be 6 billion people in the population but less than 1% of them collect comics throwing off your supply vs demand calculation.

ASM #300 had a print run around 300,000, and was published during a time when people knew full well how to protect & care for their comic books, which means that HG copies are never really going to be that hard to find.

I could go on ebay right now and get 10 CGC 9.6 copies if I felt like it - which, honestly, is not something you can say for a whole lot of other books (wolverine #1 springs to mind).

"Common" to me isn't a bad word - it's merely a reflection of how easy it is to find a book in a desired grade - and with that criteria in mind, there's no way you can say that ASM #300 isn't a common book.

Exactly my point.

Do you have 10 copies of 300 in 9.6 can you get me 10 by the end of the day tommorrow. If the answer is no, then this isn't a common book.

What if I can get you TWENTY?

There are 20 CGC 9.6 or better ASM 300s for sale right now on eBay. That doesn't include all the copies ranging from 8.0 to 9.4.

If by "common," you're using the particular dictionary definition (and there are plenty) of "occurring or appearing frequently," then you're absolutely right--ASM #300 is "common." But then again, so are FF #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, ASM #1 and a whole lot of other silver age keys. There are plenty of them out there to be had; it's just a matter of having the resources in order to be able to get them.

In this context, "common" means something that is not out of the ordinary. Clearly, ASM #300 is not an ordinary book. If it were, a 9.6 copy would go for less than $25, much like ASM #296. And yet, you can much more readily find a 9.6 copy of ASM #300 than you can ASM #296. So why isn't ASM #296 more expensive than ASM #300? Because ASM #296 is common, and ASM #300 is not.

It has been clearly pointed out by not only myself but others as well, that ASM 300 is not a difficult book to obtain in high grade yet you seem to have an inflexible viewpoint on this. I respectfully withdraw from any further discussion on this matter.