• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would be a better investment? X-men 137 or Hulk 340

36 posts in this topic

"Investing" in comics gives me the willies. But if you must do so, save your sheckles and buy the nicest copy of a key book from whatever era you enjoy the most. The two book you have listed are not keys. They are, however, both awesome. If you want them, get them. If you are investing, stick to price performing keys.

GPA 12-month has the Hulk #340 in CGC 9.8 at $223

Here are a few books I'd rather have in that price rante...just a few...

Conan #1 CGC 9.0

Captain America #110 CGC 9.2

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 9.0

House of Secrets #92 CGC 7.5

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.2

Iron Man #55 CGC 9.2

Marvel Spotlight #2 CGC 9.0 WP

Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 8.5

Marvel Spotlight #32 CGC 9.6 WP (probably a good investment)

Silver Surfer #4 CGC 8.0

Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.2

Werewolf By Night #32 CGC 9.0 WP

Just me though... (shrug)

^ Thanks man. It helps alot getting advice like that from someone that knows what they are talking about. Here are my three biggest snaggs.

1) I see all these books I like and think would be worth money so I'm constantly "look at that, THAT, oh that!, or that one!"

2) I'm trying to figure out how the grading effects the price. Example 9.8 seems to be the "goal" and 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0 seem to have a hard hit in worth. So I'm worried that if I pick up a nice 9.0 or so I will watch the 9.8s go through the roof while my 9.0 gains $100 value in 5 years vs the 9.8 gaining $800 value. Make sense?

3) I'm trying to figure out where the money is. I will always buy books to enjoy and read but I also want to put some money into cgc books and hopefully make money. So is there more value in Cap America or should I focus my coin on Spidey?

I'm a confused lad :(

9.8 isn't everyone's goal, especially depending on the age, as that grade may be cost prohibitive for most collectors. I think your example is really applicable to Modern Age books. CGC 9.8 moderns might be worth something, but anything less is pretty worthless. There is obviously a drop in value for anything less than a 9.8 in the other ages but there is still some significant worth in non-9.8 high grade books.

Obviously if you're looking at Modern Age books (~1992 to present) the only ones of real value are 9.8+ books, and not all modern 9.8's are worth alot due to the fact that they are so overproduced and plentiful in high grade. That's excluding the few 'rare' modern age books or "hot" books like Walking Dead #1, etc. which may have some good value in 9.6. If you're looking at Copper Age books (1980-1992) 9.6 is probably the minimum grade worth purchasing in my opinion. This obviously varies by collector and your disposable income but is typically my "keeper" standard. Bronze Age books (1970-1980) really vary. For the keys and 1st appearance books, I typically set my standard at 9.0+. Silver Age books I like in 8.0+. I don't really purchase Golden Age books simply because they're so dang pricey and I have two kids to send to college. :)

As for "where the money is" that's a loaded question. It's all over the place. I purchase what I like, which are classic covers and 1st appearance books, both of which seem to be a good place to start if you're looking to "invest in comics". If your goal is to flip books for profit, find out what comic related books are coming out in 2-3 years, buy the 1st appearance of that character, and sell the book just after the first trailer for the movie airs when the hype is at its peak.

There's my $0.02

I wouldn't buy either of them.I reconmmend you buy a key book in high grade.I also reconmmend you get a CGC 9.8 that's signed by a writer or artist or both.
But Which book in high grade??? (shrug)

If you are buying books strictly for re-sale, Amazing Spider-Man is by far the most liquid title.

Not saying that you're guaranteed to make big bucks on it. But, as long as the hobby remains, you will be able to sell ASM's.

"Investing" in comics gives me the willies. But if you must do so, save your sheckles and buy the nicest copy of a key book from whatever era you enjoy the most. The two book you have listed are not keys. They are, however, both awesome. If you want them, get them. If you are investing, stick to price performing keys.

My red-headed friend doesn't mean what he's saying. They ARE keys, but they are only keys relative to their respective runs and the eras in which they were printed. They are not keys in the broad sense of "comic book keys", but they are most definitely keys relative to when they came out.

Oh, and for the record...and I know this doesn't help anyone, even me....but I don't think ANY CGC slabbed books are "a good investment" unless we're talking uber rare, and/or uber high grade.

And this means virtually everything from about 1964 up.

For every slabbed book that has gone UP since GPA was founded, I can show you 100 that have gone DOWN (ok, that may be an exaggeration, but it's not much of one.)

You would do far, far, far better learning how to grade with precision and buying raw books, and THEN slabbing them, as you will buying already slabbed books at this time.