• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Collections NOT in the Registry?

145 posts in this topic

Why is the registry such a big deal anyway? Isn't it kind of like getting gold stars in elementary school? I know my collection is pretty good. But I'm not real concerned about how it will rate against other's collections. At the end of the day they are just a pile of cool books that I enjoy having.

It's also a way to share your collection with other people and make it available via the web.

I've posted scans of just about everything I own over in Gold. If anyone wants to see something all they have to do is ask. Ghost Town had mentioned to me that it is a good way to put all of your scans in one, easy to browse place. But my fear is that the registry becomes a universal want-list and, since most of the things I am looking for are fairly unique, if I want something that isn't in my registry set it will cost me more.

Terrific 5?I would love to see that!

Why is the registry such a big deal anyway? Isn't it kind of like getting gold stars in elementary school? I know my collection is pretty good. But I'm not real concerned about how it will rate against other's collections. At the end of the day they are just a pile of cool books that I enjoy having.

Can't speak for anybody else but I like adding to my relatively insignificant registry sets. Nothing I own is going to top any registry set or be something that others haven't seen a bunch of times. And that's alright with me. I do it for the same reason I used put check marks on my checklist cards when I collected Topps baseball as a kid. It's one more thing for me to do with my collection. It's one more way to log and organize my collection for my own pleasure. Personally, it works rather well with my obsessive-compulsive side. I like clicking on it from time to time and seeing which issues I still need.

I fill out my registry for me because I enjoy it. I don't really think of it as a comparison tool. I think of it as my registry for my comics. Not the registry for everyone's comics, and therefore not something I strive to be competitive with. If that makes any sense.

ps: I would love to get a registry award for something, anything. Heck, it could be for having the most unimpressive collection on the registry. I really don't care. Has nothing to do with validation, I just think it would be something fun.

In an interview with Howard Stern in 2001 this actor said he had two copies of Superman #1 and before that he was on Entertainment Tonight where he showed of his 10 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15. Below is a link to the transcript of that interview with Howard Stern. About 3/4s down he talks about investing in comics.

http://www.freddieprinzejr.com/transcript_stern01.htm

My sets in the registry rank at # 53 and is mostly X-Men. I have complete runs of mid to high grade ASM ( nearly 2x over) , Avengers, Daredevil, Mad, near complete FF and Hulk and another run of X-Men. Plus thousands of other books and runs of SA Hawkman, Conan and nearly all bronze runs. All if I had graded would put me in the top 10 of the registry if not the top 5.

Sounds great? All of that is completely and utterly meaningless.

The reality is that it is a pittance compared to what is really out there. It would not be in the top 100 collections and we will never know all the great collections out there.