• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey, pulp collectors! What's your focus?

68 posts in this topic

I'm a long time fan of "classic" science fiction, so I've been looking for pulps from the 30s and 40s with stories by Heinlein, Sturgeon, Asimov, and others.

I just think it's very cool to read the stories in their original appearance. Plus, a lot of issues of Astounding, where Heinlein and Asimov made many appearances, seemed to survive, so they're not impossible to find.

gozer

-------------------------------

Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's

remotely true! Facts, schmacks.

I started out chasing the classic sci-fi genre as well, but have branched out to include just about any sci-fi pulp. I love em all

:)

You know what I find amazing? Is that you can buy nice 1940's SciFi pulps for right around what it would cost to buy a modern paper-back book. It's such a great deal picking up a nice Thrilling, Startling or Planet Stories, written by a SciFi master & with great vintage cover art, and only pay $8-12 bucks a piece. :cloud9:

:makepoint: horrible sales pitch...just horrible lol

???

I'm not trying to Pimp any sales, just look on eBay and you'll see for yourself (except for ridiculous BIN listings). :makepoint:

Thanks for the advice, gents!

And thanks, Shiver, for the link, that site is going to be very helpful!

For the collectors who go after the big name authors (let's say ERB, Howard, Lovecraft, Hammet, Chandler, er, Hubbard, I guess..., maybe Bloch), I'm guessing you're doing this because you want the first appearance of the story, right?

Does it bother you that the material has been reprinted many times and is available in a (probably) cheaper package?

I'm not trying to be cheeky, I'd love to buy "The Call of Cthulhu" or "Pigeons From Hell," "The Glass Key," whatever, but the prices seem very high for those particular pulps when the paperback is so much cheaper.

On the other hand, if you're a die-hard fan, I guess it doesn't matter, right?

I can only speak from Burroughs collecting so don't know about other authors but when the original stories were reprinted in hardback they often changed the story, so if you want the "true" full story you have to have the pulp.

But really, it's just another excuse to collect something! lol! I have around 150 pulps containing ERB stories and I am not even close to having them all. I probably never will.

Can someone recommend a very comprehensive pulp price guide please.

BGPRM2005-000frontcoverspine.jpg

This above copy is the copy you are most likely to find, but try to find the first issue pictured below.

84768.jpg

It has much better information than the second issue. :cloud9:

Really? Why would he have worsened the book with the later edition?

I've talked to Tim at length about pulps (and Centaurs); he's got such a passion for these books. He believes that a Gerber style book of pulp covers would really get the hobby to take off, but he thinks anyone attempting such a tome would go bankrupt (Ernie Gerber lost a lot of money on his books and they had a much larger potential audience).

So what was in 1st edition that he removed?

This above copy is the copy you are most likely to find, but try to find the first issue pictured below.

84768.jpg

I've talked to Tim at length about pulps (and Centaurs); he's got such a passion for these books. He believes that a Gerber style book of pulp covers would really get the hobby to take off, but he thinks anyone attempting such a tome would go bankrupt (Ernie Gerber lost a lot of money on his books and they had a much larger potential audience).

I too am curious concerning this... what is in the first that was omitted or changed in the second edition?

Does it bother you that the material has been reprinted many times and is available in a (probably) cheaper package?

ACTION #1 has been reprinted a few times and is still a popular book with collectors (shrug)

I think I get what you're saying, but I must disagree with the example you used.

Action #1 is a commodity, or, if you prefer, a work of fine art, like a Picasso. It is far too expensive and rare for the average comic collector to buy (probably for 98% of comic collectors).

Therefore, for the average collector there is no choice to be made between picking up an original Action #1 or a reprint because it is beyond their means.

However, if I want to buy the original appearance of Howard's "Pigeons From Hell," in Weird Tales May 1938, a VG copy would cost me (according to the Bookery guide) about $75.

But, I do have a choice here, because that story is readily available in a trade paperback, along with two dozen other Howard stories, for about $18 from any bookstore.

So what I was trying to get at with my question was, why decide to spend the extra money for that story. I wanted to understand the psychology behind the purchase. That's all.

ACTION #1 has been reprinted a few times and is still a popular book with collectors (shrug)

I think I get what you're saying, but I must disagree with the example you used.

Action #1 is a commodity, or, if you prefer, a work of fine art, like a Picasso. It is far too expensive and rare for the average comic collector to buy (probably for 98% of comic collectors).

Therefore, for the average collector there is no choice to be made between picking up an original Action #1 or a reprint because it is beyond their means.

However, if I want to buy the original appearance of Howard's "Pigeons From Hell," in Weird Tales May 1938, a VG copy would cost me (according to the Bookery guide) about $75.

But, I do have a choice here, because that story is readily available in a trade paperback, along with two dozen other Howard stories, for about $18 from any bookstore.

So what I was trying to get at with my question was, why decide to spend the extra money for that story. I wanted to understand the psychology behind the purchase. That's all.

Tom Clancy's "The Hunt For Red October" first edition/first print still sells and is worth a hell of a lot more than the many many printings that is out there. Why? Scarcity and the fact that book collectors like to collect 1st ed/1st print copies. I don't see much difference from book collectors and pulp collectors.

84768.jpg

I too am curious concerning this... what is in the first that was omitted or changed in the second edition?

Okay, here's the skinny on the two different Bookery Guides:

The first one listed just VG price for all pulps.

The second issue lists Good, VG and Fine

Now, in order to show three different prices, something had to be omitted to make room. What got omitted was a lot of detail concerning each pulp.....the reference was shortened to make room. The second issue is more an Overstreet Price Guide and less of a Pulp Reference Guide with pricing. I understand what Tim was shooting for, but the change really didn't ned to take place. You could take the VG price and go 1/2 to 1/3 of VG to get your Good "Reader copy" value, or take VG and X2 or X3 to get Fine or VF. It wasn't neccassary, and a lot of great information was left out to make room for Good........Very Good......Fine. :sorry:

That's why the first release is the better book, and also harder to find.

84768.jpg

Hi Win,

A gerber style book would break anyone these days, printing costs would make the book a $200.00+ each purchase, if not more.

A Grand Comic Book Database would be a better idea. There's a need for it and all you have to do is contribute scans. If you want a title in print, print off the page (I do this for my collecting...I like doing it that way....low tech).

Right now I would like to print off the first 4-5 years of Amazing Stories in the oirder they appeared, and I can't find a single web site that has them all or set in order. Frustrating. :pullhair:

For the collectors who go after the big name authors (let's say ERB, Howard, Lovecraft, Hammet, Chandler, er, Hubbard, I guess..., maybe Bloch), I'm guessing you're doing this because you want the first appearance of the story, right?

I'm not trying to be cheeky, I'd love to buy "The Call of Cthulhu" or "Pigeons From Hell," "The Glass Key," whatever, but the prices seem very high for those particular pulps when the paperback is so much cheaper.

Why do collectors pay 115K for Amazing Fantasy #15 when it's been reprinted many, many times?!? :makepoint:

Why do collectors pay 115K for Amazing Fantasy #15 when it's been reprinted many, many times?!? :makepoint:

My example was better! :makepoint:

A Grand Comic Book Database would be a better idea. There's a need for it and all you have to do is contribute scans. If you want a title in print, print off the page (I do this for my collecting...I like doing it that way....low tech).

Right now I would like to print off the first 4-5 years of Amazing Stories in the oirder they appeared, and I can't find a single web site that has them all or set in order. Frustrating. :pullhair:

Are you familiar with http://philsp.com?

Magazine Cover Index

Amazing Stories

Are you familiar with http://philsp.com?

Magazine Cover Index

Amazing Stories

I use that all the time. The interface is a little cumbersome, but it's a fantastic resource. (thumbs u

Are you familiar with this website?

Magazine Cover Index

Amazing Stories

You are the man, BZ. (worship)

I've visited this site before but totally forgot about it. Finally have my Amazing Stories cover scans. :cloud9: It's so much easier to use a visual reference than a numerical.

My example was better! :makepoint:

My was shorter & to the point! :makepoint::sumo:

I can only speak from Burroughs collecting so don't know about other authors but when the original stories were reprinted in hardback they often changed the story, so if you want the "true" full story you have to have the pulp.

But really, it's just another excuse to collect something! lol! I have around 150 pulps containing ERB stories and I am not even close to having them all. I probably never will.

Thanks for the explanation, Comics-n-ERB!

I wonder what other authors had changes made to their material when it came time to reprint?

Tom Clancy's "The Hunt For Red October" first edition/first print still sells and is worth a hell of a lot more than the many many printings that is out there. Why? Scarcity and the fact that book collectors like to collect 1st ed/1st print copies. I don't see much difference from book collectors and pulp collectors.

Ah, this also makes sense, I didn't see the link between Book and Pulp collectors before, but I think you are right! Thanks, Paratrooper!

OK, let's use Amazing Spiderman #1-100 as examples.

Why do people pay $10 for a VG copy of #67, or $25,000 for a 9.8 copy?

It has been reprinted numerous times in Marvel Tales alone, plus Marvel Masterworks, trade paperbacks, etc.

Why pay $10 for a reading copy when you can get a Marvel Tales reprint for 25 cents in bulk lots?

The point is .............. some people will ALWAYS want to own the original

I have no direction where collecting pulps are concerned - I find them all fascinating in a way that comics aren't. Don't get me wrong - I love and collect comics as well (I better by now since I have about 60,000 sitting behind me) but I find pulps as mysterious and alluring as movies from the 1920's & 30's, jazz age flappers and photos of Louise Brooks.

I'm just glad to see that lots of people have the same interests so I can learn from their wealth of experience in this field.

It's difficult not for me to buy pulps when I see them for sale on here.

I recently bought 7 bound volumes from the 30's and I still don't know where I'm going to put them!