• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Grade for Captain America 106

24 posts in this topic

I think I see some small foxxing so you can't go above 9.4.

I think it would be 9.2 but the production defect might be so bad you might get a green label.893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm really confused; what defect are you referring too; assuming you are referring to the miswrap or miscut cover, since when does either of these defects constitue a "qualified" grade?

What I might was they might go with a green label 9.4/9.6 or a blue label 9.0/9.2.

I know when I sent in some cards to PSA that had a production defect they gave me the option of a PSA 8 (with the note on the label) or a PSA 7 (clean/no notes).

I took the clean 7.

I hate notes... gossip.gif

What I might was they might go with a green label 9.4/9.6 or a blue label 9.0/9.2.

I actually grade this book as a VF/NM 9.0.

I have yet to see an example of a book that was either manufactured with a miscut cover, or a miswrapped cover, which recieved a green label. In fact, I have an example for both; one I own -- its a Zap Comix 1 (2nd printing) with manufactured miscut pages (interior pages stick out from the book on all edges). It recieved a CGC NM- 9.2, and because this was book was slabbed in the first year or so of CGC, it has the comment "manufactured with miscut pages."

In the Overstreet grading guide, there are several examples of miswrapped covers -- none have a qualified notation.

I also just ran a search on the heritage comics site (under the permanent auction archives), and used the search criteria "miscut" (check radio button to search in titles and descriptions), and every single comic that shows up had a blue label.

If CGC gives out qualified grades for either miswrapped or miscut books, then I have yet to see it. And as far as my grading background is concerned, I have never heard giving a "qualified" grade to a book with a miswrap;miscut.

Two grades:

Me: VF 8.0 due to the miscut

My guess at CGC's grade: 9.2 to 9.4

Here is how I arrived at my grade estimation. The highest grade I found in the Overstreet Grading Guide which allows a miswrap is NM- 9.2. My experience is the CGC's grading is somewhat stricter, so I would place it between a VF+ 8.5 and a VF/NM 9.0, but I'm leaning more towards the 9.0 grade.

I would be interested to know how you arrived at a VF 8.0 score. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif