• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS for a SA 9.8

38 posts in this topic

I'm considering getting a sig for one of my 9.8 SA books. Since it's a SA book, there are only a handful of 9.8s out there of this book according to census, so it is harder to come by in grade.

One of my biggest concerns would be that the book comes back in a lower grade. Value wise, if this were to happen, it would be pretty costly, as this is a 4 figure book. Though, I will probably end up taking the risk after all considerations.

To this end, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience getting a SS for a high value 9.8 book, and what your outcome and thoughts on the experience were?

(As far as the "why don't you just SS a 9.6 book", yes, I understand I can do that, but I wanted to hear feedback on SSing a 9.8 book.)

Grails and somewhereintexas have both had excellent success with early Bronze and late Silver high dollar 9.8s holding grade after SS. I think one of Grails 9.8s did drop but his Captain Savage and Iron MAn 1s both held 9.8. George's Swamp Thing 1 held 9.8 and he made a fortune on it.

Grails and somewhereintexas have both had excellent success with early Bronze and late Silver high dollar 9.8s holding grade after SS. I think one of Grails 9.8s did drop but his Captain Savage and Iron MAn 1s both held 9.8. George's Swamp Thing 1 held 9.8 and he made a fortune on it.

Do you know if they were done personally, or did they consign the book to have it signed (ie. Desert Wind)?

What is the book? and who are you thinking to get it signed by?

I'm considering getting a sig for one of my 9.8 SA books. Since it's a SA book, there are only a handful of 9.8s out there of this book according to census, so it is harder to come by in grade.

One of my biggest concerns would be that the book comes back in a lower grade. Value wise, if this were to happen, it would be pretty costly, as this is a 4 figure book. Though, I will probably end up taking the risk after all considerations.

To this end, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience getting a SS for a high value 9.8 book, and what your outcome and thoughts on the experience were?

(As far as the "why don't you just SS a 9.6 book", yes, I understand I can do that, but I wanted to hear feedback on SSing a 9.8 book.)

Do you know if they were done personally, or did they consign the book to have it signed (ie. Desert Wind)?

pirate did one for Grails, the Captain Savage, I think Chandler may have done the IM #1. Someone must have done George's ST #1 (most likely Kris Moore), but come to think of it, I am not positive that it was a cracked slab, although I think it was. Bottom line is, no one can do it except a Witness or someone doing it front of a Witness, so you have to have a Witness no matter what.

My submissions have turned out well. That is a result of careful handling by the witnesses of course. Luck comes into play once the signer has the book in his/her hands and the witness is thinking, please don't xxx this up.

I submitted Iron Man 1, Captain America 100, Nick Fury 1 and Captain Savage 1 all in 9.8. The only one that dropped to 9.6 was Cap 100 because Stan Lee decided to sign in a different area of the book halfway through signing his name. He scribbled out what he had wrote and signed again.

Its a tense game to play with high dollar books and its completely out of your hands. You have to be willing to accept a grade loss before you even send your book.

As for who handled my books:

NF1 and CS1 Anthony (Pirate)

IM1 Unknown (I had the book carried to the con by a friend who found a witness)

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

My submissions have turned out well. That is a result of careful handling by the witnesses of course. Luck comes into play once the signer has the book in his/her hands and the witness is thinking, please don't xxx this up.

I submitted Iron Man 1, Captain America 100, Nick Fury 1 and Captain Savage 1 all in 9.8. The only one that dropped to 9.6 was Cap 100 because Stan Lee decided to sign in a different area of the book halfway through signing his name. He scribbled out what he had wrote and signed again.

Its a tense game to play with high dollar books and its completely out of your hands. You have to be willing to accept a grade loss before you even send your book.

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

Hey Grails,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Had Stan Lee not decided to resign your Cap 100, it looks like you would have had same grade returns for all books, so that is great success.

And it's also hear that CGC never dropped a grade on any of the books because that seems like a risk in and of itself once you crack a slab regardless of signing.

I am in love with those books - Bet you treasure those!

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

I had Roy Thomas sign a a 9.8 copy of Invaders #1... he signed it too hard. It came back a 9.6. I've attempted to sell it and for now I'm keeping it, but I couldn't even manage to get an offer of 1/2 of what I paid for it.

It's a risk to take and you have to be sure you can live with it if it comes back lower

I had Roy Thomas sign a a 9.8 copy of Invaders #1... he signed it too hard. It came back a 9.6. I've attempted to sell it and for now I'm keeping it, but I couldn't even manage to get an offer of 1/2 of what I paid for it.

It's a risk to take and you have to be sure you can live with it if it comes back lower

I keep hearing this, and it makes sense.

But I think for me, I need to know the probability of whether it would stay in grade or come back a lower grade in order to assess exactly how much risk I'm taking.

...It's good to hear people's experiences to help me do this.

doh!

Senior moment.

So, let me get this right... Stan Lee, scribbled on your 9.8 book, and you have a random scribble on your 9.8 book?

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

So, let me get this right... Stan Lee, scribbled on your 9.8 book, and you have a random scribble on your 9.8 book?

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

Could we please see that book? No way it could beat the 'spider' on the AM129 he did but still...