• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten silver keys if we started a portfolio?

114 posts in this topic

I think if you asked 100 kids who was "cooler", or who the liked more, Spiderman or Superman, 80 would say Spiderman. I'm sure you know enough about the collecting cycles to know that when those kids become big spenders they'll be looking for AF15, not AC1, price difference excluded...just my $0.02

This is what I would see happening.

Any of my friends kids, my nephews (my own son is only 11 months old......but he sure knows who Spidey is, via his pointing and smiling!........Superman - not so much) all say Spider-Man is way cooler.

Exactly, do you guys really think buying an AF15 today is a wise investment? REALLY? A lot of other SA books have more room to appreciate, mainly 1st apps of villains, ASM 14, FF5, GL7 etc. These could grow way more rapidly than any of the other ''top 10'' which will probably stagnate in the affordable grades.

40 years from now, AF#15 may very well be seen in the same light as AC#1 and Tec#27 is today. If you believe that, then yes, AF#15 is a good investment.

I think Marvel does a little better job marketing Spiderman to the kids than DC does marketing Superman and Batman, just me though... (shrug)

Like I said there are at least 5-10 AF15s available for sale at any given time. How many Action 1s or TEC 27s have sold in the last year?... It's mainly a question of rarity. You miss out on one auction, there'll be another coming round the mountain. As a collector, I would love to own AF15; but as an investor, NOW is not the time to buy just my 2c

Rarity SHOULD beat out popularity

AF #15 Will be considered the AC#1 OR TEC #27 in the future,and I do believe it has much farther to grow,I know back in the eighties when a NM AF #15 was going for a 1000.00 dollars everyone said couldnt go any higher,please.We all know now dont we,in 40 years supply will have dwindled,and demand will increase.

A thousand in 1980 would have about five-thousand equivalent spending dollars today. (make your own conclusions).

I'm curious. Why do you believe the supply of AF15s will dwindle from the current supply? Do you know folks who are actively discarding them?

I'm thinking as collectors get older and begin to divest themselves of their collections, more AF15s will come to market.

supplies dwindle from natural disasters(fire,flood etc.) remember we were talking 20 years,right.Alot of things can happen in that time,but demand for such an Iconic character will not deminish 2c

That's right. And since the population of the world will keep increasing, that'll make everything in huge demand in the future. That includes slabbed AF15s.

I'm starting to get it now.

Well...there's another variable in the equation. With that in mind, what's the first appearance of Gozilla or Ganesh?

That's right. And since the population of the world will keep increasing, that'll make everything in huge demand in the future. That includes slabbed AF15s.

I'm starting to get it now.

Well...there's another variable in the equation.

That's right.

What this means is that a HG AF15 will probably go from 150K in 2009 to at least 1 million in 2035. Counting for inflation, that'll be more like 2.6 million.

It's obvious with the increase in population - this book will be in demand.

Wii generation or not, the kids today will certainly have the requisite earning power in the future to buy all the HG valuable comic books we're investing in now. It really doesn't matter that at today's prices, most HG books already price out the majority of collectors. The kids of today who will become the adults of the future won't have such problems.

Riddle me this. Who and how much should a VF-NM copy (only 6 are available) of the origin and first appearance of a major character sell for? It is also a very tough book to find in high grade

Guest Star for years.

Co-Star in three different books for 20 years.

Starred in his own title for the last twenty years.

Green Arrow? probably not. you must mean a SA character

Exactly, do you guys really think buying an AF15 today is a wise investment? REALLY? A lot of other SA books have more room to appreciate, mainly 1st apps of villains, ASM 14, FF5, GL7 etc. These could grow way more rapidly than any of the other ''top 10'' which will probably stagnate in the affordable grades.

40 years from now, AF#15 may very well be seen in the same light as AC#1 and Tec#27 is today. If you believe that, then yes, AF#15 is a good investment.

I think Marvel does a little better job marketing Spiderman to the kids than DC does marketing Superman and Batman, just me though... (shrug)

Like I said there are at least 5-10 AF15s available for sale at any given time. How many Action 1s or TEC 27s have sold in the last year?... It's mainly a question of rarity. You miss out on one auction, there'll be another coming round the mountain. As a collector, I would love to own AF15; but as an investor, NOW is not the time to buy just my 2c

Rarity SHOULD beat out popularity

AF #15 Will be considered the AC#1 OR TEC #27 in the future,and I do believe it has much farther to grow,I know back in the eighties when a NM AF #15 was going for a 1000.00 dollars everyone said couldnt go any higher,please.We all know now dont we,in 40 years supply will have dwindled,and demand will increase.

A thousand in 1980 would have about five-thousand equivalent spending dollars today. (make your own conclusions).

I'm curious. Why do you believe the supply of AF15s will dwindle from the current supply? Do you know folks who are actively discarding them?

I'm thinking as collectors get older and begin to divest themselves of their collections, more AF15s will come to market.

supplies dwindle from natural disasters(fire,flood etc.) remember we were talking 20 years,right.Alot of things can happen in that time,but demand for such an Iconic character will not deminish 2c

In the next 20 years many more copies of AF15 will be found in closets and basements than will be consumed by fires and natural disasters, imo.

Riddle me this. Who and how much should a VF-NM copy (only 6 are available) of the origin and first appearance of a major character sell for? It is also a very tough book to find in high grade

Guest Star for years.

Hulk?

there's a lot of people absolutely sure of themselves in this thread, using what apparently is a lot of intuition and what one would charitably call severely incomplete data...if not just pulling stuff out of one's bung.

What's wrong with that? (shrug)

Didn't an FF12 go for 72K recently?

72K is at least two years of after-tax income for a majority of folks in the US, not to mention the entire world.

Obviously, this book is undervalued.

If we correctly project the market trends of the last 30 years, in the next 30 years, folks will be paying the equivalent of FIVE years of their after-tax income for this important item.

It is clear the kids of today and the adults of the future will take advantage of mortgages and loans specifically designed to allow purchase of HG comic books. As such, the market will always be healthy and money will always be made.

there's a lot of people absolutely sure of themselves in this thread, using what apparently is a lot of intuition and what one would charitably call severely incomplete data...if not just pulling stuff out of one's bung.

What's wrong with that? (shrug)

That is the whole point of this thread, some assume the market will continue to grow like it has the last year with every sale breaking, nay shattering, previous highs. Others tend to be more doom and gloom and predict a market correction once the billionaires find something else to throw money at. We shall see.

I don't agree. Why are 60's comics so expensive now? We all know supply and demand. We all know the limited supply. What about the demand?

Personally I grew up collecting comics in Bronze/Copper Age. As I earned more money and got settled into my career those are the comics I valued the most. Seems I'm not alone in that since BA has spiked considerably.

Kids now that read comics and then collect them later in life are going to value those comics they read early in life.

My wake up call here is Star Wars. Until the latest string of movies and new TV series I couldn't bribe my little guy to watch Star Wars. No interest in buying anything Star Wars related. Now is a different story but is that what the current "investor" is banking on?

I'm an X-men fan so I'll use #1 as an example. If I were to invest in a #1 high grade then what am I counting on? I'm hoping that 20 years from now the X-men have some demand. Not only am I hoping that X-men have some demand but I am also hoping that the comic book medium has some demand.

A recent article talked about record collecting which apparently has been making a bit of a comeback. The "new" record collector also collects rare electronic sound bites available only in MP3 format. How long before something similar happens to comics? Has it already started?

I'll stop now because I personally don't have the attention span to read a post this long.

2c

30 years from now, there probably wont even be a comic book market. I wish I had the forsight to buy up SA books in the 80's instead of GI Joes. cheap bronze comics.

Slightly altered but I agree. If only I could go back.

If you can pick 10 silver age keys from 1955 to 1967 to invest in, what would they be and why?

10 copies of GI Combat 87

Guide is still low on this book and it's not available in HG like some of the superhero stuff.

shhhhhh I still haven't gotten myself a copy yet!

One thirdgreenham had a couple for sale. :baiting:

Didn't an FF12 go for 72K recently?

72K is at least two years of after-tax income for a majority of folks in the US, not to mention the entire world.

Obviously, this book is undervalued.

If we correctly project the market trends of the last 30 years, in the next 30 years, folks will be paying the equivalent of FIVE years of their after-tax income for this important item.

It is clear the kids of today and the adults of the future will take advantage of mortgages and loans specifically designed to allow purchase of HG comic books. As such, the market will always be healthy and money will always be made.

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but back around 1983/4, a collector exchanged his house for two comics: a high grade Marvel Comics #1 and a high grade Detective #28 (yes, #28 - second Batman) so that precedent has already been established.

With regard to the present, I know of several collectors that opened personal lines of credit with their banks in order to purchase high end comics, and original comic art. And why not? Its an especially affordable time to get money from the banks to build a collection or accumulate for resale. Certainly more affordable than the 19% interest rates the banks charged in the very early 1980s.

With regard to the future, I don't see this trend slowing any time soon, especially as comics culture continues to merge into the mainstream.

Guest Star for years.

This question, as asked, refers to a Copper Age character. I mean, 20 years ago is 1989.

I was thinking John Constantine, but why would that be in the SA forum?

hm

Unless he means by "co-star...for 20 years" to be prior to him getting his own book.

Which can't be Green Arrow anyway, because he's a golden age character who never really went away during the late golden and atomic ages

Guest Star for years.

Wally West

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but back around 1983/4, a collector exchanged his house for two comics: a high grade Marvel Comics #1 and a high grade Detective #28 (yes, #28 - second Batman) so that precedent has already been established.

With regard to the present, I know of several collectors that opened personal lines of credit with their banks in order to purchase high end comics, and original comic art. And why not? Its an especially affordable time to get money from the banks to build a collection or accumulate for resale. Certainly more affordable than the 19% interest rates the banks charged in the very early 1980s.

With regard to the future, I don't see this trend slowing any time soon, especially as comics culture continues to merge into the mainstream.

That's an interesting story. How much did he spend on the two books? This wasn't the dentist you are talking about right?

But like you say - folks are already taking up lines-of-credit to buy comic books. Given the run-up in prices of the last few years, these folks know its better to get in now before it's too late.

This is obviously in anticipation of the future, when fathers and mothers will sign contracts binding themselves and their children to payments for long-term 70-year mortgages in order to own those HG AF15s that are worth millions of dollars.

After all, despite Superman, Batman, Hulk and WW TV shows in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, all those JLA and Batman cartoons in the 1980s and 1990s, and all the movies that came out in the 2000s, the comic medium will continue to penetrate into mainstream media, thereby guaranteeing that the values of all HG SA comic books will skyrocket in the years to come.

If you can pick 10 silver age keys from 1955 to 1967 to invest in, what would they be and why?

10 copies of GI Combat 87

Guide is still low on this book and it's not available in HG like some of the superhero stuff.

shhhhhh I still haven't gotten myself a copy yet!

One thirdgreenham had a couple for sale. :baiting:

Already bought my quota of stuff for this month and next month! arghhh got a Robin paratrooping OA piece coming shortly.