• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay User - Would You Risk It?

53 posts in this topic

A new user turned up on eBay UK a couple of weeks ago with some nice Bronze Bats among some other books. From what I can tell from the scans the books look OKish for the prices. I mailed the guy asking if he would email me some larger scans, but he refused and said he would offer full refunds if buyers weren't happy.

He's gained 7 feedback since he joined, and although most are from long-standing users, a couple of them seem very over the top.

His refusal to send scans is making me suspicious, would you buy from him?

Feedback

Books

I mailed again asking for large scans via email. Here is the reply:

Hi Gav,

Batman #237. A nice tight book,strong in colour,

Off white pages.Some small crease marks on front

cover.

Condition Fine.

Please note,if you buy any comics off me and you

are not happy with the Grade.

Send me back the comic and i will refund you.

Many thanks.

All well and good, but why the reluctance to send larger scans? At the end of the day, if someone isn't happy with the books wouldn't you rather them not bid than go through the hassle of refunding and selling the books again?

I'd risk it Gav, I'd be surprised if his feedbacks were from Shills.

You could always buy just one, then get several if it's worth it.

if the prices aren't too bad and he accepts returns, whats the worst that can happen? you aren't happy with the book and you just send it back?

I wouldn't trust anybody who refuses to send larger pics.

That was what I was thinking...

Agreed. (thumbs u

Yep, same here Gav :eek:

Yep. And the prices aren´t that good after all (shrug)

Oh, I don't know. If they are in the grades stated, some of them are coming in around 60-65% of Guide. Not exactly a rip-off.

Agreed. (thumbs u

Yep, same here Gav :eek:

Yep. And the prices aren´t that good after all (shrug)

The more I look at the books the more I tend to agree. One email from him would have helped me make that decision days ago.

I just don't understand the mentality behind it. OK so he will refund, but what are the chances he refunds return shipping? I don't want to pay $3 to look at a book I may or may not want.

If I had robojo's morals, I could send him a worse copy back. Emailing large scans is as much in the seller's interest as the buyer's. He has scans of the books, he has internet access, where's the problem?

I would much rather buy a book after seeing as much as possible to make an informed decision, and with the intention of keeping it. A refund is the last resort to a transaction. Not the basis of it.

At least he lists actual grades. Some board members don't even do that on eBay. :whistle:

Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing.

'Don't want to get questioned about my grading, or get accused of misleading people, so just give good scans and lots of info'. meh

Here's another approach you might want to consider. Don't bother ing selling if you don't know what you're doing! doh!